Clean the filter and garburator on a kenmore 66513229k601 dishwasher so it stops leaving food particles on the dishes
Edited by Yuliya, Eng
Hello VisiHow.com. Today I am going to show you how to clean out the filter in the bottom of your Kenmore dishwasher. This is model number 655.13229K601. Now, the first thing you are going to notice, if you need your filter cleaned, is that your dishes are going to come out and they seem to always have some residue or little pieces of food left on them. And you might be thinking "I need to change my dishwasher". But the reality is that they tell you, when you buy these dishwashers, that they come with a mini-garburator in them. But the reality is that they actually just come with a filter that gets clogged up and they don't tell you about that. So today, I am going to show you how to get this done.
- 6I've gone ahead and gotten myself just a dollar store screwdriver. In my case, and probably in yours too, if you look closely these are star type bits. It's not a regular star, it's more like a flat - I don't know what you'd call that, but I found one and a lot of sets have this type, so you have to get that type of screw-head. I'm going to just unscrew these screws now. Hopefully yours come up as easily as mine.The next thing you're going to have to do is undo the screws here, to get in and underneath.
- 8So I need to work getting that bone out, that's probably affecting operations. Make sure everything is clear down in here. You see down in here is where everything collects. I have some kind of gooey thing in here. I don't know what that is but there's another piece that was holding it back. And another bone... lots of bones. Somebody thought this was a bone garburator. I'm sure you'll have your own collection of goodies in here. Some more bone and some gunk. Let me look in here and see what's going on.And look what I found underneath - I've got a bone stuck in here.
- 10I need to undo this to be able to get this part off and get right in in and see what's going on in your pump area, see if there's anything else impeding it. While we're in here we might as well do a thorough job.The next part here I've changed to a smaller screw size to fit down here into this screw down on the bottom.
- 12You can take the small wheel right out. This piece is now out. You see these blades? They spin around against the screen to cut up any food or whatever. That's the version of a garburator, it's not too great, you'll need to take this and wash it out and clean it up, which I'm going to do here.Now let's get all this cleaned up.
- 16So I need to go in and clean that area. So I put my finger in here and I pulled out more stuff - this is a bone, and more garbage and I don't even know what that is. And there's little ridges, so you have to get down in each one and make sure it's clean in there. As anything in there is definitely going to block the flow. Now I think I have it clean there now.Now I was just putting that back together and I thought well I'll just check in here again, and I just realized that after taking this piece off there's more area exposed here.
- 18I don't know if you can notice it there, but right out here there's a ridge. It's basically larger all the way around on one side. The larger side fits into this groove on the other piece.Now when you're putting this back together, notice that this unit here, you notice that it's not completely round.
- 23I'll just loosely fit them and then I'll tighten them up with a screwdriver after. These four are all the same. Make sure not to cross threads, so make sure you put them in just a little until you feel a click and then you go forward so you know you're in the proper threading. If it feels too hard to turn, don't force it - back it up and try again, because that means you're cross threading it and it'll never go in properly after that. Careful not to jab through that bedding, I almost did it and cost myself more money instead of saving by doing this myself. It would cost you $75 to $150 to get this clean, most repair guys they just want to come and do anything these days.Then you can put in all the other screws.
- 24I had to do this a couple of times before, and I thought this time I'll record it for everyone out there on VisiHow. Hopefully this is a benefit. I'd love it if you dropped me a note or gave me a thumbs up or something on the site to let me know that it's helped you out.This dishwasher should start working again like it's brand new.
- 27It's kind of tricky, you don't want to break it. I had to lift up just a bit above the heating element to get enough room. There, you hear it click into position there? That's good, it's snapped in, in place here.To get that in you have to get the two parts to meet each other at just the right angle.
- 28Right now I don't have this on yet, I've got to lift this up and turn it at the same time. I'll bring this around so you can see. When you've got it, it's going to look a lot like this. See the screw threads coming up and through? That's what you need there. It's in nice and tight now, spins freely.All that's left now is to put this top part in.
- 29Now we can fire her up and we've got a new dishwasher on our hands, with no problem with water flow anymore.We're all done!
Video: Clean the filter and garburator on a kenmore 66513229k601 dishwasher so it stops leaving food particles on the dishes
Categories : Home Repair
Recent edits by: Yuliya