Bypass the Start Screen in Windows 8
Edited by Clifford, Charmed, Eng
One of the biggest changes to Windows 8 from the other previous versions of Windows is that upon starting the operating system, you are taken straight new Start screen. From the new Start screen you can get access to your favorite Windows 8 apps, through the attractive and informative live tiles that keep you posted about new events in your apps. However others want to go straight to the desktop, where you can run more Windows programs. Here is a solution is just as easy to remove as it is to install. This makes easier in shifting to Windows 8 from former Windows release as it is more familiar when you first start using it, if later on you want to use the start screen you can still do so easily.
- 1Create a text file - Load up Windows 8 and go to the desktop. Now open up the Documents library, then right-click and select New > Text Document in your Document folder. Later on this text document will be turn into a small program.Advertisement
- 3Save the file - Go to File> Save to save the file and close the text document. Then take your cursor to the top right of the screen to show the search charm and type the word Folder in the search box and below the box select Settings. Now you have to click the folder option on the right side of the screen.
- 4Change folder option - on folder option you have to click the view tab and then scroll down until you see the option to hide extension of known file types. Be sure that there is no tick mark on the small box before that option.
- 5Change the file type of the document- Open again the documents folder and select the new text document that we have created before and right click on the file and select rename. Highlight the whole file name including the extension and press Del.
- 6Name the file and open up task Scheduler- Name the file bootdesktop.scf then press enter. You will then be asked to confirm the changes, just click Yes and the icon for the file changes. Now to you have to take your cursor to the top right of the screen and select the search charm. Then type in the search box the word Task, then select Settings Then select Scheduled task on the left side; of the screen.
- 7Create the task - In the Task Scheduler window, select Create Basic Task. Give the task a name such as Desktop boot then select next, in the next screen, select When I log on then click Next again. Select start a program then click next. Then click browse and select bootdesktop.scf . Click next again and then Finish.
- 8Go straight to the Desktop - You can now restart Windows 8 and after you logged in you will be taken away straight to the desktop without showing the Start screen. If you want to enable going to the start screen first, then you have to open up the Task Scheduler as in Step 6 and select Task Scheduler Library. Find the task you named desktopboot and right click to select to disable and you're all done.
There is no user reviews.
Categories : Windows
Recent edits by: Charmed, Clifford