Enable Fingerprint Scanner on Your Samsung Galaxy S5
Edited by Melsan, Alma, Eng, murugawarioba and 6 others
The Samsung Galaxy S5, it has a lot of new features you can explore, and one of those is the fingerprint scanner. The fingerprint scanner is built into the Home button. Although this feature is currently present on the iPhone 5S made by apple, on the Galaxy S5 it works differently. The difference is; the Apple iPhone 5S simply uses press and hold for you to unlock the phone, while Samsung requires you swipe vertically across the home button to register your fingerprint.
This new feature for Samsung Galaxy S5 is not just to unlock your phone home screen, but it's also an alternate way of entering passwords. The company that released the SDK for the Samsung Galaxy S5, has opened this technology to any developers. The SDK is being set to allow integrations of developers to their own apps on the Google Play store, due to the Pass API, which Apple did not allow. Samsung made it into the FIDO or Fast Identity Online Alliance that works to ensure your mobile security.
The very first application integrated with the fingerprint technology of the Samsung Galaxy S5, is Paypal. This is to authorize any payment of items or services that accept Paypal on mobile devices. Also, it can be used for gaining access to your own Samsung account.
- 1 How to Register Fingerprints on the Samsung Galaxy S5
- 2 How to Deregister Your Fingerprints.
- 3 FAQs
- 4 Samsung Galaxy S5 Tech Info
- 5 Questions and Answers
- 6 Comments
- 7 User Reviews
How to Register Fingerprints on the Samsung Galaxy S5
Registering your fingerprints on the Samsung Galaxy S5 is very easy. In a couple of steps you can register up to 3 fingerprints. The application for fingerprints can be found in the quick settings.
- 1Register your fingerprint. Tap on the home button, then to fingerprint dots on the screen.Advertisement
- 2Swipe it 8 times. You'll notice there are squares on screen. They indicate how many swipes you still have left.Advertisement
- 3Wait for a green circle to appear on screen before you move to the next swipe.
- 5After you've swiped the 8 times, wait for the green circle to appear, as it will determine if it's been successful or not.
- 7If you've been successful. Once you've registered the 8 swipes of your fingerprint, you will be asked to create a password as an alternative from the fingerprints you registered. Your phone screen will now switch to "Screen Unlock Settings".
How to Deregister Your Fingerprints.
Deregistering your Fingerprints is much more straightforward than registering them. You can use this method:
- If you made too many Fingerprints and want to delete one or more.
- If you want to delete a specific person's access to your device an/or add a different one.
- If you want to remove Fingerprint manager application to remove it.
In the Fingerprint manager, you'll see the Plus (+) sign again and the 3 dots. Tap the 3 dots and tap on "Deregister", then select the Fingerprint you want to remove from the list and it will automatically send it to the trash.
If you are using Fingerprint to unlock your phone
You need to do the following first!; Change the method to unlock your phone; then you can follow next directions.
- 1Go to Settings.Advertisement
- 2Scroll to Lock Screen.
- 3Tap on Screen Lock.
- 4Swipe your finger over the home key.
- 5Select screen lock (any available one).
- 6Follow the instruction on your screen.
Now you are ready to deregister your fingerprint or all the fingerprints.
The Fingerprint scanner is easier than memorizing sets of passwords or even remembering your pattern - that can be easily learned by someone looking over your shoulder. You may think it's a waste of time, but it's a very secure way to lock your device, and will come in handy if you forgot your password or your phone pattern.
How many fingerprints can I register?
You can register up to 3 Fingerprints on your phone, but that number might be increased in the near future.
Can I register different Fingerprints. Like my dad's, or mom's or my kid's?
Yes you can. It doesn't matter whose Fingerprint you register on your phone. The Fingerprint feature on the phone, is also like a user login for computers that you allow other people access to, when you give them their own user ID and password, but on S5 access is given with a Fingerprint.
Samsung Galaxy S5 Tech Info
Samsung Galaxy S5 is also known for the following models:
- Samsung SM - G900F the SM-G900H for Europe
- Samsung SM - G900I only for Asia
- Samsung SM - G900K - for Korea
- Samsung SM - G900L - for Korea
- Samsung SM - G900S - for Korea
- Samsung SM - G900M - for Vodafone
- Samsung SM - G900A - for AT&T
- Samsung SM - G900T - for T-Mobile
- Samsung SM - G900V - for Verizon
- Samsung SM - G900R4 - for US Cellular
- Samsung SM - G900P - for Sprint
Questions and Answers
I have tried to de-register my finger scanner and I got a message unable to de-register Fingerprints is currently set as the screen lock type for at least one of the following: Encrypt device, Exchange ActiveSync. Select another method and try again?
What does this mean and how do I get around it.
This might mean the fingerprint screen lock type is in effect and there might be some credentials you need to erase.
Let's start with the screen lock.
- Unlock the phone.
- Tap the home button.
- Tap "Settings",
- Tap "Lock Screen",
- Tap "Screen Lock", and
- Tap "Swipe" to change the screen lock.
Now, let us clear credentials.
- Tap the Home button,
- Tap "Apps",
- Tap "Settings".
- Tap the "More" tab.
- Tap "Security".
- Scroll down and tap "Clear Credentials".
Try to remove the fingerprints now.
There is no user reviews.
Categories : All About Samsung Galaxy S5
Recent edits by: VC, Fromerop, Nuance