Write an Apology Letter to Your Girlfriend
Edited by Train Wreck, VisiHow, Eng
There are many reasons why it may be important for you to write an apology letter to your girlfriend. If you have hurt her feelings, if you were mean, or even if she thinks you hurt her feelings or were mean, then you might need to write an apology letter. The purpose if this article is to help if you want to apologize but are unsure of how to write your own apology letter. Keep in mind that while many people say that talking is a good way to express yourself, the benefits of a letter is that it allows you to express your sorrow while giving her the space to absorb your words and intent.
Benefits of Writing a Letter
- 2In our modern world of instant notes and thoughts, it's often easy to say or do the wrong thing. Because it takes some time to both write and send a letter, you can avoid saying or doing the wrong thing again. Just keep in mind that you should not delay too long. In most cases a few days is enough time to let high emotions settle. You can use this time think over the situation and write a good apology.A letter also benefits from being a slightly delayed form of communication.Advertisement
- 3That increases the chance you could say something wrong. A thoughtfully written letter can help you avoid causing a whole new argument that you never intended to have. Plus, you can later follow it up with a spoken apology, letting you truly express your regret.While some of the best apologies may be delivered in a face-to-face meeting, emotions may still be a bit high.
Disadvantages of Writing a Letter
In spite of the benefits of writing an apology letter to your girlfriend, there are some disadvantages you should take note of when deciding on whether or not to use this method.
- 2Depending on how bad your offense was, your relationship with your girlfriend, and her personality, you may or may not receive a response. If you decide to send a letter, but you've really done something bad, prepare yourself for the reality that it might not be answered.Sometimes, writing a letter can be seen as the wrong response unless it's quickly followed with at least a verbal apology and maybe even flowers.
Write an Apology Letter to Your Girlfriend
Before you begin writing, remember that while in some cases it is better late than never, other times an apology that is delivered after a long delay looks careless and dishonest. Therefore, if it's difficult for you to write a formal letter, don't worry. You're not writing an apology letter to your boss or your wife. Just make sure your letter is honest and direct. Consult the steps below for inspiration on how you can write the perfect apology letter to your girlfriend.
- 2Now that you have explained the situation to your girlfriend, you need to apologize for your mistake. It's important to be accountable for your behavior. Avoid using phrases such as "I am sorry that you feel that way", as these place blame on her instead of on you and your behavior. Using these phrases is also likely to make things worse. Additionally, remember that this letter is not the place to make excuses. You're making apologies, not excuses.Own your mistake and apologize sincerely without making excuses.
- 3Let your girlfriend know that you regret your actions, that you still care for her, and ask her to forgive you. You can even offer to do something to make it up to her. If you aren't sure what you can do, but want to do something, you can simply ask "what can I do to make it up to you?" Chances are, though, that you have a good idea of something that would make her happy.Tell her that you regret your actions and ask for her forgiveness.Advertisement
If She Answers You
After you've signed and sent your letter, prepare yourself. She may not answer, but she might respond -- and what if she does? A good part of an effective apology is following up by listening. If she wants to talk, you need to make sure she knows you're listening to what she has to say, and understanding her point of view. Exercising patience and truly hearing what she has to say will let her know that you respect and value her.
- Remember that it can be difficult and humbling to apologize to someone so close to you, but sometimes it must be done.
- In order to deliver an effective apology, you need to speak with sincerity.
See more articles for men on relationships: Signs That Your Marriage Is Over, Sending Morning SMS Messages, Telling If Your Wife Hates You, Telling If Your Wife Loves You, Getting Over a Divorce, First Date Tips, Getting Relationship Advice, Getting Over a Broken Heart, Know if Your Wife Likes Another Man, Write an Apology Letter to Your Wife, and Survive an Internet Affair and Repair Your Relationship.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Write an Apology Letter to Your Girlfriend. (2016). In VisiHow. Retrieved Mar 27, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Write_an_Apology_Letter_to_Your_Girlfriend
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Write an Apology Letter to Your Girlfriend." VisiHow, visihow.com/Write_an_Apology_Letter_to_Your_Girlfriend Accessed 27 Mar 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Write an Apology Letter to Your Girlfriend." Accessed Mar 27, 2017. http://visihow.com/Write_an_Apology_Letter_to_Your_Girlfriend.