Write a Sports Article
Edited by Emmanuel M. Lardizabal, Anonymous, estrella sacragon, Lynn and 3 others
Are you good at writing relevant and useful sports articles? Can your writing style capture the attention of your readers?
Sports writing can be done by anyone with a passion for sports. Writers can be new or
experienced, young or old, or anywhere in between. Sports readers frequently find blogs or articles written by industry professionals, journalists, fans, bloggers and anyone who may have an interest in any type of sports topic. If you are an aspiring sports writer and you wish to succeed and be a credible one, it is important that you develop certain basic skills.
Tips on How to Write Sports Articles[Edit]
- 1Extensive understanding of the sports business.Just like any other field of business, there are different leagues and entities in sports. Accordingly, a sports writer should have a general understanding on how sports functions as a business. This is a must for the writer to complete a given writing task. In sports, there are finance, marketing, communications, public relations, legal, sales, sponsorships, as well as several other different departments. In addition to this, any given story may cover any given discipline. For example, if you are trying to cover a story regarding the implication of league lockouts, then you'll have to know more about how these lockouts can legally affect both sides. Another thing that you have to consider is how the lockout can affect public relations, sales and other areas of the league's business.Advertisement
- 2Actual knowledge regarding the industry.Prior to writing about a particular sport or topic involving sports, a writer needs to have an in-depth industry technical know-how about a certain topic or sport. Simply put, if the writer is somewhat confused or uncertain about a specified topic, the readers will likely feel the same. Aside from knowing the background information, a writer should also learn the sports terminology and lingo. An aspiring sports writer should continuously strive to know more about the industry trends.Advertisement
- 3Skills in handling various studies and research.Although some people may live for the gossip and sensationalism that is perpetrated in sports media, good writers have to find out the actual facts which would make up an effective sports story. It's not good to be developing or speculating on different theories. A writer has to complete the necessary research on a particular topic prior to going to the press. Now, if the sports story has something to do with a court case, the best thing to do is to find court documents that will support the content of the article. On the other hand, if the story has something to do with business projections, try looking for market data. You have to use due diligence to make certain that everything you write is true and can be corroborated.
- 4Connect with sports fans.Sports writers actually write for a specific audience. So, whether your audience is sports enthusiasts or sports professionals, you have to connect with them. Bear this in mind: A blog, column or article should read in a manner which will not only keep the reader interested in the story, but it should also be engaging enough to make the reader want to read more of this particular story. Many sports fans have their own favorite columnist, blogger and sports broadcaster. They follow these writers or journalists daily in order to get the latest sports updates. A sports writer has to strive hard to develop that certain level of loyal following.
- 5Be creative.When the reader finds something interesting, he or she may peruse different columns and articles regarding the same topic. Your audience wants to read more that purely opinion. People want to view the same topic from different angles and this is regardless of the stand that they may have on the story. Some readers enjoy the debate and competition that the sports has sparked and this is the main reason why they love reading sports articles. When you're writing about a specific topic, you have to hold true to your viewpoint and, at the same time, present the information in a creative way. You should likewise avoid following the suggestions or opinions of your fellow sports writers. Always feel free to cling to originality.
- 6Good grammar.Regardless if you are writing for a top class newspaper or for your personal blog, good grammar is a must. With sports news and other types of news breaking so quickly, there are some sports writers who tend to put out stories full of typographical errors and poor grammar. You have to take your time and get back to the basic English language or grammar 101. Make certain that your article has the right grammar, word usage and punctuation.
- 7A writer has to be familiar with the present Associated Press Stylebook.Whenever publishing sports articles, a writer should take heed to proper writing and formatting guidelines that are used across the industry.Advertisement
Questions and Answers[Edit]
Steps of how to write of sports journalism?[Edit]
I need the explanation of how to write sports journal because I don't have an idea to wrote that so please help me. I have tried: None. I think it was caused by: None
You can follow the tutorial in this VisiHow article. Choose a sport that you are familiar with or athlete that you can find information on like Babe Ruth or the New York Yankees.
I want a writer for sports website?[Edit]
I have my website that covers news events, live about football and cricket. I want an author for this site.
You can find Freelance Journalists on sites like [Upwork.com] and hire a professional.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Communications & Education
Recent edits by: nar4321, Eng, Lynn