Compensate for Lost Sleep
Edited by Richelle, Eng, Rebecca M., Maria Quinney and 2 others
There's no replacement for complete 7-8 hour of sleep. The only way to reverse the feel of sleepiness to simply get more sleep. When you are at sleep you let your body and mind relax after the long day of fun and work. You are also repairing,restoring and cleaning up your body system. New things you learned are being processed, memory are being restored and the immune system are producing new cells to protect you from common diseases. When you didn't get the enough sleep you disturb the whole cycle. We exert effort just to get this standard sleep requirements but there are times that you are being push to sleep late and wake up early such as work shift,overtime,gimmicks other emergency cases and sleeping disorders. Exposing us on fatigue and drowsiness. But there are ways you can minimize the lethargic and groggy feeling cause by inadequate sleep. Below are the tips you can do to help you stay alert and a live even you lost your usual sleep pattern.
- 1 SLEEPS LOSS HAPPENS WHEN:
- 2 COMMON SLEEP DISORDERS
- 3 Effect of Lack of Sleep
- 4 WAYS TO COMPENSATE FOR LOST OF SLEEP
- 5 IF YOU HAVE TO WORK AT NIGHT HERE'S WHAT YOU CAN DO
- 6 TIPS
- 7 Questions and Answers
- 8 Comments
SLEEPS LOSS HAPPENS WHEN:
- 1You work too many hours in a row.
- 2Waking too many hours in a row.
- 3Experiencing interrupted sleep.
- 4Internal Body clock also known as Circadian Rhythm that is located in our brain, a biological clock that process the pattern of time and how we should react on different biological activities in our body such as body temperature, brain wave, hormone production, cell regeneration and including the interpretation of day length. In connection with the sleeping pattern the body clocks set the body to sleep in the night and stay wake in the day.Going Against your body clocks.
- 5Sleep disorders.
COMMON SLEEP DISORDERS
- 1When you have insomnia you have problem sleeping or staying asleep. In this situation you still feel tired in spite of having enough sleep. TYPE OF INSOMNIAINSOMNIA.
- ACUTE INSOMNIA. The condition where your sleep disorder don't usually last a week and goes away even without treatment.
- CHRONIC INSOMNIA. Last for long term and requires medication.
- 2Where there is a sign of loud and frequent snoring, sudden choke while you sleep, head aches, experience constant urge to urinate, pause breathing while sleeping, waking up with dried mouth and sore throat.SLEEP APNEA.
- 3You have Narcolepsy when you experience sudden sleep attack. People with Narcolepsy although they keep a complete sleep at night they still feel tired. After talking a few nap their sleepiness returns.NARCOLEPSY.
- 4These are commonly to children. People with Parasomnias talk while sleeping, bed wetting, sudden groaning, sleep walking and other unwanted events or reactions during asleep.PARASOMNIAS.
- 5Light snoring may not affect your sleep but heavy snoring may associate with Sleep Apnea.SNORING.
- 6If you feel itching and burning while lying down and during sleep. You can cease the pain by waking up and walking but can return after you return to bedRESTLESS LEG SYNDROME.
- Sleep disorders are can be treated. Inform your doctor if you are having trouble sleeping or staying as sleep or staying awake.
Effect of Lack of Sleep
- 1Be ware of the sign of fatigues below:Fatigue (Tiredness).
- You are rubbing your eye lids
- You Find your head dropping
- Repeatedly Yawning
- Heavy eye lids
- Some believe they are not fatigue because they aren't experiencing the above symptoms but a poor performance maybe a sign of fatigue
WAYS TO COMPENSATE FOR LOST OF SLEEP
- 1TAKE AT LEAST 20-90 MINUTES NAP.
- 2"Sunlight activates the brain," says Dr. Frisca L. Yan-Go, medical director of the UCLA Sleep Disorders Center. The moment your eyes open, the light that shoots down in the optic nerve on to your brain's stimulate the production of hormones that regulates everything in our body from how we think to how we feel.
- 3Avoid the lazy weekend sleep-ins.
IF YOU HAVE TO WORK AT NIGHT HERE'S WHAT YOU CAN DO
- 1LIVE CLOSE TO YOUR JOB.
- 2DON'T DRIVE.
- 3FORGET THE QUICK FIX.
- 8If you want to sleep in the day after your night shift don't avoid exposure to sun.
- Make action to increase your quality and quantity of sleep by sleeping at night as much as possible. Your body need 7-8 hours of regularly.
- Listening to the radio in high volume and chewing gum is some common myths that it not good practice. It won't reverse your sleepiness.
Questions and Answers
Can rest compensate for lack of sleep?
I don't have the opportunity to have a nap when I don't get a full night's sleep but I was wondering if a bit of a rest helps substitute for the lost sleeping hours.. I have tried: Nothing. Just trying to catch a cat nap when I can and drinking lots of coffee to stay awake.. I think it was caused by: I drink coffee to stay awake and then it keeps me up at night and then I fall asleep late. It's a vicious cycle that requires me to have even more coffee, which of course contributes to the problem later.
Try starting with reducing the amount of consumed coffee. Drink it only in the morning or more than six hours before sleep. According to this study (click the link) on caffeine effects, "400 mg of caffeine taken 0, 3, or even 6 hours prior to bedtime significantly disrupts sleep. Even at 6 hours, caffeine reduced sleep by more than 1 hour."
Reduce the amount gradually to one level teaspoon of coffee every other day. Caffeine withdrawal syndromes include inability to do anything because of the feeling of lack of energy. The same amount of coffee is also more effective when it is consumed more rarely. This is why you may choose to keep it in your diet. Substitute coffee with green tea during the days without coffee.
Then, to stay awake, start doing physical exercise. Every other day is enough (during the days when you drink coffee, for example). Power naps (for no more than 30 minutes and at any spot, for example, on a bus) will help you regain strength before working out, swimming, or performing other physical activities. If you can keep your room colder, try to do so. However, if you feel that you have a heartache or your eyes get tired fast, then you will need both to add hours to your sleeping schedule and to visit a doctor immediately.
Does rest compensate sleep. Like just sitting idle for 15 minutes?
Does rest compensate sleep. Like just sitting idle for 15 minutes?. I have tried: Tried have coffee. I think it was caused by: Lack of proper sleep at night
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.