Write a Letter of Apology
Edited by Timbuktu, Charmed, Jonathan, Lynn and 14 others
Writing a letter of apology is not always an easy task. Most of us are not comfortable admitting when we make a mistake. We feel insecure and embarrassed when others are aware of our failures, and admitting to these failures only serves to draw more attention to them. Apologizing for something we have done wrong can make us feel vulnerable and emotionally exposed. But it can also bring a sense of relief, a feeling of "righting a wrong" and bring healing to a relationship. Sometimes a letter of apology is needed to restore good faith between you and the individual you have wronged.
There may be times while you are working for a business or company that you may be required to apologize on the company's behalf.
To be effective, you need to make sure your apology comes across as genuine. The best way to do this is to be truthful, humble and sincere.
- 1 How to Write an Apology
- 2 Examples For Your Letter of Apology
- 3 Sample Letter
4 Questions and Answers
- 4.1 I was just looking for a simple apologetic closing to my co-worker via email.
- 4.2 I submitted the wrong statement to our clients and the figures were different.
- 4.3 Can you help me, please? I need to apologize for my error in the contract that I sent to my boss. Thanks.
- 4.4 "I would like to apologize for my fault and the inconvenience that I have caused you "_the end of an apology letter?
- 4.5 Is it imperative for me to be in the office today?
- 4.6 Hi, I'm looking for effective closing remarks for my answer letter to the memo issued by my employer to me - due to my habitual tardiness.
- 4.7 How to write a letter apologizing for sending the wrong proposal quotation?
- 4.8 How to apologize for providing the wrong vehicle to a customer?
- 4.9 An apology letter to my boss stating I'm deeply sorry for doing something without communicating with her?
- 5 Comments
How to Write an Apology
- 1Apologize at the beginning of the letter.Advertisement
- 2State what it is that you or your company has done. Say it humbly and honestly.Be specific.Advertisement
- 3Explain the problem or the issue and the action have taken, or will take to make amends and to prevent further issues.
- 4Provide a forward-looking, positive note in your closing remarks.
Examples For Your Letter of Apology
There are many ways to say sorry. Here are just a few ideas, but please, find your own words and write with your own style.
Samples Of An Apology At The Beginning Of The Letter
- 1We are sorry for any inconveniences this has caused.Advertisement
- 2We will try even harder to prevent mistakes in the future.We try our best, but occasionally we make a mistake.
- 3We are sorry that this is one of the few instances in which we cannot give a refund.
- 4We've realized we've made a mistake, and we will don whatever we can to make it right.
Sample Reasons Or Explanations For An Apology
- 1Unexpected events prevented me from being there.
- 2We regret the delay in getting your copies to you, our copy machine is out of order making it necessary to print orders at a different branch.
- 3We will deliver your order, at no charge, by overnight express.There was an internal error here, and we accept full responsibility.
Samples Of Closing Remarks For Apology Letter
- 1We would like to convey our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience we've caused you.
- 2We realize this does not completely make up for the damage that we might have caused you, but we hope by acting quickly to try and correct the situation, you will not lose trust in our services.
- 3Rest assured, this mistake will not be repeated in the future.Once again, I take this opportunity to apologize for our shortcomings.
- 4We express our deepest regret that our company cannot proceed with the project as planned, but we do hope you will give us a chance to make amends with a future project.
- 5We will review our company policies and amend them in order to serve you with the excellence you deserve. I think you will find us changed the next time we work together.You deserve better than the treatment you received.
- 6We had no intention of disregarding your business call, but we do hope that you will feel free to contact us again when you need to.We are very sorry.
Dear Mr. Bingley:
I don't have any excuse for the delay, and I am truly sorry.
The clothes you ordered are being delivered today, and I am sure you will find them worth waiting for.
I enjoyed designing them for you, but they did take a little more time that I had anticipated.
I would appreciate hearing how well they are received by your clients.
Sincerely, (your name)
Whether you are writing a letter of apology for personal reasons or for a business, it is important to be thoughtful, specific and sincere. Hopefully, the result will be a restored relationship with a friend or renewed trust with a client or business contact.
Questions and Answers
I was just looking for a simple apologetic closing to my co-worker via email.
There's no problem, I already wrote my apology note. I just need a sincere apologetic closing.
- I thank you for your consideration of forgiveness.
- I appreciate you taking the time to hear me out.
- Appreciation is given for your understanding of my mistake.
- In the future mistakes like the wrong I have caused you will be avoided.
- Again, my apologies. I sincerely hope this won't harm our good working relationship.
A final statement of " I am sorry" will end the letter with sincerity.
I submitted the wrong statement to our clients and the figures were different.
Now after sitting down with them I discovered I was the one who was wrong. Now I need to write an apology.
Dear Mr. Groot,
Upon reviewing the proposal that was submitted to you, I have noticed a mistake in the figures. A correction has been made and the correct figures will be provided to you.
If this has caused any issues on your end, please accept my apology and let me know if I can give you any assistance to rectify those problems.
Can you help me, please? I need to apologize for my error in the contract that I sent to my boss. Thanks.
How can I express my apology in an email? Thank you so much!
Dear Mr. House,
I have spotted an error in the Housing Contract that I sent you last week. Please disregard that contract and use the corrected contract that I have attached to this email. In future endeavors, I will proofread and fact check more effectively to avoid mistakes such as this.
Your Faithful Employee, Sarah Cross
"I would like to apologize for my fault and the inconvenience that I have caused you "_the end of an apology letter?
"I would like to apologize for my fault and the inconvenience that I have caused you " Is it a proper English as far as grammar is concerned?
Your sentence is grammatically correct. It means that you both know that there has been a certain uncomfortable situation caused by the blunder for which you apologize. You may also choose to write: "Please accept my sincere apologies for the mistake and any inconvenience caused".
Actually, not quite proper. How about: I would like to apologize for my mistake and the inconvenience I have caused you.
Is it imperative for me to be in the office today?
I'm so unbelievably sorry to be sending this email, but is it absolutely imperative that I am in the office this morning for our meeting? I have been very sick for the past 2 days and am feeling even worse this morning. I am certain that I have an ear infection and possibly strep, however, the amount of pain that I am having in my ear this morning is now unbearable and I need to see my doctor as soon as I can. I do not like taking sick days and very rarely do. I don't think I have taken one in at last 6 months. I know that this could not come at a worse time. Currently, with my job on the line, I wouldn't be missing this meeting unless I absolutely had to.
If your job is on the line, then you should attempt to call your boss before sending the email. You will also want to backup your claim of illness with a doctor's note. Your email is sufficient but it would be best to speak directly with someone in the office regarding your absence. Another suggestion is to offer the option that you attend the meeting either over the phone or via Skype so that you can be virtually there without spreading your illness.
Hi, I'm looking for effective closing remarks for my answer letter to the memo issued by my employer to me - due to my habitual tardiness.
I have tried: Not yet. I think it was caused by: My habitual tardiness.
Again, I apologize for my past behavior. Please be assured, I will refrain from arriving late for work in the future.
How to write a letter apologizing for sending the wrong proposal quotation?
My problem is, when I sent the email to our client, I also attached the proposal (quotation) that is not included. Now they think that our company playing with them because I sent the client two different quotations with two different amounts. Now I need your sample letter so I can apologize to them as soon as possible. Thank you. Now it's hard for my situation, because I don't know how to explain this error to them. I have tried: I rectified and checked the exact amount with my supervisor. I think it was caused by: It caused a big problem for my company, my boss, and the client.
You should speak with your boss about offering this client the lower proposal amount. This will satisfy some of the confusion that the client has.
How to apologize for providing the wrong vehicle to a customer?
We were supposed to send a 2011 model vehicle, and instead, we sent them a 2010 model. Now the company is asking for an immediate exchange of the vehicle. Unfortunately, before 12th Jan 2017, I cannot provide them with that required vehicle, so how can I write an apology letter for this. They are our monthly basis client - that is why they are very important to us. I have tried: We explained to them over the phone but they need an email. I think it was caused by: We didn't cross-check before sending the quotation.
Since the customer is a regular client, you should be upfront and tell them the truth. Your inventory fell short and you will not be able to correct it until later. Because the vehicle is older, you should offer something like a 10 or 15% reduction in their lease fee while they are operating the older vehicle.
An apology letter to my boss stating I'm deeply sorry for doing something without communicating with her?
Details on how to compose this letter an my deepest apology. I do apologise for taking product without letting you know, and someone else had to mention that to you
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
Categories : Writing
Recent edits by: Nuance, Mizan Chowdhury, elle