Cook Long Beans and Squash in Coconut Milk
Edited by mahalia jovita b. bugasto, Robbi, Lynn, Eng and 1 other
Ginataang Sitaw and Kalabasa is a favorite dish in the Philippines, which translates to "long beans and squash in coconut milk". This is a Filipino delicacy that has been passed down from generation to generation.
Filipinos are natural experimentalists, and this concoction has been tested and proven for years. This is a dish that can be seen in millions of households in the Philippines. It can be served for almusal (breakfast), tanghalian (lunch), and hapunan (dinner) partnered with fried fish or smoked fish. Surely your taste buds will explode with its delicious goodness. My mom is a working mom and she is seldom at home, but I make it a point that whenever she is around, I ask her to cook for us this specialty dish. It is always a treat for everyone in the family .That is why I want to share with everyone the recipe for Ginataang sitaw at Kalabasa. Here's how to cook this very scrumptious meal.
This meal will serve 3-4 people
- 31/2 clove of garlic, peeled and minced
- 41 whole medium sized onion, sliced thinly
- 5Yellow ginger about 2 inches in length, minced
- 71 can instant coconut milk or you can buy raw shredded coconut meat (Niyog)
- 9Salt or fish sauce for flavor
Method for coconut milk:
- 1For the Gata or coconut milk - if instant coconut milk is not available
- 2Shredded coconut meat (Niyog)
- 4A large basin
- 5A medium basin for the coconut milk
- 6A fine stranded strainer
Procedure for raw coconut milk:
- 1Let it settle for about 5 minutes.In the basin, submerge the coconut meat or Niyog in hot water.
- 3Strain the coconut milk for any large pieces, set aside.
Procedure for cooking the dish:
- 1In a wok, add about 3 tablespoons full of cooking oil and when the pan is hot, saute the garlic until it is golden brown.
- 2Add the onions and saute until onions are translucent.
- 3Then add a cup of water, and bring it to a boil for 3 minutes.Once the onions have caramelized, add the pork belly and stir for 2 minutes.
- 4Bring to a boil again.Add the squash, and after about 2 minutes, add the long beans.
- 5Once boiling, add the dried fish as well.When the vegetables are tender of half cooked, add the coconut milk.
- 6Boil for about a minute or two.Add salt or fish sauce and flavor to taste.
- 7You will know the dish is cooked once the stew is thick.
- 8These simple procedures will harness a very flavorful, delicious and scrumptious meal for the whole family to enjoy!
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Cooking | Ethnic Foods
Recent edits by: Eng, Lynn, Robbi