Create a Wi-Fi Hotspot in Samsung to Laptop
Edited by Jerry Rivers, Lynn, Eng, Dougie and 3 others
With the convenient technology of the Android operating system (OS), you can turn your Samsung Galaxy S3 mobile device into a hotspot. Here you will see how easy it is to make it a WiFi hotspot in easy-to-follow steps. Then you can connect your Laptop to the internet using your Samsung Galaxy S3.
How to create a WiFi hotspot with your Samsung Galaxy S3 for your Laptop?
- 1If new to the Galaxy S3, to turn it on, press the Home Button at the bottom center, and hold for a few seconds until your screen turns on.Advertisement
- 2Just to the left of the Home Button is the Settings Menu Button. Tap it and the settings menu will pop up. It is a touch screen, so you "tap" a selection with your finger.Advertisement
- 3Tap the Settings. It has a gear icon beside it.
- 4Select Tethering and portable hotspot
- 5Tap the little On button just to the right of Portable WiFi hotspot.
- 6A screen will appear with "Attention!" "Enabling portable WiFi hotspot..." at the bottom. Tap OK.
- 7Tap Portable WiFi hotspot at the menu.
- 8Tap Configure at the bottom right corner of your screen.
- 9On the screen are: Network SSID, Security, and Password.
- At Network SSID , type in the name of the wireless network that you will use to connect your Laptop to the internet.
- At Security , select the security level that you desire. I recommend the WPA2 PSK. However, if your Laptop does not support it, you can select WPA or WPE. You can choose Open Network, but just be aware that other people within range of your WiFi hotspot can also use the internet from it.
- At Password; enter your password of at least 8 characters.
- Tap Save at the bottom of the screen once you are satisfied with the three entries.
- 10Now, just tap Connect to your chosen wireless network for your Galaxy S3 and your Laptop.
Your new portable WiFi hotspot will allow up to 5 devices that are WiFi capable to connect to the internet. You are good to go!
How to turn off the WiFi Galaxy S3 hotspot
- 1To turn off the portable WiFi Galaxy S3 hotspot, swipe your finger along the screen from the top, displaying the menu of notifications.
- 2Tap Portable WiFi hotspot. It will now say, "1 devices connected to portable WiFi hotspot", i.e., your Laptop.
- 3Tap the green icon switch to turn off the WiFi hotspot.
Tips Tricks & Warnings
- Be aware that sharing your WiFi hotspot connection with your Galaxy S3 may be costly. It will vary, depending on your mobile data package.
Questions and Answers
I have internet via cable to the laptop....I want to make it a WiFi hotspot for my smart phone?
I have a Samsung laptop. Can I turn it into a hotspot like my Samsung Galaxy phone?
You will need to know if your laptop has WiFi at all. If it does not, you will need to buy a USB dual-band adapter. Any will do. For example, N600 WiFi USB Adapter 802.11n Dual Band from Netgear.
Then, you need to broadcast your Internet cable connection.
- 1Press the Windows key.
- 2Type cmd.
- 3Right-click "cmd.exe" and select "Run as administrator".
- 4Type "netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=MyHotSpot key=12345". You will create a hotspot with the name MyHotSpot and password 12345.
- 5Type "netsh wlan start hostednetwork".
- 6Press the Windows key.
- 7Type "View network connections" and press "Enter".
- 8Right-click your Ethernet connection.
- 9Click "Properties".
- 10Click the "Sharing" tab.
- 11Check "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection".
- 12In the drop-down menu, choose the network connection that has the Internet access.
- 13Click "OK".
You can also use Virtual Router (free) by downloading and installing it. Then, just type the name and password, choose the shared cable connection, and click "Start Virtual Router". Alternatively, you can use Connectify (paid) to share your connection to other devices.
There is no user reviews.
Categories : Samsung Galaxy
Recent edits by: DeleteQnA, VisiHow, Dougie