Care for Toenail Fungus
Edited by Debbie, Maria Quinney, Eng, Ephraim and 1 other
Do you have problems with your toenail being discolored, thick, or chipping? This is the result of Toenail Fungus. This is caused by fungi organisms, mold and yeast. Fungi like to inhabit warm moist places. Unfortunately, that can be under our finger nails, or toe nails! If you have a mild case of toenail fungus, you would want to get to the root of the problem right away, before it gets worse. If you wait, they can get really infected, and the toenail can turn black. In order to successfully treat toe nail fungus it will require you to take action early to get a good start of getting rid of the fungus completely from your body. This fungus can prove to be uncomfortable and also painful at time in different situations. The fungus will cause your toe nail to fall off if your conditions worsens over time. This fungus can be treated without any type of issue as long as you pursue help in an earlier time. Upon receiving treatment on your toenail fungus you will need to continue to treat the fungus continually in order to be sure that the problem does not arise again in the future. This treatment will not be a fast process as it may take time in order to successfully treat your fungus completely. These steps and instructions below will help you in order to rid yourself of this fungus infection.
Consult a Doctor
Before you can begin the process of getting your toe nail healthy you will need to in fact talk to a doctor in order to get the best understanding of your infection. Even though you can find out way to fully rid yourself of the toe nail fungus without your doctor it is always a good option to ask a doctor for help so that you will not have to go through the process alone in helping get rid of this fungus.
- 1Seek treatment for you infection as soon as you find out that you are suffering from this type of infection in your toe nail. By seeking treatment early you will get information on exactly which ways you can use in order to help relieve your toe nail fungus. In order to get rid of the fungus you can approach it in many ways but understand that some of the methods are based on how far gone your infection has become. This means that some methods are designed to help you in the early processes and will not help if your infection has grown more than what can be fixed in the early stages.Advertisement
- 2Topical meds are given in forms of creams or lotions which may be prescribed more or so in the early stages of your infection meaning that your infection has not grown much in order to fully affect your toe nail.Advertisement
- 3Oral Meds are given by a doctor in order to help fight the infection, but these meds have been known to induce complications depending on the persons health condition. These meds are usually only given to people who can handle the side effects unless the doctor deems them to be OK in their current situation. In order to be sure that you are safe to use these types of medication let your doctor know exactly what kind of health problems you are struggling with for you to be safe.
- 4Antifungal Polish is basically a type of solution that can be applied to your toe nail like toe nail polish in order to help fight your fungus directly at the source. This type of polish can not be bought on your own in a drug store but you in fact must be given a prescription in order to gain access to this type of medication. This medication is the most preferred and most effective of all the other types of medication that you can use in order to battle this infection.
- 5Follow your doctors order when you are told what to do about healing yourself of the current situation for by not following their directions can harm your treatment process from this infection that you are facing.
- 6Contact you doctor if anything goes wrong during your medication process for they will not be able to help you effectively in you do not alert them of any complications that you are facing. A lot of patients like to get sick and not tell their doctors hoping to be able to sue or complain later but it is totally not worth it when it comes to your overall health so let your doctor know if anything is wrong during your recovery process.
Caring after receiving treatment
After you have received treatment it will be up to you to take care of yourself in order to ensure that your fungus is being battled the best way possible. Simple things can either help the process along or further cause issues with your fungus. Below are a list of steps that can help you to allow the process to progress effectively against your toe nail fungus.
- 1Allow your toe to breath during this process so that you can allow as much air as possible to reach your toe. If you continue to wear socks during this process then that means that you are allowing your fungus to continue to grow on your toe nail. While trying to allow your toe nail to breath simply go barefooted if possible or use sandals in order to allow your toe to breath while keeping in the standards of certain places that you are vising. If you prefer to wear sock then do so but only wear the socks once and then make sure they are washed before using the socks once again in the future.Advertisement
- 2Do not wear any types of shoes that are tight on your feet for this will not allow much air to flow to your feet. Tight shoes will produce heat which is not good in the process of trying to allow air to reach your feet to help the healing process.
- 3If you are a lady and like to wear heals then you will need to do your best to not wear them as much for wearing heels will bunch up your toes closing off air to flow to your toes. Thus making your feet sweat and build up to help the fungus take over the toe nail.
- 4Be sure that if your feet happen to get wet that you are in fact drying them off completely wiping off any sign of moisture. If you allow your feet to stay wet then the water will eventually turn into sweat from heat thus helping the fungus to multiply in the toe successfully.
- 5Trim your toe nail in order to help reduce the chances of spreading of the fungus on your toe nail. This has been proven to help at battling against the spread of the fungus by trimming the toe nails thus exposing it to getting more air.
- 6Use Vicks Vaporub in order to help you to gain a air flow to your toe nails. You can use this rub before you put your socks on and shoes in order to give your toes a better chance at catching air. This product will not work in an instant just like other methods but can prove to be of great help in the end after using this product faithfully.
- 7Combine water and vinegar together in order to create a solution that you can use to place on your toe nail. Vinegar has a high pH level of acid that can help you to clean your toe nail and disinfect appropriately causing the fungus to no longer be able to grow and live under your toenail. By continuing to perform this process for a total of 7 months it can in fact help the fungus under your toes.
- 8Using alcohol to help to aid your fungus can also help to relieve your toe nail fungus. You will need to get the alcohol underneath your toe nail whichever way that you prefer for this to be effective in many ways.
- 9Soaking your feet in a combination of vinegar and water can also help to get helpful chemicals underneath your toe nail.. Another combination that you can use to help the process will be water and alcohol or water and bleach. While soaking ensure that you are allowing your feet to soak for a good amount of time mainly 30 to 50 minutes.
There are home remedies you can do for mild cases. Here are a few:
- 1VINEGAR. (doesn't smell too good, but it works!) Get a dish pan, and fill it with enough water to soak your foot in. Add a quart and 1/2 of apple cider vinegar. Swish around, and soak foot for 25 minutes. Do this once daily.