Design a Layout for a Herb Garden
Edited by Emmanuel M. Lardizabal, Rebecca M., Robbi, Eng and 2 others
Herbs are plants which are used for a variety of purposes. They may be used to flavor food, as medicine, or to create perfume.
Herbs have provided scientists with information that is important to our health as well as to our safety. They also provide a good scent which catches the attention. There are many ways to plant herbs, as well as many different ways to lay out your garden when planting them. Three main herb garden layouts which each have their own advantages and purposes are the most common varieties, but everyone will have their own ideas too. The garden layout depends on the choice of the designer and on the space available when making the herb garden.
If you have large space or even enough space in your backyard, then you can transform it into an herb garden, which will be helpful and beneficial to you and your family. It may also be helpful to your neighbors, who may be in need of herbal medicines and plants in the future. Aside from saving money on buying medicines, you are also preserving herbs for future medication.
Three types of herb garden layout
- 1It is a popular method which is used in herb gardening. Usually, each pot is for one herb, so that there will be no mixture of different herbs that may cause confusion. But you can also combine two plants of the same kind in one pot. One of the reasons why each pot is for only one herb is to avoid the plants from crowding and to give the herb the chance to grow faster and have the nutrients from the soil which is reserved for it. The plants, when they are segregated, will also be more likely to achieve the height and size appropriate for them. You can also use big cans and containers as improvised pots if you don't have enough pots for the herbs.Container planting is commonly used when herbs are being placed in pots which suit the herbs.
- 2Standard outdoor planting is planting of herbs in a bed. The herbs which are planted in the bed should be classified so that the small plants will be planted separately from the herbs which grow large to avoid them being covered. They need to have access to the sun's rays. In standard outdoor planting, it will also help you in estimating the space needed for such herbs. You can place additional herbs in the bed when there is more space to consume the space provided. Moreover, the herbs will be receiving more nutrients from the soil since it is not in a pot.Standard outdoor planting.
- 3In decorative planting, herbs or plants are placed in different beds which are made to form a design. Decorative planting may also be used in designing the herb garden, since plants may be used as decorations by hanging them. In using this method, you also need to consider the height and the spread of the plants and whether they are crawling or not. You can also do decorative planting in a wide yard, which will give an attractive appearance and design to your grounds when they bloom. You can use herbs as decoration by planting them in hanging pots and hanging them around the herb garden in a pattern.Decorative planting.
Things to consider in making layout for herbs
- 1If the herbs are not going to grow tall, then you can place them in a pot or containers. If the herbs will grow taller than usual herbs, then you need to plant them in a bed. The bed where you will plant the herbs may be in a wood box, or just in plowed soil. Height should be considered so that you will know how high the cover of the herbs needs to be. Again, small herbs, or herbs which will not grow tall, should be planted in one area, while herbs which would grow tall shall be placed in another place.You need to consider the height of the herbs to be planted and whether they will be large or small when the plant matures.
- 2If the herbs are the kinds that are going to spread, then you need to have a wider place. You also need to plant the herbs in proportional space provided so that they will not crowd each other. The herbs which spread should also be separated from those which are not spreading to avoid damaging other herbal plants as they grow.You also need to consider the spread of the herbs.
There are ways to utilize the space
- 1You can make many decks - as many as you wish - to have more space for other herbs. In placing decks, more plants may be placed in your herbal garden and more herbal plants will be available for you when you are in need of them. You should try to plant the small herbs on the decks, so that they will not consume too much of the space designated for other herbs.You can best utilize space when it is not enough to cover all the herbs by placing a second deck as an extension of the first deck.
- 2It is good to separate non-herbal to avoid confusion of the plants. Moreover, non-herbal plants, when mixed with herbal plants, might take the nutrients from the soil reserved for the herbal plants, which will also affect in the production of the plants.You can also separate non-herbal from herbal to utilize the space for your herbal garden.
Other things to consider
- 1You might also pick different herbal plants when you are not familiar with it.Always put labels on the herbal plants so that you will not be confused of its name and the use.