Control the basketball game as a PG (Point Guard)
Edited by Ephraim, Charmed, Alma, Nuance and 1 other
This article will show you how to take over and control the game as a Point Guard on your basketball team.
- 1Trust. As the Point Guard, you will need to gain the trust of your fellow teammates by working with them effectively by being a team player. Some point guards often confuse leadership with dictatorship meaning that some would rather make their team respect them, rather than showing them they can trust their PG through leadership. Ball hogging shows the their fellow team members they are not trust worthy. It is important to be seen as a team player by everyone, depending of course, on the situation. You can also gain the trust of your team by remaining aggressive and confident as their leader. It's very important to be sure of yourself, regardless of the situation, to be a great leader. Even when you experience a loss, you need to remain confident.Advertisement
- 2Tempo. As the PG you will create the tempo for your team during the game, so it is important to take advantage of the other team when they seem to be a bit tired or slow during game play. During the game, it is essential to tire them out and not give them a second to catch their breath or rest. Movement by your team causes the other team to move as well, which can use up their energy, which is always a good strategy.Advertisement
- 3Communication. This is necessary to be a great Point Guard. Always listen and talk to your coach and players. As the pilot of the team, you need to be able to communicate with your players through signals and phrases that the other team will not pick up on. It's also important to listen to your teammates, for they may have insight on the other team that you don't have, or noticed things you haven't noticed, and communicating with your players will allow you to exploit the weaknesses of the opponent.
- 4Judgment. As the point guard, you will be faced with decisions; to make quick shots, speed up the tempo and ensure your team gets back on the defense. By applying certain defense tactics, you may cause the other Point Guard to change his tempo during the game, which in turn, may give your team an advantage or a break down your opponents plan.
- 5Know your role. As the Point Guard, it's not your job to just score, but this position has other responsibilities. It's important to ensure that you have the basic skills necessary to be a Point Guard. A Point Guard controls the game more than other positions, by passing, scoring, defense, offense and balancing the court effectively to take advantage of the other team.
- 6The cut. The cut is a powerful weapon in the Point Guards arsenal. Make sure you cut aggressively and that your passes to the cut get where they're going successfully. Point Guards who are not familiar with the cut, risk the chance of losing out on the points that could have been made through this skill or option.
- 7Handling. If you are not a ball handler, then you will more than likely not be the Point Guard, as so often it's the Point Guard with the ball in his hand during much of the game. Make sure you learn the basic skills of ball handling, instead of the flash and dash that some get hooked on before learning the basics. Fancy ball handling won't do anything for you if you don't have a good foundation of handling the ball. Ball handling will change the pace and momentum of the game, if used correctly.
Questions and Answers
How is a point guard supposed to control the game?
They are supposed to control the game by speeding and slowing down the tempo of the game. Their movement is the start or focal point regarding how the offense will be played out at the current time. When it comes to the tempo and also the flow of the game, everyone follows the Point Guard in the game.
The point guard is basically the team's quarterback. He handles the ball and dictates the tempo of the game. If he has a running team, he can move the ball up and run fast breaks in order to get points quickly. On the other hand, if his team is being outscored and out-hustled, he may want to slow the game down and play the half court game. He'll set up his big men to post up, and run some plays to score while taking time off the clock.
How to change the tempo of the game in basketball PG?
By increasing your speed, as well as how frequently and often the ball is passed, will alter the performance of your team during the gam.. A PG who runs a lot will speed up the tempo of the game, and a PG that slows down their movement will slow up the tempo of their offense.
As the point guard you can simply slow down the tempo by walking up the court as you dribble, your teammates will notice your slower movements, and will follow your lead. Also you can request the ball, or while dribbling, call out your team to slow down.
There is no user reviews.
Categories : Basketball
Recent edits by: Nuance, Alma, Charmed