Choose a Good Vacation
Edited by Debbie, Maria Quinney, Eng, Jonathan and 3 others
Well, you only have 1 more month to go until you get your week's vacation! What a relief! Work can really be stressful so we all look forward to getting away. Now, to choose where you will go. Well, first of all, wherever you decide to go, you want to make sure you have enough money to go on that particular trip. Also, if you have children, and depending on their ages, you can think of some things they would like to do, like swimming, amusement parks, or perhaps a trip to the zoo. It is good to sit down with each family member and ask each one for ideas on what they would like to do. If you have no children, you might be interested in just going to a beautiful Tropical Island to do nothing but relax and have a tropical drink!
- 1Travel sites are a good place to check for nice vacation spots all around the world.Advertisement
- 2You could also ask friends and relatives about some of the vacation areas they have visited and they may be able to recommend one of their favorites.Advertisement
- 3You can also search on the internet for some of the best vacation spots.
- 4Book stores also carry Travel and Vacation books that you can use to find some really great vacation spots.
What can you scrimp on to make the most out of your vacation money?
- 1Take advantage of cheap airline fares. Several budget airlines have flourished in the past decade up to the present because of these marketing gimmicks. They are giving the traditional airlines good competition for the travelers' money. This is because, every now and then, they offer airfares that are surprisingly cheap. But the schedule of the cheap fare trips they are offering can be up to several months in the future. But this is still a good thing for the budget traveler because at least he can schedule his travel in the near future and he and his family will still have some time to save up for it. You have to be pretty fast in buying your tickets on the internet because they are usually sold in only a couple of minutes. Budget airlines regain their profit by eliminating some of the usual on-board services like hot meals and video entertainment.
- 2Check into budget hotels or inns. A new concept these days is international chains of budget hotels that offer clean accommodations at very minimal cost. Everything is metered, including the use of the air conditioner and the cable TV. The guests are given a set of pillows, blankets and towels that come with the set price upon check-in, but if you want more, you pay per piece. The room does not include any meals. Sometimes, some budget hotels offer rooms with breakfast only. These hotels operate on the premise that travelers just need their room for their sleep and their bath. Otherwise, at other times of the day, they are out on business trips, shopping or sightseeing. So they just need a clean room for sleep and bath.
Determine what you are fond of and make this as a guide for your destination.
- 1Are you interested in festivals and cultures? If this is the case, you should consult your travel agency or the web for information about festivals anywhere in the world and their scheduled dates. An example is the annual Pamplona Bull Run in Pamplona, Spain. Scheduled every year in July, it is very much a male-dominated festival with the ladies just looking on, thrilled and terrified at the same time, as the men run with the bulls on the streets of Pamplona and sometimes get seriously injured. But if you do miss this, there are other bull runs in Spain. Just research bull runs to find them. Book your hotel and airline tickets in advance. Another is the Masskara Festival in Bacolod, Philippines. Done every year in October, it is a parade of different groups with distinct takes on the colorful maskara or mask synchronized with beautiful costumes and unique dances. Another thing going for Bacolod is its wide array of international restaurants at affordable prices. If you are a Westerner or an Asian earning top dollar, Bacolod is a gourmet paradise.Advertisement
- 2Are you a shopping maven? Thailand, the Philippines and Vietnam are paradise for bargain hunters. Looking for signature labels? Hong Kong, Singapore, Tokyo and Seoul will dazzle you with the presence of top international labels and boutiques. China is not far behind in its major cities like Shanghai and Beijing and others.
- 3Are you a beach bum or a mountain hermit? Some of the highest mountains in the world are in South Asia and some of the most spectacular white sand beaches are in Southeast Asia and the Caribbean. If you want to save, go to these places during off-peak season and you can get as much as 50 percent off living quarters, food, and airfare.
- 4Are you a holistic/alternative medicine/treatments aficionado? Vegans, meditation practitioners, spa/massage addicts, herbal medicine devotees, unite! There are places designed just for you. In the movie, Eat, Pray, Love, we saw that people from other parts of the world converge on India to practice yoga and eat vegan food for a specific period. Just research on the internet for places like this and for a certain fee, you can get the works. Plus, you will be chauffeured from the airport. There also a lot of spas in Asia that have much cheaper prices than what you pay in the USA, Australia or UK for the same service. Special mention is Thailand (well, Thai massage has been around for quite a while) and the Philippines where every major city has its own selection of affordable spas to pamper the muscles of the tired traveler.
Leave goodwill in the places that you visit.
- 1Learn some phrases of courtesy in the local language.
- Phrases Like Good morning, good afternoon, good evening.
- It is nice to get to know you. How are you.
- Goodbye. Be safe. Arrive home safely. God bless.
- The food is really delicious. I will tell the folks back home about your food.
- Please visit our place too. We will never forget your hospitality.
- How much is this? What is your lowest price?
- How do we get to this place?
- What mode of transportation do we need to use to go there?
- No, thank you, we do not need that.
Have always handy cash in the local currency
- 1You will never know when you need to buy something at unexpected times like medicine for diarrhea or stomach ache.
- 2When you are down to your last 100 or 500 (depends on the value of the currency), buy more of it from a decent currency exchange establishment or bank.
- 3Likewise, when it is your last day or 2 days in the place, estimate how much local currency you will need. You do not want to go back home with a lot of cash in the local currency that you do not need and cannot use at home.
So there you have it. We hope you find the perfect vacation spot for you and your family. Have a fun time and a safe trip!
There is no user reviews.