Excercise Your Dog
Edited by Debbie, Charmed, Maria Quinney, Eng and 9 others
Do you find that your dog is restless and is always pacing back and forth? Is it hyperactive and jumping around constantly? Does your pet still not settle down, even when reprimanded? Some people may think that your dog is acting badly or being rebellious. The truth is, this can just be a sign that your dog needs more exercise. Keeping your pet inside the house all day is not healthy, especially if it is a big dog. Pets need exercise, just as people do.
Who says dogs don't get severe diseases? If humans need exercise to stay fit and healthy, dogs need the same. They can also get sick if they do not exercise every day. Although there are different types of dog breeds, all of them can have the same benefits.
10 Helpful Fun Games to Exercise Your Dog:
- 5Get your pet on a treadmill.
- 6Tug of war.
- 8Adopt another dog.
- 9Run up and down the stairs.
Tips Tricks & Warnings
- Don't over-exercise your dog. If he starts panting heavily or has trouble breathing, it's time to stop exercising.
- Make sure your dog gets plenty of fresh water after exercising. He will definitely be thirsty!
- The most important thing is to love your dog. They only live for a short period, so show your pet what he or she deserves - love and care.
- When walking your dog, make sure not to let him or her walk you. Some owners do not know how to walk their dogs properly. First, the collar should be high up on his or her neck so that you will be able to have full control of your dog when he or she starts pulling on his or her leash. If your dog starts to pull, stop and stand like a tree, and then walk only when he or she becomes calm. Do the same method, once your pet starts pulling it again. Over time, your dog will learn to follow your orders. Dogs view their owners as masters, so they always follow them. If you let them walk first before you, your dog may think he or she has the full control over you. Walk first and your dog should be behind or beside you.
- When exercising your dog in a deep swimming pool or lake, always monitor him or her. Some dogs can panic and may drown.
- Always seek advice from a veterinarian about the right exercise activities suitable for your dog. Young dogs cannot sustain running or jogging with you, because their bones are not fully grown yet. In fact, these activities are not recommended for them. Large dogs, on the other hand, can have a hard time sustaining the activities because of their bones and joints. They will likely feel joint pain, muscle strains, etc.,
Questions and Answers
My dog is really lazy but I want him to get more exercise?
My dog isn't very old, he's a 5 year old lab. All he wants to do is eat and sit around the house. He doesn't seem to enjoy going to the park and playing.
The most common causes of a dog becoming lazy is either obesity or a more serious illness. Dogs are meant to run and play, but most importantly, they are meant to want to do those things. If you have tried enticing your dog to play and exercise with you by tossing balls, hooking him up to his leash and trying to walk him, and other ways that usually get dogs to play, you may need to take him to the veterinarian. Your veterinarian should be able to examine your dog and look for any potential causes for his behavior, including obesity, a bad diet, or another, more serious illness that your dog is suffering from. Let the veterinarian make recommendations for correcting the behavior, and make sure you take them to heart; you want to help your lab get better so you can enjoy his companionship and return your furry friend to his normal, playful demeanor.
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Dogs
Recent edits by: Jen M, MsBarbs, Calob Horton