Choose clothing that looks best in pictures
Edited by Ryan, Lynn, Maria Quinney, Charmed and 7 others
We all love to look beautiful every now and then. Most of us choose our clothes carefully so we look presentable and neat. We may even select what colors best complement our skin tones. When we're getting a formal picture taken, it tends to up the ante. Photographs freeze a moment in time, and are around for a very long time. We want to look better than normal; we want to look our best!
So, when we're having our picture taken, what should we wear, and what should we avoid wearing? Of course, the rules for looking good in person are a bit different than when we are going to pose for a photo. Some people look thinner in a picture and some look bigger. Some people are already aware of tricks to make them look stunning in front of the camera, and these people end up having amazing photos. Learn some tricks to be one of those people.
In this generation, taking a pictures is like a habit for a lot of people. Some people record things in their life every day with pictures. We upload pictures to our Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts. We see to it that our friends are updated on what's new about us, and pictures have become a very important part of that sharing, especially when you have friends and family living far away. In this VisiHow article, you'll learn how to choose clothes that will make you look great in pictures.
Clothes That Look Good In Pictures
- 1High collars make your neck look shorter. I have seen some people look a bit like giraffes in pictures. Why? They are people who are blessed to have longer necks, and in an attempt to downplay the length of their necks, they tend to hide it with turtlenecks and scarves. Sadly, it only emphasizes their necks. To make a neck look shorter, the best thing to wear is a shirt with a high collar.Advertisement
- 2Short sleeves on a fitted top, and breast pockets minimize your figure.Advertisement
- 3Shoes that have a lot of straps make chunky legs appear chunkier. A bit of a heel, a pump, or a wedge show without straps will make your legs appear longer and more slender.
- 4If you have a problem with pictures of yourself because you have a longer torso, you can solve this by using belts, seam lines, and collars. Just be sure that your belt complements the color of your outfit. Don't use a belt that is too flashy or it will be the only thing people focus on when they look at the picture.
- 5If your legs are disproportionately long, create an illusion they are shorter by wearing tops that end at your hips, lower rise pants and avoid wearing high-waited pants and don't tuck your shirt into your skirt/pants. Crop pants make legs look shorter.
- 6If you have short legs and would like to create the illusion they're longer, wear a solid color and do the reverse of the above. Tuck your shirt into your pants or skirt, or wear tops that end at the waist. Avoid crop pants, and down roll up the hem of your jeans.
- 7Using vertical stripes in your dress will make you look longer and slimmer. On the other hand, vertical stripes are not recommended for tall, thin people, as they will look even taller and may appear underweight. For a tall person, I would suggest they choose clothing with horizontal or diagonal stripes. Horizontal lines makes you look shorter and wider.
- 8If you don't want to emphasize your face in the picture (perhaps you had a break-out on your skin), the best thing you can wear is a shirt with a larger print. This will draw the attention to your clothing, and away from your face.
- 9If you don't want to look fuller in the picture, wear a dress that has an allover print. It will create the illusion that you are slimmer. A scattered print can make you look fuller, so beware and make sure you get the right kind of print.
- 10Make sure to buy pants that will fit well on your body to avoid a bad picture.
- 11A thinner fabric can also make you look slimmer than bulkier fabrics.
- 12Wearing the same color on top and bottom can make you look slimmer as well, but you should at least find items that are different shades of the same color.
- 13When you wear clothes that are too big, it will not hide your figure, but instead will exaggerate your body and make you look larger. Likewise, clothes that fit too tightly will make you look bigger than you really are, and show every flaw...we all have them.
- 14If you don't have a slim waist, then don't wear a belt. Belts can make you look like you have a wider waist.
- 15Don't go overboard and wear too many accessories. Accessories can make you look bigger, and wearing too much jewelry or too many decorations in your hair is not classy.
- 16If you have small hips, wear clothing tighter around your hips, and looser in the top. If you have bigger hips, accent your small waist. The trick is, accent the best of you, and wear looser clothing on parts of your body you aren't as happy with.
Clothes That Help You Look Younger
I always envy the older folks who look younger than their age. I don't give all the credit to the facial cream they use, or their skill at applying makeup, or even the type of non-surgical skin care they employ. I just notice they look younger, especially in pictures, because they do the right thing with their clothing. For you to look younger in pictures, try some of the suggestions below:
- 1Pick the right bra because it molds how your body looks under your clothing. A snug-fitting band with fuller cups can definitely make you appear younger. Many lingerie shops have consultants that will fit you properly for a bra. The biggest mistake is a bra that is too small. There shouldn't be anything spilling out of the cups, or sides.Advertisement
- 2Choose clothes that will draw attention to your best assets.
- 3Make a color statement. Don't wear drab colors because it will make you look dull and older.
- 4Go for classic garments that have a youthful effect, and items with vertical, slimming stripes that create a streamline effect.
- 5Use a bag, light accessories, and fashionable jewelry. A few choice items will definitely make you look more lively and vibrant.
- 6Regarding accessories, Coco Chanel advised, "Before you leave the house, look in the mirror, and take one thing off."
What to Wear for Senior Pictures
Almost every student looks forward to their senior photos. Some are so excited, they're going a little overboard searching the internet to get information on how to look good in their senior pictures. Look no further. This VisiHow article will provide many great tips and instructions on how to look fabulous, so that when you look at your picture 20 years from now, it will be with a smile on your face. The following suggestions will make your senior portraits unforgettable and help you stand out from the crowd. This only happens once, so make it count.
- 1Be sure the clothing you choose to wear represents you, your attitude and your personality.
What To Wear For Family Portraits
Family portraits are probably the most treasured photos. Clothing is an important part of creating a wonderful family portrait. The focus should be on the faces of the people in the shot, and not on their clothes. It's very popular lately, to have the entire family wearing the same color scheme, or outfits in the photo - white t-shirts and blue jeans is an example. Here are some tips on how you can make your family portrait memorable and elegant and fun.
- 1Don't choose clothes that will stand out too much. The people are the most important thing in this portrait, not the stunning and expensive signature clothes.
- 2Choose clothes that will create an effect with the background, but will not clash with it.
- 3Wear solid-colored clothing. You don't want to look like a bunch of carnival performers in your family portrait.
- 4Choose the same colors or tones for your tops and bottoms. They should be dark with dark or light with light.
- 5Your top should have sleeves that at least reach your elbows.
- 6Both men and women should wear long pants. A skirt that is knee high is better than a shorter one for a family picture.
- 7Footwear and socks should be dark colors.
- 8Jewelry should be minimalist and simple. If you wear too much jewelry, those who look at the picture will be drawn to your jewels rather than your faces.
- 9Don't wear orange or red. They will ruin the portrait and will draw attention away from the faces of the rest of your family.
Questions and Answers
What kind of clothes should I wear to look good and presentable? What color?
I find it troublesome to wear something good, like when I am going out just for normal visit to a place or just a casual walk around my vicinity. I love red so I tend to buy red clothes mixed in black. By the way I have light brown complexion.
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
There is no user reviews.