Beat the Wrath of Heaven in Dragon Age: Inquisition
Edited by Kathy McGraw, Eng, vcdanht, EngStand
You rise from the ground, the world a smoky miasma around you. Green light and sparks come out of your left hand as you lift it to shade your eyes. Somewhere in the distance, you see a bright figure of a glowing woman before your awareness fades to black.
When next you awake, you're in a dungeon cell with your hands are cuffed together, and you are surrounded by soldiers with swords pointing at you. A stern woman with short black hair enters your dungeon cell, and she is angry, demanding what you know, and why she should let you live. Another woman enters, her red hair covered by a scarf. She admonishes the black-haired woman whom she calls Cassandra to let up on you because they need you. The red-haired woman's name is Leliana.
You learn about the Conclave, a meeting organized by the late Divine Justinia to negotiate for peace between the warring Templars and Rebel Mages. There was an explosion at The Temple of Sacred Ashes, the site of the Conclave, which left a giant tear in the sky, now known as The Breach at its center. You fell out of this Breach with a mark on your hand spewing green fire, which is eerily similar to the hole in the sky.
- 2Move toward the gate. Cassandra orders the soldiers to open the gate, which opens onto an icy dirt road that leads off to the left.Advertisement
- 1Follow the road.Advertisement
- 2Take care of the two Lesser Shades. At this point, your character will spy a class-specific weapon on the ground and pick it up. Follow the on-screen instructions to defeat the two enemies here.
- 3Speak to Cassandra.
- Choose the first dialog option if you want to get her approval
- Choose the fourth dialog option if you want to be snarky and get her disapproval.
- No matter which dialog option you choose, Cassandra will realize that you need a weapon and let you keep it. She also gives you some healing potions, which you can use by pressing the 9 key on your keyboard.
- 4Explore the area.
The Mysterious Elf and the Witty Dwarf
You come across a green rift spewing out demons and some people fighting them, including a certain bald elf mage and a beardless dwarf with a crossbow.
- 1Help defeat the Lesser Shades. Use your powers using the number keys on your keyboard and your mouse button, like you did earlier to defeat the enemies. Once the Lesser Shades have been vanquished, the elf grabs your left hand and raises it toward the rift. A green light connects your hand with the rift, and the rift shatters.
Because the AI in Inquisition is pretty good, you don't need to worry too much about commanding your party: they do well enough on their own. I pretty much never use the tactical camera, but it's there if you need to control every aspect of the battle.
The Forward Camp
When you arrive at the Forward Camp, you come upon Leliana, the redhead from earlier, arguing with Chancellor Roderick, a Chantry cleric. Roderick views the situation as hopeless and wants to retreat, while Leliana does not. When they notice you, Roderick immediately demands that you be put in chains and carted off to Val Royeaux for trial and execution. Leliana and Cassandra stand up for you, and their united front causes the older cleric to back down. You have some dialog choices here, where you can be snarky, scared, or resigned to your fate. Regardless, Cassandra will ask you to choose from between two options for going forward.
Charge with the Soldiers
This option gives you less experience and loot, but is easier because you have fewer enemies to defeat; however, you get to meet Commander Cullen earlier than you would otherwise, and Cassandra likes this choice. He is the tall blond man dressed in a weird suit of armor helping his soldiers battle the Wraiths and Shades coming out of the rift outside of the Temple of Sacred Ashes. I usually go this route because I like encountering Cullen earlier, but if you want more loot, or if you want a chance to save some soldiers, the mountain path is the way you want to go.
- 1Defeat the Lesser Terrors. Use your abilities to help your party defeat the demons. Like all the other fights thus far, this one isn't too hard.
- 2Close the rift. When the demons have been vanquished, use the F key on the rift to close it. This will trigger a cutscene with Commander Cullen, who seems abrupt and suspicious of you.
The Mountain Path
The mountain path is the stealthy approach, which Leliana and Varric appreciate. There are lots of ladders and stairs here with enemies to defeat and loot to take along the way.
- 4Seal the rift. Up another set of stairs, you'll find a rift surrounded by Wraiths and Shades. Dispatch them all, and then seal the rift.
The Temple of Sacred Ashes
Upon entering the Temple, Leliana appears and has a conversation with Cassandra about what's happening. Cassandra asks you if you're ready: you have to try and close it like you did with the smaller rifts you encountered earlier.
- 1Wind your way down to the rift. As you and your party advance, you hear a deep, gravelly male voice talking about a sacrifice and the voice of the Divine crying out for help. You hear your voice, too, and the male voice ordering you to be killed. What in Thedas is going on?
- 2Jump down once you reach the bottom. There are more soldiers here. Listen to Solas explaining that the rift is sealed, but it was not done properly. In order to properly close it, you will have to use your mark on it to reopen it, then try to close it again. Of course, it means that you and your party will have to deal with the demons that come out.
- 4Press and hold the F key to disrupt the rift.
- 5Kill the smaller demons that emerge from the rift. When you have successfully disrupted the rift, it will explode in a shower of green sparks and smaller demons will appear. Fight them off and let your party and the soldiers concentrate on the Pride demon.
- The Pride demon will fall after a couple of assaults on the rift
- A cutscene triggers as you attempt to seal the Breach and the screen fades to black as the quest completes.
Congratulations! You've finished the first quest in the game. You should have reached your second level and be well on your way to your third level by the end.