Choose the Best Sunglasses for Your Face Shape
Edited by Mary Joy, Rebecca M., Robbi, Eng and 4 others
Sunglasses are a staple fashion accessory. They make you look chic and/or handsome, but they're also functional. Sunglasses that block 100% UV rays help to protect you from skin cancer, wrinkles, cataracts, sunburn, macular degeneration and more.
You might collect a lot of different styles and designs, but how do you know if your collection really flatters you? Read this post and find out how to buy the right sunnies that compliment your face shape.
Know Your Face Shape
Before you head to the shop and try on sunglasses, you should first identify the shape of your face. To do this, take a straight-on photo of your face and analyze it. See which parts are most prominent and which ones are narrow. Below are seven different face shapes. See if you can identify yours.
- 1Oval. Your face is an oval shape if you have wide cheekbones and a narrow forehead and jawline. This is a well-proportioned shape, and one of the easiest to style.Advertisement
- 2Square. Square-shaped faces have strong angular features with a wide forehead and broad jawline.Advertisement
- 3Round. A round shape face has fuller cheeks and a round jawline.
- 4Triangle. Triangular shape face has narrow forehead and wide jawline.
- 5Heart. This is the opposite of triangle face shape. It is narrow at the jawline with a broad forehead.
- 6Oblong. This is a long and straight face. You have a tall and narrow forehead and narrow jaw, too.
- 7Diamond. This is the most uncommon face shape. High cheekbones are the most prominent part, while the forehead and jawline are both narrow.
Choose the Right Sunglasses According to Your Face Shape
Now that you know the shape of your face, it's time to pick the right style that will compliment your features most. Bring the following guide when shopping for sunnies that flatter your face shape.
- 1Oval. You're lucky, because almost any style fits with this face shape. Experiment with different styles. Try square-shaped frames, rounded edges or soft angular frames. Anything goes! Just remember that whatever you choose, they should be proportionate to your face. Avoid styles with arms that are too low, because they may elongate your face.Advertisement
- 3Round. A face with round and full cheekbones will look better with over-sized rectangular frames. Styles with angular shapes will make your face longer and thinner. Your aim is to create definition so you may also opt for wayfarer, cat-eye and square shape styles, just make sure you choose the largest size. Round frames will only make you look rounder. Acetate styles will also create a more defined silhouette.
- 6Oblong. Over-sized frames are perfect for an oblong shape face. You may choose round and square sunglasses with big frames to complement your features. Smaller frames will only make your face look small too. Aviator style will also work for you but the size has to be right for your face-not too small and not too big.
- 7Diamond. Oval and soft squared frames are perfect for this shape. Choose rimless styles too to emphasize your cheekbones. Draw attention to your eye area by choosing bold colors and details. Just make sure that the style you choose is not wider than your cheekbones.
Shopping for the right sunglasses for you may be a difficult task specially when the style you want doesn't flatter you. It's important to know which frames are perfect for the shape of your face to define your personal style. Remember too that you need to invest on quality sunglasses because sunnies are not just mere accessories, they're also meant to protect your eyes from the sun and other harmful elements.
Questions and Answers
Do you have a sunglasses suggestion for the wide faces?
My face is broad and I am not sure which sunglasses style will suit me best.. I have tried: I have tried on many different styles of sunglasses.. I think it was caused by: Sunglasses don't seem to fit well because the manufacturers do not make them to suit wider faces.
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
There is no user reviews.
Categories : Accessories, Scarfs, Purses & Jewelry
Recent edits by: Donna, Shelley, Jan Margery Castillo