Determine What Massage Works for You
Edited by Jonathan, sheryl hernandez, Eng, VisiHow
Massage is a form of alternative therapy which originates from the ancient civilizations. Today, it is considered as an important supplement to traditional medicine to enhance the overall fitness of a person. Different types of massage techniques have variations in touch pressure, technique, areas of the body focused on, and desired outcome. These techniques can also be combined for maximum benefit.
Types of massage
- 1Swedish. It is the most popular therapeutic massage in the world.Advertisement
- 2Reflexology. Application of pressure to areas of the hands and the feet which are called reflex zones.Advertisement
- 3Hot Stone massage. There are people who have tension in their muscles but would want a light massage.
- 4Deep tissue massage. Unlike traditional massage wherein the goal is to provide relaxation to the client, deep tissue massage strives to deliver the person seeking this alternative therapy relief from chronic pain to tense and contracted areas such as low back tightness, sore shoulders, and stiff neck. During this massage, the movement of the therapist is slower, the pressure is deeper and harder, and is concentrated on tense and painful areas. When done effectively, deep tissue massage will break down adhesions (bands of painful, stiff tissue) in tendons, ligaments, and muscles.
- 5Cranial Sacral Therapy.
- 6Aromatherapy. In doing this, the therapist uses two or more scented essential oils that address the need of the client.
- 7Sports massage. This is a therapy specifically geared towards athletes when they have injuries or when they simply want some pressure on specific sore parts of the body such as the knee or the shoulder.
What is TMJ and TMD?
The lower jaw or mandible is connected to the temporal bone of the skull by a hinge joint called the TMJ or temporomandibular joint.
This is a flexible joint which allows for the smooth up and down and side to side movement of the jaw. It allows you to talk, chew, and yawn with the muscles attached and surrounding this jaw joint controlling the jaw position and movement.
TMD means temporomandibular disorders which happen as a result of problems with the jaw, the jaw joint, and the facial muscles which surround this area and control jaw movement. Stress, which tightens the jaw area, and grinding/clenching of teeth are among the causes of TMD.
Cranial Sacral massage therapy are among the many alternative remedies suggested to alleviate TMD.
What are the four types of sports massages?
- 1Pre-event sports massage. Done 15 to 45 minutes before the event, it targets the focus part or parts of the body that will exert much effort during the event.
There is no user reviews.