Dress Up on Themed Party
Edited by Nerissa Avisado, Eng, Lynn, Julia Moliere and 3 others
A themed party is a type of party where decorations, food, and guests are dressed up in amusing pretence to go along with the motif or subject of the party. The best thing about being invited to a themed party is that it gives you the ticket to try on a new personality and be someone or something you've always secretly wanted to be - a princess, witch, siren, pirate, or a monster. After all, there's a Belle or a Robin Hood in each one of us dying to get out.
Origin of Themed Parties
Parties that require guests to come in a fancy dress can be traced back to Italy, during the Renaissance of the 16th century, to masquerade balls that were typical of the higher classed social scene in the United Kingdom during the 18th century. By the early 20th century, these events became elaborate affairs attended mostly by people with considerable means. From the late 1940s onward, themed parties became increasingly popular among the general population wearing cheap costumes imported from the Far East. Much later, party-goers were wearing hired or homemade costumes to fit into the theme.
Today, themed parties are practically the flavor of every celebratory event, especially for children's birthdays and around special annual events such as July 4th, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's. For these happy occasions, the host or organizer will create a theme to adapt to the entire concept of the party.
If you've been invited to a themed party, it can be difficult to decide how to dress up. Apart from the countless outfit options, you also want to be sure you're wearing the right one. Maybe you're that kind of person who shivers at the thought of being garbed in a fancy dress, or conversely, maybe you've always waited for themed parties to come by so you can dress up in some costumes that will bring out your animal sex appeal. Regardless of your preference, there is basic etiquette to observe when it comes to dressing up for an event.
Party Dress Code Etiquette
- 1To be or not to be, that is the question.
- 3Creative exercise.
- 4Know the party ambiance.
How to Choose the Perfect Outfit for a Themed Party
- 1Know the theme.
A themed party allows you to step out of the comfort zone of your everyday appearance. You can either choose an outfit that will magnify your personality or a dress that will reduce you to the background. It is important to remember that themed parties are opportunities to be creative so you can ultimately look swanky without appearing like a lame fool. There's a big difference between a cool costume and a hideously repelling outfit. Which one would you rather wear?
Tips and Tricks
- If it's going to be an adult party, it's safe to wear whatever outfit you like. But, you need to be more conservative if there are children at the party.
- Re-use various items from your collection of costumes. You can save much if you can transform Snow White's yellow skirt into a Teletubby body, or the lion's mane into a clown wig.
- Search for a fancy dress costume in budget stores since it is unlikely to be worn repeatedly unless you get invited to parties with the same theme again.
- Pick an outfit that people will recognize. Thinking outside the box is different from picking a totally unknown costume.
- The party might be a Murder Mystery night, when you'll be assigned a character in the game. It's up to you to do a little research. For instance, you've been invited to a Murder Mystery set in the Roaring Twenties, and your character is a flapper. Do a Google search in images on "Flapper", and you'll get an idea how to dress.