Bypass SMS Limit in Samsung Galaxy S2 (Korean Version)
Edited by Leomar Umpad, Charmed, Lynn, Eng and 10 others
If you got yourself a Korean version of the Samsung Galaxy S2, you may have noticed that the SMS you send and receive are trimmed down and are incomplete. This is due to the SMS limit set by Korean Telecommunications Company. A Korean character can refer to a whole word or a group of words. SMS limit for Korean phone versions range from 80-140 bytes. This is about 30-60 characters - somewhat short for a normal SMS. We have listed some steps below demonstrating how to bypass this limitation and send/receive SMS normally. Simply follow the steps below.
- 1 SMS Character Limit is 160 for the Samsung Galaxy S2
- 2 Samsung Galaxy S2 SMS has an 80 Byte Limit
- 3 Tips Tricks & Warnings
- 4 Questions and Answers
- 4.1 Why can my Samsung Galaxy S2 only send 80 characters in a message?
- 4.2 When the message exceeds 160 chars, after clicking send button, my entire network signal goes down for few seconds and it returns in a while.
- 4.3 Galaxy S2 SMS - after 80 words converts to MMS. Please help?
- 4.4 How can I remove the 80-byte limits in Samsung S2?
- 4.5 When I send SMS through Handsent, it takes a lot of time, and doesn't deliver the message in the end. Can you help?
- 4.6 I have no caller ID and my texts are limited to 80 characters.
- 4.7 Does the Hangouts app bypass this 80 character limit?
- 4.8 Bypass Note1 Korean 80 char SMS limitation?
- 4.9 I have PanTech Vega A800S, but it is restarting again and again.
- 5 Comments
SMS Character Limit is 160 for the Samsung Galaxy S2
This is the character limit set to by the committee within the Global System for Mobile Communications (GSM). Somehow, they have come up with the assumption that the longest average number of characters in a normal short message is 160 characters. This is still in effect today, so when you enter an SMS over 160 characters, some phones will show an indication that the message is now on the second SMS count, and there will be an SMS charge per every 160 characters (unless you are on an unlimited plan). This VisiHow will not bypass charges but will help Android users with phones incapable of viewing messages over 160 characters, to view the entire message, even if it is longer.
Samsung Galaxy S2 SMS has an 80 Byte Limit
This SMS limitation is common with Korean phones, as a single character to them can become a group of words when translated to English. The following procedures will help you bypass this limitation on your phone.
- 1On your Home Menu, tap on the Application Drawer.
- 2On the Application Drawer, look for the Play store App.
- 3On the Play store app, search for the keywords "Handcent SMS".
- 4On the Results Screen, tap on the First one.
- 5On the Application Page, tap on Install.
- 6Wait for the application to completely download, to ensure it's installed.
- 7Use Handcent as your default SMS application and you should be able to send and receive normal SMS.
Turn OFF SMS Notification on Android
After installing Handcent, you may notice that you have duplicate notifications for every message you receive. This is because the native SMS app and Handcent are both notifying you of the received messages. To turn off SMS notification of the native SMS app:
- 1Open the Native Message app.
- 2Tap on Menu button to show the SMS Settings.
- 3Uncheck notification to disable SMS notification on your Android phone.
Tips Tricks & Warnings
- Handcent can also be downloaded at
Questions and Answers
Why can my Samsung Galaxy S2 only send 80 characters in a message?
How can I send longer SMS from my phone thanks?
To send an SMS message with more than 80 characters on your Samsung Galaxy S2, you need to download a third party SMS messaging app such as Go SMS Pro, Handcent, etc. To get one of these apps, please do the following:
- Make sure your phone is connected to the internet.
- Open your Apps list.
- Locate and open Play Store
- Search for either handcent or Go SMS Pro, whichever you prefer. Select it from the search result.
- Tap on Install.
- Wait until the app is installed.
- That's it. You can now set your new SMS application as your default SMS application and should be able to send an SMS message with more than 80 characters.
See more questions like this: My phone has 80 characters limitation
When a message exceeds 160 characters, after clicking send button, my entire network signal goes down for a few seconds and it returns in a while. Can you help me sort out this issue?
This happens because your network is now sending an MMS message, rather than a standard message, which will use more data.
Galaxy S2 SMS - after 80 words converts to MMS. Please help?
SMS after 80 word converts to MMS. Please help.
This is the limitation set by the phone manufacturer or your cell carrier. Anything past the 80-character count, and the message gets converted to MMS. To get around this, just install the Handcent SMS app from the Google play store here:
How can I remove the 80-byte limits in Samsung S2?
Whenever I text a message, I only get to use 80 bytes. Once it exceeds 80, it converts to MMS?
The 80-character limit is set by the phone's messaging app and carrier. You can easily bypass this by using a third party SMS app from the Play Store. Check out Handcent SMS here:
The app allows up to 140 characters before being converted to MMS.
You can also try Go SMS Pro here:
When I send SMS through Handsent, it takes a lot of time, and doesn't deliver the message in the end. Can you help?
When I send SMS through Handsent, it takes a lot of time, and doesn't deliver the message in the end.
Be sure you have a good signal in order for the message to be sent. Handcent is no different regarding sending out messages; you need a good signal.
I have no caller ID and my texts are limited to 80 characters.
I do not know who sent me a text because my Galaxy 2 HD lite from Korea, does not recognize who sent the text and I am limited to 80 characters whenever I send a text please help
In terms of your Samsung Galaxy S2 device, you are going to need to download a third party application in order for you to send messages longer than 80 characters. Also, if you do not have a sufficient amount of data on your phone, your SMS will not convert into a MMS.
Download a third party application such as GoSMS or Handcent in order to bypass the low character limit on your device.
Does the Hangouts app bypass this 80 character limit?
I am familiar with the app - Hangouts. Does it bypass this limit?
Yes, Hangouts can also bypass this 80-character limit on your SMS messages. Actually, any third party SMS messaging app can bypass the 80 character limit of Samsung Galaxy S2 Korean version.
Bypass Note1 Korean 80 char SMS limitation?
Having problem sending long SMS on Note1 Korean version
The 80-character limit is set as a default and you can easily bypass this by using a third party SMS app from the Play Store.
Check out Handcent SMS from the Play Store:
The default character limit is set to 160 for this app, and you can now text without the previous restriction.
I have PanTech Vega A800S, but it is restarting again and again.
I have a restarting problem with my cell phone.
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
Categories : Samsung Galaxy
Recent edits by: DeleteQnA, Nuance, Visihow Admin