Add French Accents in Word 2010
Edited by Thor, Zack, Dougie, Eng and 5 others
Hello and welcome to VisiHow. In this video, I'm going to show you how to add French accents to letters in Microsoft Word 2010, when using an English keyboard. Often, people need to add accents to words because on an English keyboard it does not have the French accents. Using hotkey commands, we can add the accents and continue to write in an acceptable French style.
- 1To do that, we're going to use 'Ctrl', with the 'Accent grave' button here. The accents are always on the vowels: A, E, I, O, and You. So if we press the 'Ctrl' button and the acute-accent button, with 'A', you can see the accent on top of the "A". And we can do the same with the "E", by pressing 'Ctrl', the acute accent, and 'E'. There we go. We can also do it with I, O, and You.The first accent we're going to add is the acute accent.Advertisement
- 3It's the small arrow pointed upwards. So we're going to press 'Ctrl', 'Shift', the 'Caret' together all at the same time, and then click the vowel. That will allow you to make that adjustment. Now you can see I have all the vowels with the circonflexe on top.Then to make the 'circonflexe', which is like a small arrow on top of the vowel pointing upwards, we're going to use 'Ctrl', 'Shift' and the 'Caret' which is here above the 6.
- 4To do that, we're going to use 'Ctrl', 'Shift', and the 'Colon'. The colon is here, the two dots with one above the other. So let me use 'Ctrl', 'Shift', 'Colon', 'A'. As you can see here, that has added the two dots above the "A". And we can do the same with E, I, O, and You. There you can see all the vowels have their accents on top.Next, we're going to try and add the two dots over the top.
- 5To do that, we're going to press 'Ctrl', 'Shift' and the 'And' hieroglyphic which is above the 7. So we press 'Ctrl', 'Shift', 'And', and 'A'. And as you see, we have the combined vowels. We can also do the same with 'Ctrl','Shift' 'And', 'O'.So next, we're going to create the 'aesc', which is the A and the E combined.
Video: Add French Accents in Word 2010
Questions and Answers
How do you do an acute accent?
The video shows an acute accent, but says it is a grave accent.. I have tried: I watched the video!. I think it was caused by: I have no idea. the video is just wrong
We apologize for that mistake. Step 1, indeed, has an acute accent.
- 2The grave accent key (`) is located right above the "Tab" key on your keyboard. Then, type the letter which should have the grave accent. For example, à or è".To insert a letter with a grave accent, please open a Word document and press Ctrl and `.
How do I easily recognize and add the correct French accents etc. into my writing?
I am writing a novel and struggle with adding accents and other 'things' into french language words written in English. I am no English scholar, let alone a French one and simply do not know what / how to write these words. For example en - suite or Bon appetit.. . 1 How do I know there is something to add? And what is 'it'?. 2 How do I physically add 'it'?
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
Categories : Microsoft Suites
Recent edits by: Tamara22, Inukshuk, VisiHow