Download and Use Google Maps Offline on Android
Edited by Jay
Google Maps is exceptionally convenient for navigating around areas that you're unfamiliar with. As long as you have a Data connection, it can act as a pretty decent standalone GPS system. But what about those situations when you're either low on Data or out of range, but still need to reference a map to get around? This is when downloading Google Maps to use offline comes in handy.
As long as you know the area you'll be navigating around in; you can select it on Google Maps when you have an active WiFi or Data connection, download it, then pull it up later when you're device is offline. You can also update your downloaded maps before using them offline. This is similar to how people used traditional paper maps back in the day, only now, it's the digital version, and it's right on your Android device.
In the following VisiHow tutorial, we're going to show how to download, manage, and use Google Maps offline. For this article, we used a Google Pixel running Android 8.1.0, but as long as your device is using the current Google Maps app, you'll be fine.
Download a Google Map to use Offline
Make sure your device is connected to either WiFi or Data before attempting to download a map.
Update and Manage Saved Maps
Sometimes things change on a map such as traffic or construction. So, it's often a good idea to update your offline maps before you need to use them. To update your maps, you'll need to be connected to either WiFi or Data.
- 3From the Offline maps screen, tap the three-dot menu to the right of your downloaded map.
- Update - When selected, your map will be updated to reflect any recent changes. A WiFi or Data connection is required to update.
- View - Tap this to view your map. You can be offline to view your map, and in some cases, navigation will also be available.
- Rename - Tap this option to rename your map.
- Delete - Tap this to delete the saved map.
View a Saved Map Offline
As mentioned in the previous section, you do not need to be connected to view a downloaded map, as it's saved to your device locally.
Offline Map Settings
- 6The third option on the Offline maps settings screen is, "Download preferences". Tap this and select either; "Over WiFi only", or "Over WiFi or mobile network".
There is no user reviews.