Deal with Workplace Romance-Should You or Shouldn't You
Edited by Mian Sheilette Ong, Eng, Lynn
People dream of spending their lives with someone with whom they have a lot in common. One ideal place to find a match is the workplace. Professionals here have a "common" company and a "common" cause. It appears to be one of the best places to find a mate and establish a romantic relationship. Romance can happen at any time in the workplace because it is where you spend most of your waking hours. You can easily spend eight to 16 hours with different people. In doing so, you learn to know someone better and a romantic relationship blossoms. There may be positive outcomes to I,t but there will always be negative ones as well. Before you engage in workplace romance, you should assess everything first. This will give you confidence to make the right decision about whether you should go for it or not.
Benefits of Engaging in Workplace Romance
Having a romantic interest in the workplace can be an exciting thing. It somehow removes the conventionality of a day office job. The following are some of the major benefits that you get if you decide to have a romantic connection at work:
- 1You save time. Socializing after demanding work hours can be impossible to do most of the time. A workplace romance gives you the chance to establish a relationship while you do your job. You won't have to spend as much money and time searching outside the office premises. You can simply have a date during lunch hours or breaks. Seeing each other is not an issue because you're in the same floor or same department.Advertisement
- 2You have the chance to know the person better. You spend a lot of time at work, so you spend a lot of time with your co-worker. This gives you the chance to really know what type of person you're interested in. When you know the person well enough, you will have a smoother relationship.Advertisement
- 3You can go home together. It is very convenient to have a relationship with a co-worker because you can just carpool. You can spend time together all night and then go to work together the following day.
The Downside of Workplace Romance
All relationships have their downsides. Here are some consequences that you may have to face while in a workplace romance:
- 1There is constant friction. Being together all the time is not that easy as well. Constantly being with each other results to annoying moments and petty disagreements. Time for yourself is also valuable. You tend to enjoy the things you do and appreciate yourself without your partner.Advertisement
- 2Professional duties are interrupted. When you have issues with your partner, you tend to disregard the importance of your office duties. Tasks are often delayed and this will result in a decrease to both of your productivity levels.
- 3Jealousy arises. Office or workplace romances are often kept secret. Because of this, jealousy takes place when there are other co-workers stepping into the scene. Office flirtations happen and this can be very irritating, annoying, and destructive.
- 4Rivalry and favoritism happens. It's a workplace, so it's a hub for career formation. Competition and rivalry usually get in the way of the relationship and become part of the relationship. This is very unhealthy. There may also be moments when favoritism could be an issue, especially when a subordinate and a boss are dating. The relationship usually ends very badly.
How to Deal with Romance in the Workplace
Workplace romance is not illegal. The possibility of ending up with the perfect person for the rest of your life is welcomed in settings like the office. However, you do have to make sure that you don't experience the pitfalls involved. Below are some tips on how you can deal with workplace romance the right way:
- 1Be friends first. Foster friendship with the person you're romantically interested in first. Give it a year of casual friendship so that you don't find yourself rushing into a romantic relationship in a risky setting.
How the Employer Should Face Workplace Romance
It's an unavoidable fact that many office workers engage in relationships with co-workers or with their superiors. If this takes place, the employer should take note of the following tips for facing such an issue:
- 1Do not establish a policy against office romance. This only makes things worse because the employees are forced to keep their relationships secret. They are forced to sneak around and lie. The policy against workplace romance also informs the workers that the company has the right to meddle with their private lives.
- 2Know when to step in. The employer only has to step in when two co-workers are becoming too distracted to work because of the relationship, or if a superior and a subordinate are dating. There may be sexual banter or displays of affection that can make other employees uncomfortable.
- 3Consider the legal obligation. If there is a brewing relationship in the workplace, the employer should be aware of it so that sexual harassment accusations can be avoided. If ever a sexual harassment accusation is presented, the employer can confirm if there is a relationship that took place.
- 4Know when to split up the couple. If things go haywire, the employer could easily separate the two parties by transferring them to different departments.
Finding someone special in the workplace is a beautiful thing. It adds inspiration and gusto to what you do. It also makes you want to get up early and go to work. Just make sure that you have the ability to test the waters first to determine how you will fare in workplace romance.
- Don't be too forward with your intentions.
- Be mindful of your words and actions.
- Be honest with your employer about your romantic relationship in the office.
- Do not let your relationship get in the way of your productivity.