Choose the Right Deodorant Based on Your Hormones and Activity Level
Edited by Diana, Eng, Alma
Hygiene is something we have been taught since we can remember, we would hear things like make sure you wash your hands before eating, shower every night, always keep your nails short and clean and so on. As we grow into adulthood our bodies start changing and our smells too. It can be a bit frustrating to choose the right deodorant for our bodies, especially when you have no idea how to choose or where to choose from, since our options are endless. As females, we have more sweat glands than men, but even though they have fewer sweat glands, they produce more sweat than us. As much as we dislike sweating, we would not be able to survive without it. Our body needs our sweat to keep it cool and prevent overheating. These sweat glands are managed by nerves. A few things that are known to activate them is the brain communicating that the body is reaching a high temperature, hormones, emotions, physical activity or exercise.
Are you Using the Correct Deodorant?
- 1Make the Right Choice. There are two options, antiperspirant, and deodorant. Do you know which one you have sitting in your bathroom? And if it is the right fit for your body? Antiperspirant can be used if you are a person that sweats a lot, this means that your eccrine gland releases watery odorless sweat. That is the job that the antiperspirant would handle, it would prevent the odorless sweat from coming out. Even though the sweat that sometimes comes out does not have an odor, it's still not pleasant to have your favorite top with sweat stains, so now you know, next time you are at the store make sure it says antiperspirant.Advertisement
- 2Bacteria. If you do not relate to the above, then you are probably in need of a deodorant. Apocrine glands are the ones that release the oily sweat. When the oil hits your skin, the bacteria immediately break down that oil and causes the body odor. It's recommended to shower at least once a day that way you can keep your skin clean and less probability of bacteria building up. Taking a shower, and washing meticulously the areas where they are prone to sweating is very important. Choosing the right soap can help kill the bacteria as well, make sure that you choose a soap that has labeled "antibacterial" if you want to feel extra clean and your purpose is to kill bacteria after a hard working day.Advertisement
- 3Shaving. It is always recommended, for the reason that hair is porous and it easily absorbs odors. Also, if there is no hair in the area there will be less space for the bacteria to grow. If you have hair and it is combined with sweat that will create a moist texture and it will be more welcoming to the bacteria to produce the nasty smells that no one appreciates.
- 4Low Body Odor. Yes, you read that correctly! There are people that have very low body odor.There are a lot of factors that may affect that, like your diet, alcohol consumption, tobacco, caffeine, kidney or liver disease. An interesting way of knowing if you are on the OK list to NOT wear deodorant is based on the color of your ear wax. If your ear wax is white it probably means you can relax a little bit about the application of deodorant, it has been stated in studies that dry ear wax (white) means that your body is missing a chemical in your armpit that produces the smell. But if your ear wax is yellow, start reading this article step by step!
- 5Shopping. Once we have that part figured out it becomes easier to know what you are shopping for, instead of spending all this money on products that are not going to target your real problem. Do not go straight for the known brands, or any brand of a matter of fact, look for the description and choose exactly what you need, a sweat blocker or a smell blocker, or both!
- 6Antiperspirant. It helps reduce the production of sweat. When you apply it, it blocks the pores so the sweat does not actually reach your skin and that way you avoid sweat stains. A product that will fall under this category would be Certain Dry, it has 12 percent of aluminum which is the active ingredient that makes this function properly. It is found in the low bracket of percentages, you should not want to purchase a product with more than 20 percent aluminum. There are researchers out there that say that Aluminum can cause breast cancer and Alzheimer's, but there is still further research needed to actually validate these points.
- 7Deodorant. The product that contains a substance that kills the bacteria that the body produces. You can get yourself some Old spice, the scent Wolfthorn is very fruity and you will not feel like you are wearing men's deodorant, it's clear so it will not leave residue. It has been known to keep body odor away for a complete day of work.
- 8Morning or Night? Once you have found the product of your choice you can start using it right away. Some recommendations specify to use your antiperspirant before going to bed instead of in the morning. In the morning you get up, shower and apply your antiperspirant and start your busy day correct? Well, our body does not work that way, the morning time is when we are the most active, meaning our sweat rate is higher. So when you apply it, and you start moving around, you don't give it time to clog your pores and prevent the sweat to be produced. If the product does not have time to act, then it will just be washed out as soon as it hits your skin. Now, while you are sleeping your sweat is a lot less, the antiperspirant has time to enter the pores and complete its job correctly. It has been known that when you apply at night it stays activated up to a few days after, you can still apply it in the morning but it won't cause any significant difference.
- 9Showers. When you take your morning shower and get ready for your day you can now confidently use your deodorant. Always remember that to have a better effect of smell blockage, your skin has to be completely dry before applying. Remember to keep the bar of the deodorant high enough in case you have bacteria on your skin it will not hit the protective plastic coverage of the deodorant.
- 10Reducing the smell. If you still have not found that right deodorant for you, you can try and reduce the smell with some natural tips. Always maintain your armpits shaved, stay away from tobacco, also after your shower you can apply white vinegar with a cotton ball. Baking soda is awesome, because it kills the bacteria and it keeps your skin dry, it acts like an antiperspirant and deodorant. You can apply it on the areas where you sweat the most and leave it on for a few minutes, then dust off the excess and you are ready to go.
- 11Removing the smell from clothes. Vinegar is great to neutralize odors. Place the pieces of clothes that have a stinky smell, and let them soak in a bucket of hot water with 1/3 of a cup of vinegar. You can let them sit there for about 30 minutes, and you can rub the affected area once or twice during that time, please be cautious with the hot water, you can wear plastic gloves to make it easier to rub. Once finished, you can throw the clothes to wash in a regular cycle, and skip the dryer on this one, and if possible hang the clothes to dry in the sun.
- 12Tough armpit stains. White is a very popular color to wear, but unfortunately, it is the easiest to ruin. Let's get your favorite white shirt out of the closet and get it ready to be worn again. You will need. Hydrogen Peroxide, baking soda, salt, and water. You should mix the same amount of the 3 ingredients. Hydrogen Peroxide is a natural whitener. The salt and the baking soda work together to unstick the stain. Before applying make sure the area is damp, then you can rub in with an old toothbrush.
Let's Prevent Future Stains
- 2Different Types. Avoid the Aerosol(spray), Use the stick or roll on, with the roll make sure your armpits are completely dry before putting on your shirt.
- 3Undershirts. You can wear a type of undergarments to prevent the sweat from hitting your actual shirt or dress. You can choose to buy the disposable ones or reusable, whatever your preference.
- 4Fabrics. Are very important to choose wisely and choose the ones that can easily breathe, for example, cotton, and linen.
Keep clean on the inside and outside
- 1A splash of apple cider vinegar mixed with a cup of water, warm water with drops of lime. You can enjoy either of these options in the morning before breakfast. Drinking the water that your body needs on a daily basis, avoiding eating too much red meat. Eat vegetables and fruit, exercise, turn to organic food when possible. Replace your morning coffee with green tea.
There is no user reviews.