Choose the Best Video Card for a Computer
Edited by Robbi, Eng, Graeme
Video cards need a couple of things to be compatible with a computer. The card has to actually fit into the video card slot on your motherboard. It also has to match the ports or connections on the monitor. It also has to be something that you can afford to pay for.
How to Find the Best Video Card
Video cards come with a lot of options. Here is a little lowdown on the things that will make the video card cost more or less.
- 1Memory-a video card can have more or less memory. That means that you'll get a better picture or one that isn't quite so great.Advertisement
- 2The memory makes the price go up a little. If you are using a Windows 7 machine you'll want one that has at least 256K. The more memory you can get the better.Advertisement
- 3Brands-Different brands are available for almost any card. It should not surprise you to see video cards that are almost alike made by many different companies.
- 4The cards that are off brand can usually save you a little money but you may get bad documentation that you can't really read well.
- 5Graphics Chip- Some new chips will have a very high price, so it may be in your best interests to select an older video card that is still on the market in order to save some money.
- 6Two Monitor Support-if you want to connect to two monitors, you'll want one that has two ports so that you can plug it in to two monitors.
- 7Direct X Support-For gaming, you'll want a card that has DirectX support, which may cost a little more.
How to Check for a Compatible Video Card Slot
It's likely that your computer comes with one of two different slots. Those will be either AGP or PCI. It's quite likely that it will come with a PCI express slot because those have been available and put onto mainboards for more than five years.
- 1Open the panel that allows you to see into your computerAdvertisement
- 2Look inside your computer.
- 3Look for slots that are long and white.Nearly every computer that has been sold in the last 8 years or so will have a PCI express slot. They come in several different sizes. The video card probably will take the largest slot.
- 4See your options for slots.
How to Check for a Compatible Port
- 1Check your monitor ports.
There is no user reviews.