Write a Letter of Recommendation
Edited by Timbuktu, Charmed, Graeme, Christine dela Cruz and 1 other
In a letter, when you are recommending someone you need to mention person's strength it is best to mention 2 or more strengths of the person you are recommending. The person you are recommending should have more than one good quality but do not mention too many qualities even if they are all good as it is also important to keep some for this person to express during the interview.
When you recommend someone you need to be specific. Do not speak in general but always be specific on what this person is good at.
Do not forget to mention the full name of the person you are recommending, your relationship with the person like for example manager, supervisor, teacher etc.
Also make your concluding letter an affirmation that the person you are recommending can fulfill the needs of the company or wherever you are recommending the person.
Sample Recommendation Sentences
- I recommend him highly as a stock controller.
- He will rise to the top, whatever he does.
- Charlotte was always a great help to me.
- She is the one I can recommend with complete confidence.
- I know she will meet up to your expectations.
How to Write
- 1State the complete name of the person you are recommending and the person's favorable trait.Advertisement
- 2Always remember to mention your association with the person and make sure to use specifics instead of generalizations.Advertisement
- 3Make sure to conclude your letter by reaffirming your recommendation.
Dear Mr. Palmer:
Ms. Marianne James is highly recommended as a Human Resource Assistant. She worked for me for 3 years as a Human Resource Assistant. Not many will accomplish what she was able to in taking charge of confidential files and her payroll work is accurate. Her attendance is extraordinary, she is always on time, and she is always willing to take overtimes when asked. Her handling of applicants and new employees are very efficient and pleasant.
She is the one I can recommend with complete confidence.
Do's and Don'ts When Writing a Recommendation Letter
- 1Remember that recommendation letters are required by future employers not only as a part of a hiring procedure, but also to really get a better idea about the candidate. Therefore, it is indeed crucial that you state accurate information as they are and avoid making them nicer or exaggerating certain details.Do be honest in your recommendation.
- 2This is one of the purpose of recommendation letters. Employers would like to have a better idea on the strong points of a candidate. Therefore, it would help a lot if you concisely state the areas of strength of the candidate and some proof why you think so.Do highlight the areas that the candidate is strongly recommended for.
- 3For example, if a candidate is not very good at time management, you can say this in a way that you are making recommendations to the next employer to guide him to be able to manage his schedule effectively.Do mention areas of weaknesses, but phrase it as a recommendation or suggestion to the next employer, instead of a criticism.
- 4If the person you are recommending is a very close friend, avoid using terminologies that are too personal or are not related to work. Always take into consideration who will be reading your recommendation and the kind of impression that you make out of writing it.Do maintain professionalism when writing your recommendation letter.
- 5It will totally diminish the purpose of the entire practice. If you agree to make a recommendation, only do so if you strongly believe that there are good points to recommend.Don't ask the person you are recommending to write the recommendation for you and you will just sign it off.
- 6Again, recommendation letters are done for a very important purpose. If it is done carelessly and not taken seriously, it can easily lead to bad hiring decisions.Don't ask the person you are recommending to edit your recommendation based on his liking.Advertisement
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Write a Letter of Recommendation. (2015). In VisiHow. Retrieved May 23, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Write_a_Letter_of_Recommendation
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Write a Letter of Recommendation." VisiHow, visihow.com/Write_a_Letter_of_Recommendation Accessed 23 May 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Write a Letter of Recommendation." Accessed May 23, 2017. http://visihow.com/Write_a_Letter_of_Recommendation.
Categories : Writing
Recent edits by: Christine dela Cruz, Graeme, Charmed