Endure a Marathon
Edited by Jerry Rivers, Robbi, Mian Sheilette Ong, Eng and 4 others
If you enjoy running and have never entered a marathon, you may find it a very rewarding sport. However, if you have any present physical impairments at all, hold off the intense training until you are capable of such a demanding endurance sport. Before you begin, you should be in good overall health. You should also have a personal goal in mind. Some people enter such races to complete the race or perhaps to establish camaraderie with other runners. Many are in these races as hardcore competitors, while few are at a world-class level. All are the different levels of a marathon are demanding. There are those with the least distance of 5,000 meters(5K) or about 3.1 miles. There run a length of 10,000 meters(10K) or 6.2 miles. Some compete in a half-marathon of about 21.1 km (13.1 miles). The most grueling have about 42.2 km or about 26.2 miles! With such long distances, you must train to run even the shortest 5K marathon.
The sporting event known as the marathon was established to commemorate Pheidippides-a Greek soldier who served as a messenger to Athens from the known Battle of Marathon. On an annual basis, about 500 different marathons are organized all over the world. Most of those who run marathons are athletes motivated by recreation. You can choose to run among dozens of participants or even thousands.
Why Run a Marathon?
People run marathons for different reasons. Some want to run for their health. These people do not really want to beat anyone to the finish line. Finishing the marathon is also not necessary to them. It's the exhilaration and the running that motivates them to push forward. They know that if they run, their health is going to be a lot better. Other marathon runners just want to finish an entire marathon run. Winning is not a priority for these people. Reaching the finish line in one piece is winning in their book. Of course, there are competitive athletes that run a marathon for the prestige of crossing the finish line.
Non-profit organizations and various companies also organize marathons to gain support for their cause. Because of the fast-growing health consciousness these past few years, more and more people have been registering in different marathons.
How to Endure a Marathon
When you decide to run a marathon, you don't just get up the next day and run. You have to prepare yourself well because a marathon is a test of physical and mental endurance. The following are some helpful pointers that will help you endure any length of the marathon:
- 1Remember to train.Advertisement
- 2Load up with carbohydrates.Advertisement
- 3Do not eat new food before or during your run. Doing this might make you sick. You should also avoid taking non-steroidal inflammatory drugs before you run because these will alter the blood circulation in your kidneys. This will then result in problems such as dehydration.
- 4Start running slowly. You don't have to run fast at the start of the marathon. By running at a slow pace, you build yourself up to the second phase of running. This is called the negative split.
- 5Run at your own pace.
- 6Don't be overtaken by your emotions. Excitement uses up energy. Conserve your energy by keeping calm. This way, you can maintain your mental energy all throughout the marathon.
- 7Defeat boredom. Long distance running can be boring. You can defeat this by playing games with your mind, talking to other runners, counting trees or just singing.
- 8Focus on other things. Instead of minding your pain during running or complaining that you're tired, focus on the view, other runners, posters, or spectators.
- 10Wear the right socks. Take note of this because running for hours needs comfort. Dry fit garments like shirts, socks, and shorts are recommended.
- 12Wear nipple band-aids. It may be difficult to accept, but men do suffer from nipple chafing when they run in cool climates. These band-aids will protect the nipples while running.
- 13Use the potty before you run. You have to clear your body of waste before you run. It is preferable to do this before leaving the hotel or your home.
- 14Find a buddy.
- Be patient during training. You can't be a well-trained marathoner in just a week or a few days.
- Download marathon-training programs online.
- Have a complete medical checkup before you start training and before you run the marathon.
- Take supplements every day to help you battle free radicals from stress during training.
Categories : Sports
Recent edits by: VC, Doug Collins, Lynn