Check if Android Games Support a USB Controller
Edited by Batkingnz, Eng, Robbi, Lynn and 3 others
You may have come across one of our other gaming related articles Connect Xbox 360 controller to Samsung Galaxy S4 on using a USB controller with your Android phone. You might have even gone on to try your controller with your device, and you may again have ended up wondering why some games work with the controller, while others don't. Android is a touch-based operating system by design, but that doesn't mean game developers have forgotten about the handheld controller.
If you've connected your own controller but don't know which games support it, or how to check, then read on below for the How-To.
- 1If you've removed the icon from your home screen, just open your apps folder to locate and open the store.From your Android device, head to the Play Store.Advertisement
- 2This is often found in a minimized view, so press the arrows next to "Description" to view.Any time you are looking at an app to purchase or download, there will be a description section.Advertisement
- 3Besides listing USB controller support, you can also find other useful information, such as support information for your specific device.There is no standard layout for the description, so it's always best to read through the entire section.
- 5As a general rule, if your controller is USB Plug & Play compliant, you should have no problem. If you are using an unbranded device or an adapter for a non-USB device, then you'll have to rely on trial and error to check for compatibility. In any case, it's always recommended to use a Plug & Play compliant controller.Notice that the description mentions "Select USB controllers".
- 6There is no rule for developers to list compatibility or not, so you may come across games that support your controller that didn't have compatibility listed in the description. If there are contact details in the description or a link for technical support, you can use these to contact the developer directly when in doubt.You can apply the above to any game in the store.
Controller Compatibility List for Android games
- If your game does not mention compatibility in the Play Store description, or if you just want a quick reference for games that are compatible with a USB controller, simply check our list below.
- Important note: VisiHow presents this list as a quick reference for compatibility. Compatibility can be affected as developers update or amend games, or Google updates or amends the Android OS. Compatibility also depends on your specific device and controller combination.
|3D Arena||A Space Shooter||Air Attack HD|
|Alert Terrorist||Alphadia||Alphadia, Grinsia|
|Andor's Trail||Another World||Antigen|
|Avoid||Baseball Superstars 2009||Baseball Superstars 2012|
|Battle Bears [Royale]||Beach Buggy Blitz||Beans Quest|
|Bike Mania||Blazing Souls Accelerate||Boulder Cash the Collection|
|Brain Cube||Cafeteria Nipponica||Canabalt HD|
|Cordy 2||Covenant of Solitude||Crash Drive 3D|
|Critter Rollers||Crusade of Destiny||Cup! Cup! Golf 3D|
|Dark Incursion||Dark Gate||DB42|
|Diversion||Doom GLES||DotQuest En|
|Drag Racing||Dragon FLY||Dungeon Village|
|Earth and Legend||Enborn X - LANTANSIA||EnbornX|
|End of Aspiration||Epic Astro Story||Escape: The Room|
|ETERNITY WARRIORS||EVAC (HD)||Eve of the Genesis HD|
|Eve of the Genesis||Expandable Rearmed||Final Freeway 2R|
|Final Space Lite||FPse for Android||Frog Jump in Maze|
|Gachinko Football||Gachinko Tennis||Gachinko Tennis 2|
|Gachinko Wars||Gailardia||Gailardia 2|
|Gailardia 3||Game Dev Story||GameBoid|
|Generation of Chaos||Gensoid||Giana Sisters|
|GnarBike Trials||Grand Prix Story||Grand Theft Auto III|
|Grand Theft Auto Vice City||Grave Digger||GraviTire 3D|
|Gunslugs||Happy Vikings||Happy Vikings - HandyGames|
|Helium Boy||Hot Springs Story||I Must Run!|
|Icy Joe Extreme Jump||Illusia||INC: The Beginning|
|Inertia: Escape Velocity||Jumpy Keidoro Special||Killdroid|
|Knight of the Earthends||Legends of Yore||Magical Magic|
|Marv The Miner 2||Max Payne Mobile||Mega Mall Story|
|Micronytes||Mike V: Skateboard Party||Millionaire City|
|Mini Army||Mobile Android||Mobile Invaders|
|Moto X Mayhem||Mr. Karoshi||Muffin Knight|
|Overkill||Pacman Kart Rally||Pinball Crazy Castle|
|Pinball ride||Pixeline Jungle Treasure||Pix'n Love Rush|
|Pocket League Story||Radiant||Raging Thunder|
|Raging Thunder 2||Reckless Getaway||Reckless Racing|
|Reckless Racing 2||Riptide GP||Robot|
|Roll Rev 99 Tracks||R-Type Radiant||Samurai 2: Vengeance|
|Shadowgun||Shaolin Jump||Shark or Die|
|Shine Runner||Silver Nomir||Sky Force|
|Sleepy Jack||Sleepy Jack||SNesoid|
|Soccer Superstars Lite||Sonic 4 Episode 1||Sonic 4 Episode 2|
|Sonic CD||SoulCraft||Space Cat 3D|
|Space War Lite||Spectral Souls||Sprinkle|
|Stardash||Steampunk Racing 3D||SummitX|
|SupaSupaCross||Super Drill Panic||Symphony of Eternity|
|Symphony of the Origin||Tank Riders||Tap'n'Crash|
|Temple Run||The Bard's Tale||The Escape Game|
|THE KING OF FIGHTERS Android||They Need To Be Fed||They Need To Be Fed|
|Thump The Zombie||TibiaME MMO||Tikki Kart 3D|
|Top Truck||Tower Bloxx: My City||Turbo Fly 3D|
|Virtua Tennis Challenge||Waveblazer||Whale Trail|
|Wind Up Knight||World Cruise Story||Tokyo|
|Zenonia||Zenonia 2||Zenonia 3|
- The Android ecosystem is vast and fragmented. Compatibility will always depend on the specific game, controller, device and version of Android you are running.
- If you've purchased a game but still can't get your controller to work, make sure you are refunded for the game at the store within 15 minutes of purchasing it. Just open the Play Store, search for the app you've installed on the app description page and press "Refund."
Categories : Gaming
Recent edits by: Dougie, Maria, Lynn