Change the Tempo of the Game in Basketball
Edited by Michael J., Eng, karishma, zg3gray and 3 others
The game of basketball is often called a game of points. In order to increase the chance of producing a sustainable offensive points game, a team must dictate and change the tempo of the game.
The Speed of the Game
Fast basketball games are more interesting to watch, but they are never a sure win. Sometimes, a game moves very quickly, while other times, excruciatingly slow. It all depends on the situation and if the team wants to play and offensive game or a defense game. Usually, a fast defense and a faster offense win the game. You don't want to give the opposition much time to set up while at the same time, you will want to have set up yourself before the opposition begins their offense.
Sometimes, you have a slow player on your team. For instance, Shaquille 'O' Neal was the best shooter on the Laker team, but he wasn't a fast runner. Thus, one has to adjust the game according to the players on the team as well. Basketball is a team game after all!
There are numerous ways of increasing and decreasing the tempo of the game and there are countless reasons why the choice is made to increase or decrease the tempo. Sometimes it's done to slow down the opposition, while other times you have to speed up in order to match the opposition. Sometimes the tempo of the game is increased because the team is lagging behind in scores, and if the tempo isn't increased, the game will be lost, thus it becomes necessary to control the tempo of the basketball game.
Changing the Speed
- 1If you want to have a high-speed game and have a team of fast runners, including those on the bench and you'll be set. Dribble fast and run fast for both offensive and defensive plays. You will have set up a high score in absolutely no time, leaving the other team lagging behind. There is nothing better than a fast team. The Miami Heat, Chicago Bulls and The Boston Celtics can vouch for that. That being said, it is necessary to have players with strength and endurance, in order to maintain this tempo. It is also necessary to have a minimum of 2 and a maximum of 3 ball handlers in order to be able to execute this tempo successfully.Dribble and Run Faster.
- 2Ball rolling is an essential part of the game. If you have been set up against a really fast team or a team with a very good defense, you'll need to roll the ball to gain time, however, remember while rolling, that you have only 24 seconds. Rolling the ball is absolutely necessary at times in a game like basketball. In order to roll the ball, each of the players take their zone possessions and the ball handler passes the ball to one of her players. The ball is then rotated among all 5 players until someone takes a shot or cuts through the defense. This is often referred to as ball rotation. >Roll the Ball.
- 3The Slow Dribble.
- Upon reaching the basket, you can either roll the ball or ask one of your players to make a quick cut.
- The ball handler can also drive in or take a center shot while the other players keep everyone else busy.
- While doing the slow dribble, remember that you have only 24 seconds to complete your shot. Hence, take it slow but don't take it too slow.
- While the ball handler slow dribbles the ball, the rest of the team members must make sure that they get themselves in position as soon as they can.
- Since, it is easier to snatch the ball while slow dribbling, one of the players should run along side the ball handler in case of a mishap, as slow dribbling can lead to turn overs if not done carefully.
- If you are dribbling slow then pound the ball hard and have a firm grip on it so that it isn't as easy to snatch the ball away from you.
- 4Pass and Play.
- Running passes can increase the tempo of a basketball game immensely.
- 3-man passes, rotations, time-buying passes, can slow down the tempo of the game.
- 5The Ball Swing.
- 6Go Defensive.
- 7Rolling 45s.
- Look at the situation and then, decide the tempo of the game
- Sometimes, you have to give in to the opposition and adjust your tempo according to theirs. Winning is all that matters in the end!
- Take a look at the players on your team before you decide what kind of tempo you want.
- Before deciding the tempo, it is important to decide on the kind of game play you want.
- If nothing works, fall on defense.
- Maintain the tempo and don't change the tempo of the game too often. It will cause chaos and disruption and things will not work out for you.
Questions and Answers
Do you play basketball, have you played anytime in your life, are you good?
Do you know what I mean about slowing it down?
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
Categories : Sports
Recent edits by: Nuance, Calob Horton, zg3gray