Choose a Niche and Keywords for Your Website
Edited by Robbi, Clownz
Determining the purpose of your website, why you want to build it is the first order of business when you are seeking a new website design, niche and keywords.
What the purpose of your website will be, what you want or need the site to do will to a large extent determine how you build it. It will also determine the kind of information that you need to be on the site as well as the type of activities which must be afforded to your visitors.
For example, if your site will sell products and services then insuring that you have the wherewithal to take credit cards or to accept funding is in order. If you want to showcase craft items for multiple people then you'll want a different type of setup.
No matter what you want, you're going to need to determine the niche area in which you will operate as well as find the right keywords to begin to build in a way that will give you the traffic that you want.
Steps to Choosing the Right Niche
- 1The niche area that you use to create your site will be reliant upon several factors.Advertisement
- Available traffic
- Available products
- Available domain names
- Your knowledge
- 2Choose your marketing or website niche based on an idea or a product that you have, but also on your own knowledge or passion.The niche should be something that you know well.Advertisement
- 3Your niche should be something about which you are an authority or plan to be.You should choose your niche based on something in which you are conversant in order that you can speak effectively.
- 4Just as you would not open a garage and become a car mechanic if you had never worked on a car in your life, you should not create a site about health unless you have worked in a health field or had some knowledge about it.
- 5You don't want to begin a site on diets when there are several million out there and the competition is too fierce to allow you to gain a foothold in the search engines.Choosing your niche area should be done with a nod toward the kind of traffic that is available in the various fields.
- 6Do some marketing research, which will give you real insight into the kind of competition you can expect as well as the number of searches for products or services that are in the niche areas that you are considering.
How to Find the Best Keywords for Your Website
- 1Obtaining the best keywords for your website is one part common sense and one part good keyword tools.Advertisement
- 2That is where the common sense comes in.Choosing your keywords should start with your own consideration of what you would type in when you were seeking a site such as your own.
- 3If you were looking for how to build a quilt, common sense tells you that you'd type in that phrase "how to make a quilt." rather than "how to sew," or how to plant carrots.
- 4Using your knowledge of what you might type in to find a given item goes a long way toward finding the best keywords that are available for what you want to create.
- 5Two very good ones are Google's keyword tool as well as Keyword Discovery, both of which are free of charge and allow multiple searches.Keyword tools online are available to you free of charge.
- 6Check out not only the number of searches for the keywords in which you are interested, but also the search competition.
- 7It is in your best interests to choose some higher competition keywords, but also some which are moderate competition in order to rank more rapidly for those search terms.
- 8Bear in mind that high money keywords are often not as popular or as well received by the search engines as they used to be.Once you have chosen your keywords, use one of the keywords that you find in order to create your domain name.
Making a website should begin with a plan of attack. Stepping into it without knowing what you are going to do and why is much like building a new business or buying a business without knowing what you plan to do with it.
If you're going to be creating a new business--which is precisely how your website should be viewed, make a plan ahead of time. That will help to ensure that you get what you want out of your site.
Your website needs to serve a viable purpose. It needs to be well suited for that purpose. It needs to help you to gain the attention and visibility that you require from it. Proper planning with choosing your niche and picking your keywords will ensure that it does all of those things.
Categories : Ultimate Guide To Build & Promote A Website
Recent edits by: Robbi