Check Your Oil
Edited by Debbie, Zornitsa Bukovska, Lynn
Checking your oil is an easy, but very important operation. It's one of the most significant ingredients that makes your vehicle move. That's why the oil could be described as the life-giving fluid of your automobile's engine. It not only reduces the direct rubbing of the motor's parts, but at the same time it clears the superfluous heat from it. Other useful functions of the oil include neutralizing the acids, as well as absorbing undesired fragments and water in the engine. To prevent serious damages of your car or motorcycle's heart you should check the oil at least once a week. If you leave your automobile without oil you risk the damage of the entire engine as a result. In comparison, a regular oil change will only cost you about $20-30, which is definitely better than buying a new vehicle.
Things You Will Need
- 1Quart Oil (check your manual to see what type of oil your car uses)Advertisement
- 3Paper Towels
- 1Take the dipstick.Advertisement
- 2Wipe it carefully with a rag. It should be clean, and not have anything on it which could make the oil dirty.
- 3Return the dipstick in the pipe from where you took it. Be sure that the dipstick is put in correctly and fully because otherwise, it may show the wrong results.
- 4Take the dipstick out again and check the level of the oil.
- The placement of the dipstick depends on the type of your engine.
- Before starting the operation, the car must be parked on level ground.
- Before checking the oil level, ensure yourself that the engine of your vehicle is cold.
- There is no set time for changing the oil, but it's best to perform this operation after every 3,000-5,000 miles.
- To ensure the best protection for you and your automobile, it's best to keep the oil reservoir always full.
Some cars don't have a dipstick. If your vehicle is among this group, then you'll have to check the manual for a different way of checking the oil level.
There is no user reviews.
Categories : Automotive
Recent edits by: Zornitsa Bukovska, Debbie