Create Basic Shapes in Adobe Illustrator
Edited by vanessa, Crystal, Eng, Dougie and 2 others
Hello and welcome to VisiHow. In this video, we are going to look at how to create basic shapes in Adobe Illustrator. This is our second article in the series on Adobe Illustrator.
- 2Today, we're going to focus on the shape tool, which is the second tool from the top on the right side. It looks a bit like a rectangle. Clicking and holding on the tool will bring up a short menu of options. You can create various types of shapes using this tool by clicking on the desired shape in the menu.Advertisement
- 6Another way to use the ellipse tool is to just click wherever you want the shape to appear. Click anywhere on the screen, and a box will appear where you can set the desired width and height of the ellipse. This is especially important in creating a circle. A circle is an ellipse that has the same width and height.
- 8Another useful tool for creating shapes is the color selection tool. It is located a bit further down on the main toolbar. It consists of one solid square on the upper left with another square slightly behind it and to the right. The square in the background only shows color on the outside of the shape. The solid square in front is called the fill, and the square in the back is called the stroke. This is just another name for the border around the shape.
- 10Another way to change the color of the stroke is the drop down menu at the top of the screen, located just below the program's main menu bar. A shape's stroke or border can be changed by clicking on the arrow next to the outlined shape. The fill color of a shape can be changed by clicking on the arrow next to the solid color
- 12As previously mentioned, the solid colored square represents the fill, which is the color inside the shape. Double-clicking on the fill will bring up the Color Picker again, where the desired color can be chosen. The fill color can also be changed using all the previously discussed methods of changing the stroke color.
- 13We will continue learning how to make more basic shapes in our next video. You've been watching how to create basic shapes in Adobe Illustrator. Thank you for watching VisiHow. Have a great day!
Video: Create Basic Shapes in Adobe Illustrator Part 1
Hi, and welcome to VisiHow. In this video, we're going to continue looking at how to make basic shapes in Adobe Illustrator. In the previous video, we learned how to use the ellipse tool, and now we will learn how to use the other shape tools. Right beside the ellipse tool, there is the polygon tool. This tool can be used to make any shape that has more or less than three sides. The polygon tool can be used to create a triangle.
- 17Now that you've watched this video, you should be able to work with the tools in Adobe Illustrator. You should be able to fill it with any color or gradient that you'd like, and set the border and stroke to any color that you'd like, as well. If you have any questions or comments, please post them in the section below. Thank you very much for watching VisiHow. Have a great day.
Video: Create Basic Shapes in Adobe Illustrator Part 2
Categories : Software
Recent edits by: Jen M, Dougie, Eng