Write a Top Quality Article for VisiHow.com
Edited by Robbi, Eng, Lynn, Maria and 1 other
As a new writer, or even a seasoned writer, you have questions when you start out on a new job. Every kind of writing is different. It requires a different style and a different Outlook.
A "How To" article is an article that explains how to do something or tries to teach you a new skill.
VisiHow goal is to be more in depth than any other site. We want to offer not only more information, but offer it in a way that adds to the information you could find on any other site.
If we do that and our articles show the knowledge and the skill and the talents of the writers, you can create the kind of community that helps thousands and of people to learn new things and accomplish more in their lives.
Here is how to write a top quality wiki article for VisiHow:
Steps to Write a High Quality Article
- 1Don't choose something you don't care for strictly for the fee. Your passion for your topic is the single most important thing that will set your article above the rest.Try to chose a topic about which you know something.Advertisement
- 2Our goal is to be more in-depth than any other site. That means our articles should be well researched, and include points from a number of sources (which should be listed in the resources section at the bottom of the article). Our function on the internet is to "Add Value" by being the most complete and accurate HowTo website.Do your research.Advertisement
- 3Don't just give information that is already existing on the internet. Try to add value if possible by adding in your own ideas and and suggestions to each step. Imagine you are doing each step and think of the pitfalls or extra information you might need to execute the step well.Add your own points.
- 4This will hurt our website. We view this as a serious issue. Do NOT rewrite another person's article and claim it as your own. Instead read a few articles on the subject and then write an original article on the subject based on your own thoughts. It is important to realize rewording someone else's points is not writing your own ideas. Just think a little bit and write your own ideas after researching.Do not just find an article and rewrite it.
- 5Very long sentences take away from your article and rambling sentences that don't offer a lot to the topic may actually take away from what you have to say.Keep your sentences short and punchy.
- 6Try to create a logical flow. Stick to the topic at hand and don't use a lot of extra words. Try to keep it to the point and easy to understand, but do support your points.Don't ramble on your topic.
- 7If your picture does not have a CC Attribution license or another license, it will not be acceptable for a quality item.Find a picture that does not have a watermark or a copyright attached to it UNLESS you have permission by means of buying it or asking the owner to use the picture.
- 8If your article has facts that are wrong, or makes claims that are not true, it is not acceptable and it will create a site that is also unacceptable. People can find false information anywhere. We want our site to be the place where they go to find the good information that people can depend on.Check your facts.
- 9If you take the article, please verify your facts.Please abide by all of the rules of the site when you create an item.
- 10Try to link to the original sources of information, not an article someone else wrote which lists it's sources. Be sure to only use credible sources.List your resources in a section at the bottom of the wiki called "Resources".
- 11Maintain consistency throughout your whole article, i.e.
- Brand names, Countries, Public figures names,... etc. should be with first letter capitalized, So, for example, "Samsung" should be as "Samsung" and not few with small and some with Capital.
- Maintain the end of line period. Do not miss it in some lines and put it in others.
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please post in the comments section below.
Categories : Author Help
Recent edits by: Maria, Lynn, Eng