Enjoy Your Philippine Holiday - Things to Do in the Philippines
Edited by Robbi, Eng, Christine Cruz, Dougie
The Philippines offer so many wonderful places to go and things to do. The cuisine alone is worth the visit, never mind the many fabulous places to Spend a Vacation in Multi-Island Philippines. When you come to the Philippines you'll fine a broad range of entertainment in the multi-island paradise.
While you are in the Philippines, of course you'll want to see as much as you can and to Stay Safe on a Philippine Vacation while you are visiting.
Learn more about the best places to visit, Choose Philippine Cuisine, and the most popular things to do while you are vacationing in the Philippines.
Sights and Spots Worth Visiting
- 1This is the oldest district in the Manila proper area (downtown Manila). This is also pertained to as the Walled City, because it is where government took office during the time of the Spanish colonization. Very distinct about this area are the walls surrounding it. These were really made strong in order to persist in potential invasion of foreigners. When you visit this place, the Spanish influence is very evident because of its overall look and aura. All of the establishments here follow Spanish architecture. The following are some of the popular establishments that you would find inside:Intramuros.
- Lourdes Church
- Manila Cathedral
- San Agustin Church
- Schools and Universities
- Adamson University
- Colegio de San Juan de Letran
- Colegio de Sta. Catalina
- Colegio de Sta. Isabel
- Lyceum of the Philippines University
- Manila High School
- Mapua Institute of Technology
- Pamantasan ng Lungsod ng Maynila
- Other Structures
- Casa Manila
- Palacio Arzobispal
- Palacio Del Gobernador
- 2This is just right outside Intramuros and its purpose was to guard Intramuros. Until now, this area had been well preserved.Fort Santiago.
- 3As mentioned, this is one of the establishments within Intramuros. It is a basilica, specifically honoring the Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception. This is worth visiting because the church's age and history make it look so lovely. It dates back from the 1500s. In fact, it is the top option in the Philippines for couples who are getting married. Various politicians and celebrities have already done their weddings here.Manila Cathedral.
- 4This is another popular church within the Intramuros area that has fascinating architecture. It was again built during the Spanish empire and is now being worked on to be one of UNESCO's World Heritage Sites.San Agustin Church.
- 5This is another establishment within Intramuros which allows visitors to learn more about the Philippines relationship with the Chinese. It is interesting to see how the Filipino culture is partly influenced by the Chinese.Bahay Tsinoy.
- 6This serves like a model house within Intramuros that reflects the luxurious and aristocratic lifestyle of the Spaniards.Casa Manila.
- 7This park was named after the National Hero, Jose Rizal, who was executed via firing squad when he LED various revolutions against Spain. This lies along a major highway called Roxas Boulevard, and is very near Intramuros. It is also right across the Quirino Grandstand where some major huge-crowd events are being held, especially those gatherings spearheaded by the government.Rizal Park.
- 8This is a highly recommended place within Rizal Park. This hosts various shows and offers local tours. However, the most striking about this place is that they serve various dishes and delicacies that are a clear reflection of the different cultures and local taste in the different islands of the Philippines. These are things to specifically watch out for at Mabuhay Restop:Mabuhay Restop Travel Café and Museum.
- Manila Vanilla. It is a musical comedy with a touch of pop culture directed by veteran artists in the Philippines Mr. Nestor Torre and Ryan Cayabyab. During the show, guess also enjoy a buffet dinner.
- Bayan Tour. This is a mini tour of the Rizal Park. There's singing, tour of the art exhibit, a live theater, lights and sounds intermission, and a tour of the museum in case it is available for viewing.
- Kalinga Tours. This is a different kind of tour because it immerses you to the real life in the Philippines through volunteerism. You get to see the Philippines from a different angle.
- 9The water here is not what tourist go after, it is actually the beautiful sunsets that people see here every single day.Manila Bay.
- 10This is the Philippines' first marine theme park that is within world-class standards. It is setup like an urban resort surrounded by marine attractions. There is a hotel within the facility that is also marine-life themed.Manila Ocean Park.
- 11This is a museum for children located in Ermita in Manila. They display a wide array of educational materials, from history to science, and the like.Museo Pambata.
- 12This is where most cultural shows are being performed. The plays and musicals here are of world class level and being participated in by famous Filipino artists.Cultural Center of the Philippines.
- 13This museum boasts of many interesting works of art. However, the most popular galleries here are the Gold Gallery and Ancient Pottery Gallery. Most of the pieces here amazingly date to as far back as 220 B.C., but are all well-preserved for education.Metropolitan Museum of Art.
- 14If you like collecting bills and coins from different countries, this is definitely worth a visit because you will get to understand more about the history of the Philippine currency.Money Museum.
- 15This showcases Belgian architecture. The entire church is made of steel and the overall style is baroque.San Sebastian Church.
- 16This is where the President of the Philippines resides. It was originally a private house but was bought over by the government in 1825. It overlooks the Pasig river. The palace museum inside welcomes the public.Malacanang Palace.
- 17This is at downtown Manila and is considered the major Chinatown of the Philippines. You would see everything that's typical among Chinese here, from temples to jewelry shops to authentic Chinese restaurants.Binondo.
- 18Cruz Church. This is situated just across Chinatown and is among the oldest churches in the country. It dates back from the 17th century but was renovated back in the 1950s.Sta.
- 19This church is dedicated to the Black Nazarene, which is said to have caused a lot of miracles already. Devotees normally attend mass here on a Friday, because it is considered Black Nazarene day.Quiapo Church.
- 20Dating back from 1611, this is definitely the oldest university in Asia. It is also one of the biggest Catholic universities in the Philippines. The entire campus boasts of well-preserved buildings that clearly reflect the Spanish era. One word of caution, however, is that you need to avoid visiting this university during rainy season as the area is notoriously known for floods.University of Santo Tomas.
- 21This zoo is much bigger compared to Manila Zoo, although visitors usually complain that it is difficult to located it.Avilon Zoo.
- 22This is one of the newest entertainment establishments in Manila. It is a very luxurious complex, with casino interiors carefully designed to resemble those in Las Vegas. Restaurant choices are plenty and will more or less satisfy the taste even of the most picky.Solaire Resorts and Casino.
- 23Ayala Center is more well-known as a commercial complex for shopping but it is actually more than that. Shopping here is varied in a way that you would be able to find shops from low-end to luxury. Dining options are close to endless. Greenbelt is one of its establishments and it has made it overall appeal different. It is like a city in the middle of a garden. You have a small park in the middle with a lovely rounded church.Ayala Center.
- 24This is located within Ayala Center and you can almost just pass by it if you need some educational diversion in your shopping. Ayala Museum showcases some really interesting pieces of art which dates back from the Spanish colonial time. The most striking among its collections are the gold jewelries dating back from over 400 years ago.Ayala Museum.
- 25This is located in the middle of Ayala Center, along Ayala Avenue. It is a garden which is usually decorated nicely during Christmas time and has become a favorite of a lot of families. The restaurant options here are quite good and the overall ambience is very cozy.Ayala Triangle Gardens.
- 26This is a popular place for night outs. This is a whole street lined up with bars, restaurants, karaoke, clubs, and the like. It is very near the middle of the business center of Makati, so it's not easy to miss this place.Jupiter Street.
- 27This is located in one of the huge buildings along Ayala Avenue in the business district of Makati City. They boast of some really nice painting collection.Yuchengco Museum.
- 28A trip around the campus of the University of the Philippines is worth it because you get to see some nice buildings and enjoy the overall natural atmosphere inside the campus. Here are what visitors of University of the Philippines usually do:University of the Philippines.
- Relaxing on the lawns. A lot of people enjoy just relaxing on the lawns, particular on Sunken Garden, which is one of the biggest fields in the campus. It is sunken in the middle to form a bowl-like structure, that's why the name is like that.
- Food trip. If you want to try street food, it is a good idea to try it inside the University of the Philippines campus. At least, you're somewhat sure that it is cleaner than what you would find on other streets, mainly because it is catering to students as its main customers. Street food is all around the campus. Also, the restaurants within the shopping arcade are also worth trying. You get to try some really nice Filipino dishes there at very affordable prices.
- Jogging. Because the campus is huge and there are proper sidewalks, jogging is very popular here.
- Biking. During weekends, when there aren't too many cars passing by, particularly on Sundays, bikers usually come in groups to roam around the campus.
- 29This is smacked right in the middle of Quezon City, that's why a lot of people are even surprised that one can find such a natural park and sanctuary in this part of the city. This makes it convenient for those who are seeking for a getaway from the hustle and bustle of the city, but do not have much time to travel. There are several activities that can be done inside this ecopark. It is ideal for both children and adults.La Mesa Ecopark.
- Bird watching. There are various types of birds that can be seen here, mainly because it is a very natural environment. Among the more noticeable species are Kingfisher, Ashy Thrush, and Flycatcher.
- Photography. Because the place has beautiful natural sceneries and various forms of life roaming around, it is heaven for photographers.
- Just roaming around the park to enjoy fresh air. The air in the city is rather polluted, so some people just go here to enjoy the fresh air. It is a nice treat after a busy week.
- 30This is inside the Ateneo de Manila University campus along Katipunan Ave. in Quezon City. Most people who have visited this place give the feedback that the collections are inside this place are rather diverse for a university art museum. It usually exceeds expectations.Ateneo Art Gallery.
- 31This area has recently developed over the past 10 years and has turned out to be a community that combines business, shopping, dining, and residential areas. There are various shows and performances here, although it is more on the small scale side because the area is not that huge.Eastwood City.
- 32This is a circular park, that's why it's called like that. It is named after Manuel L. Quezon, who is the city's founder as well. It is a good place for daytime family activities. However, at night time, it can be rather dangerous, because there are already reports of prostitution and robbery. Some things you can do here:Quezon Memorial Circle.
- Picnic. Some families just gather around here and do a picnic.
- Biking. There are bicycles that may be rented and you can bring this around the park.
- Running or jogging. For those who would like to run but do not want to do so in a very quiet place, this is ideal. You get to do it with other runners and the place is overall rather lively.
- New Year party. In recent years, it has become one of the most common places where shows are being performed on New Year's eve to gather people for the countdown.
- 33This is a zoo and park combined into one. You would see different types of animals, including some lakes and lagoons.Ninoy Aquino Parks and Wildlife Center.
- 34If you are intending to watch some major shows in the country, it is best to check the schedule at the Smart Araneta Coliseum. This is where most performances, both local and international, are being held.Smart Araneta Coliseum.
- 35If you'd like to play some golf without having to travel faraway, then the Veterans Memorial Golf Course is not a bad idea.Veterans Memorial Golf Course.
- 36This is located at the SM North Edsa mall, just across the last station up north of the MRT. The choices here for dining are varied enough that it suits both adults and children. It is good to do night outs here.Sky Garden.
Learn More About Philippines Vacations
- Spend a Vacation in Multi-Island Philippines
- Stay Safe on a Philippine Vacation
- Choose Philippine Cuisine
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Travel & Leisure
Recent edits by: Christine Cruz, Eng, Robbi