Do Yoga Warm Up
Edited by HealthNut, Eng, VisiHow
When warming up for yoga there are a number of sequences of moves you can use to get properly warmed up. You can use any of these positions in any sequence you desire to warm yourself up, but we would recommend you start with very basic moves and work your way up to some more complex ones in order to get through to every part of your body. There are also a number of good and relaxing songs you can listen to while doing your warm-up yoga sequence that will help ease your mind and energize your muscles.
Make sure you use gentle fluid movements and you synchronize this with slow and deep breaths. If you would like a deeper effect to your sequence, then feel free to hold each stretch or pose in the sequence for 1-2 breaths.
However, with the example sequence we are about to show you, it is advised that you do not attempt some of these poses or stretches if you have any recent or chronic injury in your arms, neck or back, as these can be aggravated during this sequence.
What will you need to begin your warm-up?
- Although many of these stretches and poses can be performed on the floor with very little difficulty, it is recommended that you have a yoga mat you can use.
- Stretch yoga trousers.
- A baggy shirt or a vest that will allow you to move your arms as freely as possible.
How to warm-up step-by-step
- 3Keep your arms perpendicular to the sides of your mat while you do this. Ensure you round the spine as much as you can and relax into the position, keeping your head and elbows down towards or onto the floor.On your out-breath, round yourself forward and place your palms on the floor in front of you.
- 4Breathe in deeply again and raise your fingertips to the ceiling once again trying to keep your shoulders down as much as possible.
- 5This will help to warm up the center of the torso and your hips if done correctly. Place your left hand onto the opposite knee with your right hand placed behind your back. Then look over your right shoulder and try to look behind you. Keep your spine stretched and your shoulders down.On your next exhale twist your body to the left.
- 6Inhale again and stretch your fingertips towards the sky a third time.
- 7This time place your right hand over your left knee and lightly place your left hand behind your back. Then look past your left shoulder and look behind you as much as you can. Remember to keep your spinal column as long as possible and your shoulders down.On this out-breath, twist to the right instead of the left.
- 9Try to stretch as much as possible through the right fingers while keeping your left elbow as close to the floor as it is comfortable for you. Do not try to push farther as this can cause injury. Keep your chin away from your chest and arch your right arm over your left ear.When you breathe out again, place your left hand onto the floor and make an arch facing left.
- 10Inhale again and stretch your fingertips upwards.
- 11Try to stretch as much as possible through your left fingers while trying to keep your right elbow as close to the floor as is comfortable for you. Keep your chin away from your torso and arch your right arm over your left ear.When you exhale this time, place your right hand onto the floor and make a second arch, this time facing right.
- 12Breathe in and stretch your fingertips to the sky.
- 14Press out your chest and look upwards towards the sky as you do so.Inhale and swing your arms back behind you, reaching back through your fingers again.
- 16You can repeat this warm-up if you want or modify it if you so desire.
See our other yoga tutorials:
- Learn Yoga with the Warrior III Pose;
- Learn Yoga with the Warrior II Pose;
- Learn Yoga with the Warrior I Pose;
- Learn Yoga with the Table Pose;
- Learn Yoga with the Plank Pose;
- Learn Yoga with the Happy Baby Pose;
- Learn Yoga with the Forward Fold Pose;
- Learn Yoga with the Cow Pose;
- Learn Yoga with the Corpse Pose;
- Learn Yoga with the Cat Pose;
- Learn Yoga with an Easy Pose;
- Cool Down After Yoga;
- Learn Yoga to Tone Up
- Learn Yoga to Improve Balance;
- Learn Yoga to Improve Flexibility;
- Learn Yoga with the Tree Pose;
- Learn Yoga with the Childs Pose;
- Learn Yoga with the Downward Dog;
- Learn Yoga with the Mountain Pose.
Categories : Sports
Recent edits by: Eng, HealthNut