Create a Group of Contacts to send Email to Group Members in Microsoft Outlook
Edited by Eng, Charmed, Rich, Lynn and 1 other
For those of you, who send identical email to several contacts, there is a very handy option called Group in Outlook. You can group several contacts to a group you define, for instance, Group "Car Retails" in which you group all your contacts of the interest to that group. Now when you need to send an email to those contacts, you can simply select that group in the field of "To:"
Now let's go through creating a group step by step, on Microsoft Outlook
How to send email to select members of a contact group
- 1Expand the group in the "To" field.Advertisement
- 2Delete the people from the "To" field that you wish to remove from the email.
- 3Send the email to the select members.
- 4Otherwise, follow the instructions above to make a new group.
Tips Tricks & Warnings
- If a contact is shared in more than one group, you may add that contact to each group.
- Creating a Group will save you time and efforts of selecting several contacts when you need to send them emails.
Do's and Don'ts When Sending Emails to Groups
- 1Not all messages will be relevant to everyone all the time. One of the most common time wasters in a company is when employees keep on getting copied on emails that are not really necessary for them to receive. It takes a lot of time having to go through all of these emails and assessing how each relates to you. This can also create a lot of confusion. If you receive an email and it asks someone to do something, you may get confused how you should participate in that particular activity. Therefore, even though sending email to groups is rather easy because of this function, you should not overuse it, especially when it's not really necessary. It will save everyone a lot of time if the sender of the email carefully considers the target recipients first before doing anything.Do consider if each of the group members really need to get that message.
- 2This is again one of the most common mistakes of managers who don't care enough about the welfare of employees. It is very easy to send just one message with individual messages in it. Not all messages are positive though. While this particular behavior saves a lot of time in terms of not having to draft single emails for one person, this may be rather demotivating. It would have been better if you are addressing one person but you are saying something positive. In other words, tactfulness and sensitivity are crucial in group messages.Do not reprimand or send sarcastic remarks to one person while everyone else can read it in a group email.
- 3Even if you are personally impressed in an article or material, consider if it's necessary to send it out to many people via email. Always keep in mind that whatever you appreciate, other people may not find it to be the same way. Therefore, before even hitting the send button, consider the reaction of the people receiving your message. You do not want to add up to another spam mail that clogs Inboxes and consumes the receiver's time in sorting it out.Do not send spam messages.
Questions and Answers
Outlook contacts - group e-mail?
I just want to say Thank you , this was helpful, Have a nice day
Sending group emails using Outlook is a breeze. Here's how you can go about with it fuss-free:
- Create a Contact Group. This feature allows you to compile specific email addresses and organize it in one list. You can assign it a name that describes the group; such as "Gym Buddies"or somethings similar. To create a Contact Group, you just have to click on Contacts, go to Contact Group, and designate a name for the group.
- Add Members. Once you have made a Contact Group, you can now add members by clicking on Add Members to add people from your Address Book, Outlook Contacts, or a new email contact. Just select the names of the people you want to be included in the group and click on Members. After you have added all member names, just click OK then tap on Save and Close buttons. Your contact group will now appear on your list of Contacts.
- Forward Contacts. If someone wants to send a group email to a certain contact group, you can just forward him the Contact Group. To do this, just go to Contacts >> Contact >> Contact Groups >> Forward >> Choose as an Outlook Contact; and then send the email. He can now easily drag and drop contacts to his Outlook.
- Send email to Contact Group. You can readily send group emails to Outlook Contacts by just typing the Contact Group name on the To: line which will then be replaced as individual email addresses by Outlook. You can hide the individual email addresses of the group by simply indicating the Contact Group name right on the BCC: line. If you don't want everyone to see everyone else's addresses, type the Contact Group name on the BCC line. You can proceed to typing the group message and then hit "Send".
Yes, you can actually make groups on your Outlook account so that when you need to send the same message for a group of people, you don't need to type the addresses one by one anymore. All you need to do is click on the group name and then message will get sent to everyone. It will save you a lot of time.
You can also include one contact to different groups. You just need to add his or her email address to the group that you created.
Categories : Microsoft Suites
Recent edits by: Lynn, Rich, Charmed