Edited by estrella sacragon, Lynn, Eng, Pia Marie Villamante and 1 other
Criss-cross!!! Getting into the cross stitching realm!
Cross stitch has become one of the world's most popular hobbies when it comes to doing arts and crafts.
Cross stitching is easy to learn and is not a very expensive hobby, which is why a lot of people, both young and old, are getting fascinated with it. This craft is basically a simple type of embroidery stitched with different little X stitches to come up with cute and lovely designs.
Conversely, this interesting craft is also referred to as counted-cross stitch since both the fabric and pattern requires you to count all the number spaces so you will be able to identify where to place your stitches.
Cross stitch can be done using several different types of cloth. Essentially you will use an even weave cloth and a round tipped needle in order to create the design.
The cloth which is most common is called Aida cloth. It comes in several different sizes so you will have seven stitches per inch, or nine stitches, or fourteen stitches or twenty one stitches. Aida cloth looks like this:
How to Cross Stitch
- 1Know more about the patterns that you're going to use. Most often, cross stitch patterns are made with the use of a woven fabric called Aida cloth. But for the more advanced crafters, they can create designs with the use of other types of fabrics, although they use a special backing to help them to keep their stitching uniform.Advertisement
- 2The cross stitch fabric. Basically, the type of cross stitch fabric you can consider using will depend on your general level and skill of the craft, along with the design you intend to create. You can have cross stitch designs with practically whatever you want, from bedding to children's clothes, home designs to wall decors. These artistic showings of your creative juices can help you create a more personalized idea, thus making them perfect gift ideas for special occasions.Advertisement
- 3Proper thread. The proper thread is also an important key to achieve the right cross stitch project. Usually, the thread counts used in cross stitching range from cotton to silk to wool threads. There are also those very colorful threads, called embroidery floss, that come in different kinds of textures and colors that you can play with. For beginners, it is essential that you learn about the general knowledge of the craft before you start shopping for supplies.
- 4Find cross stitch supplies. You can find cross stitch supplies from your local book shop, craft store, or library, where you can also most likely find a lot of books and guides to help you get started with your cross stitch projects. There are also books where you can find different cross stitch patterns to start with.
Commonly Used Types of Stitches
Tips for Beginners
- 1Beginners should start doing projects that only require very few colors of threads and Aida cloth with larger weaves. That way, you will keep yourself from getting frustrated into doing something you will not be impressed with in the end.