Control Your PS4 With Voice Commands
Edited by VisiHow, MsBarbs, dygard, Eng
One of coolest new PS4 features is the voice command function. With this feature you can easily command your PS4 to start a game, take a screenshot, play a song, open the library, and much more. To do this you'll need a headset or just any set of ear bud headphones with a microphone. This can be easily plugged into your Dualshock 4 controller. Alternatively you can also use your PlayStation Camera.
Below you'll find a complete set of detailed steps and additional tips to help guide you through the process.
Use Set Up Voice Commands on the PlayStation 4
Note that this feature is not enabled by default in the factory settings of your PS4 gaming console.
You'll need to enable it to start giving commands. Don't worry though, setting it up is easy. Follow the steps below to enable the 'Operate PS4 with Voice' setting.
- 1If you don't have headphones, use the ones that came with your cellphone.If you don't have a PS4 camera, you will need to plug your PlayStation headset or personal headphones to your DualShock 4 controller.
- 2Once here, you should see a list of options.On your PlayStation home screen, go to the settings menu.
- 3This will take you to the system menu.Select 'System'.
- 4This will turn on the setting to control your PlayStation with voice commands.Mark the check box next to the 'Operate PS4 with voice' option.
- 5Now you can talk to your PlayStation.The voice command function is now enabled.
Using Voice Commands to Control Your PS4
Using voice commands is very simple. Whenever you want to use this feature, just say 'PlayStation' and the Voice Command option will be displayed. You can also press the 'L2' button if you're on the home screen. Once you've given the 'PlayStation' command to start Voice Control, you will see the 'Microphone' icon on your screen.
You can now use the voice commands to control your PS4. Here are some of the most common voice commands:
- 1This will start the game or app that you want.PlayStation + 'Name of the Game or the App' + Start:
- 2Once you say this command, your PS4 will take a screenshot.Take Screenshot:
- 3This command will open the 'Internet Browser'.Internet Browser + Start:
- 4This will show the 'Music Unlimited' section on your PS4 home screen.Music Unlimited:
- 5The commands will show you the 'Video Unlimited' section.Video Unlimited:
- 6You can say this to see the 'Library' section on your PS4.Library:
- 7You can use this command to switch between users. On the login menu screen, you can say the user's name to switch the user.Login:
- 8You can say this command to enter the log off menu screen.Start Power:
- 9If you want to turn your console off, you can use this command on the log off menu screen.Turn Off PS4:
- 10You can say this command on the log off menu screen to set your PS4 into rest mode.Standby:
- 11In order to confirm a popup, you can say 'Yes'.Yes:
- 12This command will cancel the process or the popup.Cancel:
- 13You can say 'Back', if you want to get back to your last page or screen.Back:
- 14This will show you the PS4 home screen.Home Screen:
- 15You can say this command to open the TV and Video section of your console.TV and Video:
- 16This will show you the 'Live From PlayStation' section.Live from PlayStation:
- 17During your game play, say this command to record a video clip from your gaming.Save Video Clip:
- 18You can use this command while playing a game to start a broadcast.Start a Broadcast:
- 19You can stop your broadcast with this voice command.Stop a Broadcast:
- 20This command will show your messages menu.Start Messages:
- 21You can see your friends list by saying this command.Start Friends:
- 22You can always say this command to see a list of all the available commands that you can use to control your PS4.All Commands:
Additional Tips and Suggestions
- Use a good microphone, as one with poor sound quality will cause voice commands to be misunderstood or ignored by the console.
- If you have an accent, make sure to pause between each word of the command. Your PlayStation is very good at interpreting the commands, but if you don't pause between words, it can cause commands to be misunderstood.
- Remember to speak loudly and clearly when giving commands for the first time. This way you can make sure they work. Later you can try them in a lower voice to find out an acceptable level that you are comfortable with, and that your PS4 can understand clearly.
Warnings on Voice Commands
- Remember that voice commands can also be used during game play. Make sure you aren't giving your PlayStation commands when you want to be chatting or talking to friends you are playing with.
- Some commands, like powering down your PS4, can't be taken back. If you give this order by mistake you can't change it, and will need to restart your PlayStation console after it powers down if you want to keep playing.
Questions and Answers
It keeps saying can't operate the PS4 with your voice right now?
I just want to know, it won't work and keeps saying that. I have tried: Turning the PS4 off then on. Cutting the voice thing off then back on and used two different mics
It is a bug that has been introduced first in the firmware version 2.00. If you have any application running that uses the microphone, you will not be able to use voice commands. This includes online lobbies in games.
To solve it, go out of any lobbies. Also, do not forget to keep your PlayStation 4 updated. You can download and install the latest firmware update at this location: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/system-updates/ps4/.
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Gaming
Recent edits by: dygard, MsBarbs, VisiHow