Enjoy Your Thanksgiving Dinner with These Awesome Cocktail Recipes
Edited by Nerissa Avisado, Lynn, Robbi, Eng and 2 others
Thanksgiving dinners are feasts that just about everyone looks forward to. Most of the time, these dinners feature menus comprised of roast turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, gravy, yams, cornbread, pumpkin pie, and apple pie. Serving these traditional dishes is of course expected, and anyone who wants to serve Thanksgiving dinner in its most complete form would not dare skip any of these dishes.
However, as a creative hostess, there is nothing to stop you from adding some awesome non-alcohol cocktails that will enhance your dinner while you still keep everything traditional.
Thanksgiving cocktail facts
Very few people rush off to go home after Thanksgiving dinner because this is a special occasion for friends and families to spend time together. This is why a few cocktails would really come in handy - to provide something for friends to drink while chatting and catching up.
The best non-alcoholic cocktails for Thanksgiving are those that blend well with your menu. If you have a touch of cinnamon and nutmeg in your yams, you might want to put just a tiny dash of either in a drink that will provide a transition from such a rich dessert. You may also want to extend the distinctive cranberry flavor of your sauce. Or, you may want something lemony and refreshing to close the chapter on the roast turkey and gravy.
Most people become a little sleepy after a couple of generous slices of turkey because turkey meat contains an essential amino acid known as tryptophan. Because of this, most guests would welcome a strong cup of coffee after Thanksgiving dinner. You can certainly offer people at your table coffee, or you can up the ante by giving them a coffee cocktail.
This nutmeg treat will give you a whiff of the yams and the pumpkin pie on the buffet. However, the taste will transform it from anything that smacks of dessert.
- 1 ounce crème de cacao
- 1/2 cup strong black coffee
- A drop of vanilla
- Crushed ice
- A dash of nutmeg (you can use cinnamon if you prefer)
- 1Fill a shaker with crushed ice and crème de cacao and coffee.Advertisement
- 2Shake until thoroughly mixed and chilled.Advertisement
- 3Pour into g glasses and sprinkle with cinnamon or nutmeg.
Breezy Coffee Cocktail
This cocktail can help counteract the tryptophan from the turkey, leaving you not sleepy, but still cozy and comfortable.
- 1 cup espresso coffee
- 3 ounces Arkay-Non-Alcoholic-Brandy
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 whole egg (make sure it is really fresh)
- Crushed ice
- Sprigs of mint
- 1Combine all ingredients in a shaker and shake until everything is well chilled.
Zesty Lemon Sparkler
Here is a sweet, refreshing cocktail that will make you feel your palate has been rid of the heavy meal you just ate. This is a very well-liked drink so be ready to whip up a second batch pronto.
- 2 cups lemonade
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 cups sparkling grape juice
- Lemon rind for garnish
- 1Dissolve sugar with lemonade, lime, and orange juice.
- 2Pour mixture into an ice tray and freeze.
- 3Place about half a cup worth of ice cubes in tulip-shaped goblet.
- 4Pour white grape juice on cubes and serve when the ice cubes are just about melted.
- 5Garnish with lemon rind.
This cranberry fizz is really great. In fact, if you decide to serve it, be ready to mix a second and a third batch.
- ¼ cup syrup
- 10 sparkling grape juice
- 3 cups ounces cranberry juice
- 3 cups champagne
- Fresh raspberries
- Crushed ice
- Mint sprigs
- 1Mix syrup, grape juice, cranberry juice in a pitcher.
- 2For each serving, place about three fresh cranberries at the bottom of a cocktail glass.
- 3Then, add half a cup of crushed ice and pour cranberry champagne mixture.
- 4Garnish with mint sprigs.
Tips and Warnings
- Just because you are serving cocktails doesn't mean you have to act as the bartender the whole time while you have guests for Thanksgiving. Prepare as many of the ingredients as you can beforehand. This includes, first of all, the coffee and the lemonade.
- You don't need to serve all four cocktails for Thanksgiving. Choose maybe two that you like, or a couple that are easy to prepare.
- You can control the content of your cocktails by adding or reducing the things you use. Remember, you just want everyone to be mellow and relaxed.
- If you think you are going to be busy with lots of guests, prepare the Nutmeg Treat and the Zesty Lemon Sparkler. These two recipes allow you to make a lot in one sitting.
There is no user reviews.