Choosing a Gift That Keeps on Giving
Edited by Eng, Dougie
We've all been there - facing the holidays, with that ONE person on our list we just don't know well. Gift exchanges at school or at work can leave you having to purchase something for someone that you do not know well at all. What do you buy for a person who either has it all, or just seems to be impossible to buy for? There are more options than you might think! Getting a little creative and thinking outside of a box they open might just make holiday shopping more joyous and festive than you (or your recipient) could imagine.
Holiday giving isn't about getting; this attitude is what gets us into such a jumble when it comes to gift exchanges. It is about giving. If there is someone on your list that you just can't find a gift for, then think about what you can give in honor of that person.
Giving gifts in someone's honor has long been the tradition for anniversaries,weddings, and even birthdays. Think about the donations given "in honor of" for families, charitable causes, and even personal needs. Giving a gift to someone else may be just the way to show your Christmas spirit.
Just how do you find a way to give a gift in honor of someone else?
- 1If they have a family member with an illness, then perhaps you can make a donation to the study for a cure to the disease. If they have a hobby that helps others, make a contribution to their cause. If they are an environmentalist, sponsor a tree planting for them in their name.Find out what they are passionate about.
- 3Organizations such as the Red Cross, World Vision or the Samaritan's Purse all offer a way to donate. Some of these organizations also offer the recipient the opportunity to respond with a message to the donor.If your recipient doesn't have a readily available benefit you want to donate to, find an organization that sponsors a widely accepted purpose.
- 4It might be something as simple as a meal for the hungry, or purchasing farm animals to start a new livelihood for a family abroad, or tools to start fishing for a living.Imagine giving a gift that has long term returns, not just for the recipient getting the gift, but for the donor who didn't know they were giving the gift of life.
- 5Instead of only one person getting a gift, you are gifting multiple people.Finding a gift that keeps on giving and makes a difference in the world can make a huge impact on every person involved.
- 7When your recipient opens their gift, there is no way they can be upset with an item that doesn't match their personality - it is a gift that can be given to anyone for any occasion, no matter how high they are on your list of impossible to shop for people.