Cook Goat Stew
Edited by sheryl hernandez, Rebecca M., Robbi, Eng and 1 other
While goat may not be a typical addition to the American menu, in many other cultures it is a staple ingredient in many cuisines.
It can be used in kabobs, braised, stewed, or curried, and it is really quite delicious. The taste is a bit like combination of beef and lamb. It has a little less of a gamy taste than that of lamb, but the meat is a bit more oily than most beef.
Braising or stewing seem to be the most popular ways to prepare goat because the meat is sometimes tough and requires some extra time to reach the desired tenderness.
- 2 kilos (2 lbs)of goat meat, cut into stew sized pieces (1 inch cubes)
- 45 ml (3 Tbsp) cooking oil
- 30 g (2 Tbsp) all purpose flour
- 5 g (1 tsp)teaspoon oregano
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) orange juice
- 500 ml (2 cups) goat stock (beef or chicken stock may be used.)
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) cup red wine
- A dash of cinnamon
- A large pinch of Cumin
- Salt to taste
- 2 PCs. Bay leaf
- A pinch of white sugar
- 3 Medium size carrots cut into cubes
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 225 g (8 oz.) of string beans, cut into small pieces
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) of fish sauce
- 1/2 liter ( 2 cups) of Water
- 1Sear meat evenly on each side until browned.In a large skillet over medium high heat, place cooking oil and meat.
- 2Saute until the onion begins to turn translucent.Add onion, oregano, cumin, and salt.
- 3Add flour and fish sauce and stir to coat the mixture.
- 4Add stock, orange juice, water, red wine, cinnamon, bay leaf, and sugar and bring to a boil.
- 5Reduce heat until the stew is just simmering.After mixture is boiling, transfer to a large stew pot and add carrots and string beans.
- 6Additional flour can be added to adjust thickness.Simmer until the meat becomes tender and the stew begins to thicken.
Tips and Hints
- Try adding any of your favorite vegetables to this stew to suit your own tastes.
- Serve with fresh bread or rolls for a hearty, delicious meal.
- For a make ahead dinner, brown the meat and place all of the ingredients in a slow cooker set to medium for 6 to 8 hours.
Categories : Meats & Main Dishes
Recent edits by: Eng, Robbi, Rebecca M.