Write a Letter of Accepting Invitation
Edited by Timbuktu, Charmed, Eng, Ephraim and 19 others
Good etiquette dictates that when accepting an invitation, a note announcing your acceptance should be written, especially if the event is formal. This note should be handwritten, formal and gracious in tone, and must be sent within a few days of receiving the invitation. If a RSVP card is provided, a few succinct lines can be written on the other side of the card, otherwise, you can use your own stationary, or purchase a set from local office supply store. Do not use printer paper!
As with all social writings, the acceptance letter must have correct grammar and spelling, and be punctuated correctly. It is essential to keep the content short and sweet. Here's a quick guide to help you write a great note to accept an invitation.
- 1 How to Write a Formal Acceptance for an Invitation
- 2 Sample Letters
- 3 Tips, Tricks, and Warnings
- 4 Questions and Answers
- 4.1 Etiquette for Accepting an Invitation?
- 4.2 I want to send an email of accepting an invitation as the chief guest?
- 4.3 How to write an express thanks letter for invitation by campus recruitment?
- 4.4 How to write a letter to accept an invitation?
- 4.5 How can I apologize for being unable to attend a wedding?
- 4.6 Do you think that can help me now?
- 4.7 There is an invite to our general secretary, I need to accept the letter and accept our participation in the event?
- 4.8 Well I'm looking for more examples from native speakers -- not only invitations but also postcards, short notes, messages?
- 4.9 Lunch Invitation Email Response?
- 4.10 Good Morning I just want to reply to a message from my friend inviting me for her daughter's birthday 3 years old. A simple way to confirm our attendance?
- 4.11 Simple Text Message informing guests of their seat/table number?
- 4.12 How do you write a letter given this scenario: You work for the Dean of the School of Business at UVU. You received the following letter from a local high school teacher, Karen Swenson. Send her a "yes" reply?
- 4.13 Hi, I got an SMS from another organization for induction program at their organization?
- 4.14 Acknowledgement of one day trip?
- 4.15 How to postpone the proposed time of the appointment?
- 4.16 Hello, sure I need wording for an invitation my boss received saying thank you for the invite, and that my staff will check my availability?
- 4.17 Need help on how to write effective emails on any topic?
- 5 Comments
How to Write a Formal Acceptance for an Invitation
- 1"Dear" is not the appropriate word to use in addressing someone with whom you are not quite friendly, so reserve it for relatives and close friends. For others, simply address the sender by their surname. Ex: If replying to a John Smith, simply address him by writing "Mr. Smith," followed by your note. It is also appropriate to include any titles when addressing the host. If the host's name is Doctor John Doe, for example, start the letter by writing "Dr. Doe." You may, however, omit the title and only use the first name if the host is closely acquainted with you.Start the letter appropriately.Advertisement
- 2Express gratitude for receiving the invitation to the event. Mention the occasion, date, and venue where and when the event is going to be held. Here are samples of acknowledgment.Acknowledge the invitation.Advertisement
- My wife joins me in thanking you for inviting us to your dinner party on...
- Our family is thrilled to receive your invitation to your daughter Margaret's 18th birthday party.
- I was delighted to receive the invitation to your son's wedding in the mail today.
- 3Write a brief note to express your happiness to join the host on the special occasion. A few examples of what you could write to various events:Express your acceptance to the invitation.
- It will be my pleasure to come to your dinner party.
- I am honored to be part of your daughter's wedding.
- My wife is already planning a perfect gift for the occasion.
- 4The host will likewise be pleased to celebrate the upcoming occasion, if you include an uplifting phrase, such as:Note that you look forward to attending the event.
- I am sure we'll have a grand time catching up.
- I am excited to see you.
- I look forward to the wedding day with much happiness.
- 5Short but meaningful words, such as "Sincerely," "Always," or "Very truly yours," can express the extent of your feelings. Note that, as with the beginning of your letter, the tone of the closing should reflect the relationship you have with the host.End the letter with a closing address.
- 6Write your name as written on the letter of invitation. If you feel more comfortable writing it in a less formal way then you may do so, just as long as the host can recognize it as belonging to you.Sign the letter.Advertisement
A: Acceptance Letter to a Lunch Meeting Invitation
Dear Ms. Prince,
In reply to your lunch meeting invitation received May 29, 2013, I would be delighted to meet with you on Friday, May 31st. I will be ready at 10:00 A.M to be picked up in front of my house.
I look forward to joining you and your group for what promises to be a productive and enjoyable lunch.
Professor Ian Blight
B. Acceptance Letter to a Wedding Invitation
Dear Mr. and Mrs. Smith,
It is with great pleasure that I received your invitation to the wedding of your son, Roger to Catherine Myers, on January 30, 2014, at the Saint Alphonsus Church.
We are looking forward to being a part of this beautiful celebration of the happy couple.
Please advise if a wedding gift registry is available.
David and Elizabeth Fulton
Example Letter to Accept a Birthday Party Invitation
Here is a sample letter for accepting a birthday party invitation. You can also write about a fun memory you both share to make the letter more personal.
Thank you so much for inviting me to your birthday party. I'd like to take this opportunity to accept the invitation. I look forward to catching up, and celebrating your birthday with you!
Example Letter to Accept and RSVP an Invitation to a Business Meeting
Here is one example. Note that your response should sound professional.
Thank you for the invitation to meet with you in your office on _____ (date) at _____ (time). I am writing you to accept your invitation and look forward to hearing your thoughts on _____ (subject of meeting).
Tips, Tricks, and Warnings
- If the invitation is sent through email, it is acceptable to reply by email.
- Confirming your attendance to the event by phone is also acceptable if a phone number is indicated in the invitation. It means the host or organizer is ready to accept calls from invited guests.
- It is not proper to ask the host if you can bring a guest. A host will typically indicate on the invitation if a +1 will be accommodated. In the absence of such, respect the host's decision to omit the privilege.
Questions and Answers
Etiquette for Accepting an Invitation?
- Make sure that you include your contact information. If something changes, the host will want to let you know.
- Likewise, make sure you know their contact information so you can call them if you have to cancel.
- Do your best to get your response out as quickly as possible to give your host an easy time planning their event.
- Follow up with your host the next day to thank them for the event, and send a thank-you note, as well.
See more questions like this: What points must be considered while writing a formal invitation letter for asking
I want to send an email of accepting an invitation as the chief guest?
How to accept an invitation as the chief guest?
In your letter, you first have to express your appreciation for the invitation. Then, accept the invitation. You can also reiterate some of the information that was included in the original invitation to show the host that you understand the event. It's also important to ask if there's anything you need to prepare before you show up to the event.
Letters like this do not have to be lengthy; you just want to make sure that you understand what is required of you for the event and what you can expect when you arrive.
See more questions like this: I get invitation by continuous email from one European company to visit his business industry
How to write an express thanks letter for invitation by campus recruitment?
Acceptance email of invitation sample required.
Dear School Recruitment,
I received your letter of invitation today and am writing back to say that I gladly accept the invitation. Thank you very much for inviting me. I look forward to working with you all!
Sincerely, Jennifer (Your name) 555-555-8032 (Your contact number) firstname.lastname@example.org (Your active email)
How to write a letter to accept an invitation?
In writing a letter to accept an invitation, you must make it sound and look professional. Read the above guide and suggestions that the author and other contributors made for writing different letters for accepting invitations.
See more questions like this: How to write a letter of acceptance to a job offer?
How can I apologize for being unable to attend a wedding?
Write that you are grateful for the invitation and that you are sorry you won't be there to celebrate the wedding. Tell the soon-to-be-wed couple that you want to see them after the honeymoon, so you can celebrate the occasion together.
See more questions like this: How to thank a friend who just invited me to his wedding
Do you think that can help me now?
You have received an invitation to a birthday party. Write a letter (120-180 words) accepting the invitation and suggesting that you organize the music"
I was thrilled to get your birthday party invitation. I would love to attend the event. I would also like to offer my services as a music organizer since I have some experience in that area (and know all your favorite music!). Please get in touch if you would be interested in my help organizing the music.
Sammie (555) 555-5555 email@example.com
There is an invite to our general secretary, I need to accept the letter and accept our participation in the event?
Acceptance letter for an invitation.
To write a proper acceptance letter, make sure you cover the following points:
- Your appreciation of the invitation.
- Your understanding of the event.
- Your acceptance and confirmation of attendance to the event.
- Ask if anything needs to be prepared prior to the event.
The letter does not have to be long. As long as you confirm that you are indeed attending, your letter is good enough to send.
Well I'm looking for more examples from native speakers -- not only invitations but also postcards, short notes, messages?
Hope you can help me, please? Thank you. More samples of different types of letters.
Keep in mind that letters, especially those for invitations, should never be too long. All you need to do is state the purpose of the letter and include the corresponding details. You also have to indicate what type of response you are expecting from the person you are writing to. Most letters are expected to be that way unless it's a very personal letter.
See more questions like this: Three paragraphed acceptance/refusal of attendance for a birthday party letter sample
Lunch Invitation Email Response?
Hello! So my question is that my adviser at the university has invited me for a lunch to appreciate my work during the last year and I was wondering how to accept her invitation in a formal way? Thanks for your help.
Formal letters always have to be professional and to the point. Here is one way of doing it:
Dear [ADVISER'S NAME],
Thank you for the invitation for lunch. I gladly accept and will see you on [DATE] at [PLACE] for lunch.
Thank you again!
See more questions like this: I want to respond to an invitation
Good Morning I just want to reply to a message from my friend inviting me for her daughter's birthday 3 years old. A simple way to confirm our attendance?
I just want to reply to a message from my friend inviting me for her daughter's birthday 3 years old. A simple way to confirm our attendance.
Hi (Friend's name),
I got your invitation for (daughter's name)'s birthday party, and I would be glad to attend. I can't believe she's 3 already! Seems like just yesterday you were bringing her home. I will definitely be at (location) on (date).
See you then!
Simple Text Message informing guests of their seat/table number?
I wish to write a text message to the guest accepting the invitation to our company's anniversary dinner and inform them their seat/table no.
Text messages have a 160 character limit, so your response should be particularly short and to the point. Here is one possibility:
Thanks for your confirmation for the anniversary dinner on (date). You will be seated at table #, seat #. See you there!
How do you write a letter given this scenario: You work for the Dean of the School of Business at UVU. You received the following letter from a local high school teacher, Karen Swenson. Send her a "yes" reply?
Do you offer tours of the business school on the UVU campus? If so, may I arrange a tour for 45 members of the Future Business Leaders of America at our high school for some afternoon the first week in December? This tour will be one of several the chapter is making to compare colleges in the area.
So that I can better prepare our FBLA members, please explain in your reply the advantages of attending UVU.
We will appreciate hearing from you in the next week so that we can complete our schedule.
Yes, you would send her a "yes" reply with details of what a campus visit to your institution would entail. You can leave the date and time open so that she may choose what works best for her, or try to give her at least three dates and times that you have open in the schedule.
See more questions like this: I have to reply to confirmation letter from the university?
Hi, I got an SMS from another organization for induction program at their organization?
I just want to reply to the SMS professionally
Many company SMS programs do not receive responses back via SMS. You should reply with a formal letter using the format above for accepting an invitation.
Acknowledgement of one day trip?
I have an invitation of one day trip arranged by office HR. How can I acknowledge my confirmation for the trip?
If there are R.S.V.P. details, you should use those details to thank them for the invite and make them aware you will be attending. You also could send an email to the H.R. department as well, using the format above in the body of your email.
How to postpone the proposed time of the appointment?
I received the invitation for a job interview in the morning, but I am only available in the afternoon.
Dear (Their Name),
Can we possibly delay the interview to later in the afternoon? I have a previous engagement at the time that you have suggested, and unavailable. I am free after 1 p.m. so please let me know if you can also reschedule during that time.
Although you are requesting that the time is changed because of a previous engagement, this reschedule may take you out of the running for the position. No employer wants to be told they are not a priority, including future employers. It would be best for you to reschedule your morning appointment if you really want this job opportunity.
Hello, sure I need wording for an invitation my boss received saying thank you for the invite, and that my staff will check my availability?
We receive lots of invites for events and want to send our thank you letters for inviting, and that my staff will check my availability
Thank them for considering to invite and then give a date such as we will check our availability and let you know by (Date). Just be sure to not put a date that is past the response date of an invitation.
Need help on how to write effective emails on any topic?
I am facing problems writing emails to my manager with regard to any issues or process.They say grammatically incorrect and wrong punctuation.
Use a program like Grammarly which you can add as an extension to your browser. It will help with punctuation and grammar errors that you make. It even gives options of the correct phrasing or punctuation.
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please post in the comments section below.
Categories : Writing
Recent edits by: Bobby-Jo Keats, Yuliya, hateletters