Cook Mexican-Style Rice
Edited by Jerry Rivers, Graeme, Lynn, Eng and 1 other
Mexican cuisine is a favorite dining pleasure for millions all over the world. It can be prepared in a rice cooker or in a traditional deep pot as well. It is delicious prepared both ways. While in Texas, I learned to cook Arroz a la Mexicana in a covered deep pot from a lady born in Ciudad Juarez. There are variations of this dish, depending on the region of Mexico.
In a Mexican restaurant you will savor this dish with frijoles (refried beans), a fried egg (huevo frito), and/or avocado. So, this is just one that I know and would like to share with you, thanks to Josephina "Josie" Trevino.
The other recipe can be prepared and readily cooked with no stirring needed in a rice cooker. Thank you, Mariane Betoca, for this easy-to-fix recipe. I hope you try both recipes and enjoy both as much as I have over the years! !Buen Provecho, Amigos!
You can use butter, margarine, or lard in place of oil. You can also use lingotes de pollo, or chicken bullion in place of chicken broth to enhance the taste of your Mexican style rice.
You will need a large pot or "jarra" to cook this delicious dish. It will feed up to six hungry people. This tasty Mexican style dish can be prepared within 30 minutes.
- 1Large heavy duty pot or traditional Mexican jarra (large clay cooking pot)Advertisement
- 2Large cooking panAdvertisement
- 3A ladle or large spoon
- 5Food blender or food processor
- 11 ½ cups of medium or long grain white rice.
- 2Two large chopped fresh tomatoes.
- 3Three tablespoons of vegetable oil. I recommend extra-virgin olive oil as it is the healthiest cooking oil.
- 4Three cups of chicken broth or chicken bullion.
- 5Two cloves of finely chopped garlic.
- 6Three Serrano peppers
- 7One carrot, finely chopped
- 8Four ounces of peas
- 9One sprig of fresh cilantro
- 10One chopped medium onion
Steps to prepare
- 1Place the rice in a large bowl.
- 2Pour hot water onto the rice until it is completely covered. Stir a few times, and then set it off to the side for several minutes.
- 3After several minutes, set a strainer in a sink. Pour the rice and water into the strainer as you pour cold water over it until the rice is cooled. Allow the rice to air dry. It does not have to be completely dry before the next step.
- 4In a large pan, heat the oil at a medium setting and add your rice carefully.
- 5Cook for about 10 minutes, or until the rice is light brown. Be sure to stir periodically.
- 6Once cooked to a light brown, carefully pour the oil from the cooked rice. You may wish to do this with a ladle or large spoon.
- 7Pour the chopped tomatoes, onion and garlic into food processor and blend until it's a smooth consistency. Then, pour it over the cooked rice, still in the pan.
- 8Stir it all over medium heat for several minutes until all of the mixture is absorbed by the rice. Make sure that it is not sticking to the bottom of your pan.
- 9Pour the broth, chopped carrots and peas onto the rice and stir until mixed well. Now cover the pan.
- 10At a medium setting, cook the mixture until the broth is fully absorbed. This will take several minutes.
- 11Use a fork to check the rice to be sure that the broth is fully absorbed. If not, continue cooking at a low setting until the broth is absorbed.
- 12Once the broth or bouillon is absorbed, keep the rice covered and set it off the heat to cool.
- 13Add salt to taste as you fluff up the rice with the fork. Lay the Serrano peppers on top, and garnish with cilantro. The rice is now ready for serving. Enjoy! !Disfrutalo!
How to cook Mexican style rice in a rice cooker
This is a convenient way to cook Mexican style rice in a rice cooker with an easy-to-prepare recipe. It is also as savory as that delicious rice you get in a Mexican restaurant. Kitchen preparation and cooking to your dinner table only takes about 25 minutes. This recipe will also feed up to six people.
- 11 ½ cups of long grain rice
- 21 clove of diced garlic clove
- 33 cups of chicken broth or chicken bullion
- 46 ounces of tomato paste
- 52 heaping tablespoons of butter
- 64 ounces of diced serrano peppers
- 7Pinch of red pepper flakes and a pinch of ground black pepper
- 81/2 diced onion
- 91 sprig of cilantro for garnishing the rice
Steps to prepare
- 1Stir all of the ingredients in a large bowl, except the cilantro, until mixed thoroughly.
- 2Pour all of the mixed ingredients into your rice cooker.
- 3Cook until the chicken broth is absorbed, and then remove the lid.
- 4Allow the rice to cool for a few minutes.
- 5Place the Mexican style rice into a large dish. Garnish with the cilantro sprig.
- 6Fluff the rice as you add rice to taste.
- 7You are now ready to serve a delicious Mexican style rice dish to your happy eaters! It's delicious and savory! ! Esta delicioso y sabroso!
There is no user reviews.
Categories : Cooking
Recent edits by: Eng, Lynn, Graeme