Edited by Debbie, Charmed, Innocent Yogo, Ephraim and 1 other
Your sister ruins your favorite blouse. Your brother takes your coat without asking you. Maybe your teacher gives you an unfair mark on your test. You're on your way to work, and your car stops working. These situations can trigger feelings of anger within us. An article in Health magazine by Dr. Georgia Witkin-Lanoil explains: "As the brain reacts to an infuriating event,the autonomic nervous system is aroused. Adrenaline, released from the adrenal glands, begins to pour into the bloodstream, increasing heart rate and respiration, and stimulating the release of stored sugars for energy". With what results? "Actions we take under the influence of our own adrenaline continues Dr. Witkin-Lanoil,"are often overreactions. We scream, hurl hateful semi-truths, hit, damage or destroy, or leave the scene in a huff". Yes, anger can make us say things we don't mean. We can lose our friends or family because of it. What are some ways we can control anger before we explode?
When it comes to your anger you will need to learn how to control it best in order to stop from making any mistakes or lashing out on a person angrily. When a person acts on anger they make mistakes and some time inflict harm on others in the situation. A lot of crimes and also other acts of harm have been linked with anger in many situation so to protect yourself as well as other you will need to learn how to control your anger in different situations. Below are ways that you can in fact help yourself to control your anger and protect yourself from things that anger can bring when not being able to control your anger.
What You Can Do To Calm Yourself
When you are stricken with anger you will need to understand that lashing out will not prove to be something that you will want to allow to build up against anyone. There are certain things to consider when you are angered so that you will understand the importance of holding the anger in and letting it out another way instead of letting it out on another person. Below are things that you can focus on in order to better your situation as it pertains to your anger.
- 1Understand that by taking the time out to control your anger you are rewarding yourself by bettering yourself in your current situation.
- 2By thinking positive you are also promoting positive thinking and happiness in your life.Think of how the positive thing to do is letting go of the anger which in turn can help you to be better person rather than taking your anger out on someone else in your current situation.
- 3By realizing that their are other ways to handle certain situations you will not conform to anger as much when something does not go your way in life.Come to realize that you can in fact handle things without lashing out in anger towards people in your current situations.
- 4Even though taking breaths may sound silly it works in order to allow you to take time and think about your actions.Take deep breaths in order to help calm your down, by taking deep breaths you are allowing yourself to fully calm down before releasing anger out against someone.
- 5By staying in the same area that is angering you it is unlikely that the anger will die down before you do something that is considered to be irrational.Get away from an area that is causing you to be angered at the time, this will prove to be very helpful at times when you reach the point where you are angry about a certain situation.
- 6Instead of playing into the situation with the other person walk away for nothing is shameful about walking away from a situation as an adult.If you are in a situation where someone has angered you then the best thing to do will be to leave the situation before you do something in their presence that can harm them in the current situation.
- 7Understand that by hitting someone you are escalating the situation you and the other person in a negative way which is something that can prove to be a problem for you in the end.Do not by any means subject yourself to dishing out bodily harm onto a person no matter how angry you are at the time.
- 8The person who gets angry quick or is a "hot box" (in slang terms) is someone whom people will try to avoid being around to stay away from the person who kills the happiness in certain situations.Understand that by being a person that gets angry quickly that people will not want to be around you at times.
- 9By stopping your angry nature you will in fact gain people who desire to be around you rather than having them run away from the site of you at an event of environment.
- 10Think basically how you would want others to treat you in order to ensure that you do not make the mistake of humiliating them or saying something hurtful.Be considerate to others when you become angry for by being considerate you will refrain from lashing out against people when you are angry.
- 11Think of reasons that you are easily angered and ensure that you are not doing anything of this nature to others for they will also get as angry as you are in situations.
- 12If you feel like reprimanding someone then do it in the dark and calmly so you do not in fact embarrass them or yell at them in an angrily way as to provoke them to anger which can be to be a big issue between two people who are both angry.
- 13Sitting down allows you to relax and get your thoughts together while you are in comfort at the time of the situation.When angry do your best to sit down and calm yourself in the situation so that you can in fact get your thoughts together before you do something that can harm you or another.
- 14The counting is not what helps you but the time that you take in order to get your thoughts together about that you should do next in your situation.Count to 10 in order to allow yourself to get your thoughts together about the situation so that you can put forth some positive thinking in regards to your situation.
- 15This goes hand in hand with the situation if you are in an environment but this pertains to a direct person that you are personally with such as a boyfriend or girlfriend.Take a break from the person who is making you angry so that you do not in fact say something to hurt their feelings or further anger them while in a conflict.
- 16While you are angry think about a situation that has made you or happy or has made you laugh in order to brighten up your situation.When stricken with anger do your best to think about positive things when you are angry for this can help to promote positive thinking while you are going through an anger situation within life.
- 17By letting your anger take over you in life you can in fact miss out on opportunities that could have been given to you if you weren't such an angry person. People can pick up on your angry vibe and attitude which in turn can hurt you from getting rewards in life.Understand how your anger can ruin chances in your life by the way that you project it towards others.
- 18This pertains to stranger or people that you may not know because by not fully knowing them you will not know their role in life or situation which can come to bite you later on in the future.DO not say hurtful things to people because you never know when you will come back into contact with those people.
- 19Use the negative energy in order to do something positive and productive in life rather than inflicting your anger onto someone else while going through your anger situation.Take your anger out in other ways which can include going to gym and hitting the weights or even by playing a sport.
- 20While getting this advice from your friend ensure that you are taking their advice to heart for they are your friend and should give you their honest opinion. By hearing it from a friend you may take it more to heart than a stranger for you and your friend have a special bond.Talk to a close friend in regards to your anger for they will be able to give you an honest opinion in regards to your anger so that you can help to fix yourself in regards to your anger that you project.
- 21Talk to family members in order to gain a perspective from them for by not only your friends but also family will give you their honest opinion in regards to your behavior.
- 1Take a break and breath deeply. Count up to ten. Think of some positive ways you can remedy the situation that made you angry.Breathing.
- 2It is better to go for a walk if you feel you cannot control your emotions before you lash out and hurt someone.Leave the Argument.
- 3Just take a few moments to think before you say something you will regret.Think Before You Speak.
- 4Sit down and think of what made you so angry and think of positive ways to overcome it. Sit down with the person you were arguing with and try to work things out in a peaceable manner.Resolve The Problem.
Tips Tricks & Warnings
- Get help if your anger is out of control. Talk to your doctor about anger management and attend the anger management classes.
- Pray to God for help at the right time when you feel angry. Pray for peace.
- Be forgiving. If you have a forgiving heart, you will be able to let go and move on even when you feel very hurt.
Categories : Mental Health
Recent edits by: Ephraim, Innocent Yogo, Charmed