Cook Oriental Beef Stew
Edited by mahalia jovita b. bugasto, Eng, Lynn, Rebecca M.
There is one thing my mouth always craves, and it is the salty sweet taste of one of my husband's specialty dishes - oriental beef stew. He usually cooks this when we celebrate our anniversary, or if we have some friends over, and during special occasions like a birthday. We first tasted this when we ate at a Korean restaurant in Manila and we liked the taste. When we went home to Pampanga, my husband experimented with flavors until he had found the right recipe to replicate the stew we ate. Once he got the flavors he wanted, then he just replicated the recipe and served us with a mouthwatering dish. I do not really know the origin of oriental beef stew, but one thing I am sure of is that the soft and tender beef, with the beef soup that has the sweet and salty flavor, plus the noodles pack a powerful dish that we love and I am sure that you will too. The oriental beef stew that we tasted in Manila was spicier; since we have kids we cannot serve them a stew that is too hot and spicy. So, my husband re-engineered the broth to be sweet and salty for all types of people to enjoy, young or old. Let me share with you this simple recipe to prepare and cook oriental beef stew in the comfort of your home.
- 11 kg beef brisket or beef ribs (meat with bones does well with stews)
- 21 stalk of baby leeks, cut into 2 inch lengths
- 3½ cup soy sauce (regular)
- 4cups beef stock
- 51/3 cup brown sugar
- 61 Tbsp sesame oil
- 72 Tbsp sesame seeds (toasted)
- 81 piece Star anise
- 93 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
- 101 red onion, peeled and sliced thinly
- 11fish sauce1 Tbsp.
- 12ground pepper1 tsp.
- 13A handful of spring onions, minced (for garnish)
- 14Sliced chilies (optional)
- 15== Directions ==
- 16Reserve the broth for the stew.-Pre-boil the beef in a pressure cooker and once tender and soft, drain the beef and set aside.
- 17-Sauté the garlic using the sesame oil until golden brown, then add the onions.
- 18-Once the onions are translucent, add the beef and sauté it until beef is brownish in color.
- 19Then add just enough of the beef stock to cover the beef. (If you don't have enough stock to submerge the beef add a little water)-When the beef is brown, add the soy sauce and stir for about a minute.
- 20-Add the star anise and allow mixture to boil for about 20 minutes to allow the beef to absorb the flavor.
- 21Add sesame seeds and onion leeks. Boil for another 2 minutes.-After 20 minutes beef is super soft and tender and the oil of the meat is already visible.
- 22-Season with fish sauce and add ground pepper
- 23-Serve the oriental beef stew in a bowl and garnish with spring onions
- 24Simple and easy but savory and juicy!Bon Appetite!
Categories : Meats & Main Dishes
Recent edits by: Lynn, Eng, mahalia jovita b. bugasto