Write a Letter of Accepting Invitation
Edited by Timbuktu, Charmed, Eng, Ephraim and 20 others
Good etiquette dictates that when accepting an invitation, a note announcing your acceptance should be written, especially if the event is formal. This note should be hand-written, formal and gracious in tone, and must be sent within a few days of receiving the invitation. If an RSVP card is provided, a few succinct lines can be written on the other side of the card, otherwise, you can use your own stationary, or purchase a set from local office supply store. Do not use printer paper!
As with all social writings, the acceptance letter must have correct grammar and spelling, and be punctuated correctly. It is essential to keep the content short and sweet. Here's a quick guide to help you write a great note to accept an invitation.
- 1 How to Write a Formal Acceptance for an Invitation
- 2 Sample Letters
- 3 Tips, Tricks and Warnings
- 4 Questions and Answers
- 4.1 Example note to accept wedding invitation?
- 4.2 Etiquette for Accepting an Invitation?
- 4.3 Examples of Letter of Acceptance to an Invitation Birthday Card (short letter)?
- 4.4 I want to send an-email to accepting an invitation as the chief guest?
- 4.5 How to write to express thanks for invitation by campus recruitment?
- 4.6 How to write a letter to accept an invitation?
- 4.7 Minister from one country invited the other for an official visit?
- 4.8 A reply to an invitation to play football?
- 4.9 How can I apologize for being unable to attend a wedding?
- 4.10 Do you think that can help me now?
- 4.11 There is an invite to our general secretary, I need to accept the letter and accept our participation in the event?
- 4.12 How we can write a letter telling a friend our news?
- 4.13 Well I'm looking for more examples from native speakers -- not only invitations but also postcards, short notes, messages?
- 4.14 Lunch Invitation Email Response?
- 4.15 Good Morning I just want to reply for a message from my friend inviting me for her daughter's birthday 3 years old. simple word that we confirm our attendance?
- 4.16 Simple Text Message informing guests of their seat/table no?
- 4.17 How do you write a letter given this scenario: You work for the Dean of the School of Business at UVU. You received the following letter from a local high school teacher, Karen Swenson. Send her a "yes" reply?
- 4.18 Hi, I got an SMS from another organization for induction program at their organization?
- 4.19 Acknowledgement of one day trip?
- 4.20 How to postpone the proposed time of the appointment?
- 5 Comments
How to Write a Formal Acceptance for an Invitation
- 1Start the letter appropriately."Dear" is not the appropriate word to use in addressing someone with whom you are not quite friendly, so reserve it for relatives and close friends. For others, simply address the sender by their surname. Ex: If replying to a John Smith, simply address him by writing "Mr. Smith," followed by your note. It is also appropriate to include any titles when addressing the host. If the host's name is Doctor John Doe, for example, start the letter by writing "Dr. Doe." You may, however, omit the title and only use the first name if the host is closely acquainted with you.Advertisement
- 2Acknowledge the invitation.Express gratitude for receiving the invitation to the event. Mention the occasion, date and venue where and when the event is going to be held. Here are samples of acknowledgment.Advertisement
- My wife joins me in thanking you for inviting us to your dinner party on…
- Our family is thrilled to receive your invitation to your daughter Margaret's 18th birthday party.
- I was delighted to receive the invitation to your son's wedding in the mail today.
- 3Express your acceptance to the invitation.Write a brief note to express your happiness to join the host on the special occasion. A few examples of what you could write to various events:
- It will be my pleasure to come to your dinner party.
- I am honored to be part of your daughter's wedding.
- My wife is already planning a perfect gift for the occasion.
- 4Note that you look forward to attending the event.The host will likewise be pleased to celebrate the upcoming occasion, if you include an uplifting phrase, such as:
- I am sure we'll have a grand time catching up.
- I am excited to see you.
- I look forward to the wedding day with much happiness.
- 5End the letter with a closing address.Short but meaningful words, such as "Sincerely," "Always," or "Very truly yours," can express the extent of your feelings. Note that, as with the beginning of your letter, the tone of the closing should reflect the relationship you have with the host.
- 6Sign the letter.Write your name as written on the letter of invitation. If you feel more comfortable writing it in a less formal way then you may do so, just as long as the host can recognize it as belonging to you.Advertisement
A: Acceptance Letter to a Lunch Meeting Invitation
Dear Ms. Prince,
In reply to your lunch meeting invitation received May 29, 2013, I would be delighted to meet with you on Friday, May 31st. I will be ready at 10:00 A.M to be picked up in front of my house.
I look forward to joining you and your group for what promises to be a productive and enjoyable lunch.
Professor Ian Blight
B. Acceptance Letter to a Wedding Invitation
Dear Mr. and Mrs. Smith,
It is with great pleasure that I received your invitation to the wedding of your son, Roger to Catherine Myers, on January 30, 2014, at the Saint Alphonsus Church.
We are looking forward to being a part of this beautiful celebration of the happy couple.
Please advise if a wedding gift registry is available.
David and Elizabeth Fulton
Example Letter to Accept a Birthday Party Invitation
Here is a sample letter for accepting a birthday party invitation. You can also write about a fun memory you both share to make the letter more personal.
Thank you so much for inviting me to your birthday party. I'd like to take this opportunity to accept the invitation. I look forward to catching up, and celebrating your birthday with you!
Example Letter to Accept and RSVP an Invitation to a Business Meeting
Here is one example. Note that your response should sound professional.
Thank you for the invitation to meet with you in your office on _____ (date) at _____ (time). I am writing you to accept your invitation and look forward to hearing your thoughts on _____ (subject of meeting).
Tips, Tricks and Warnings
- If the invitation is sent through email, it is acceptable to reply by email.
- Confirming your attendance to the event by phone is also acceptable if a phone number is indicated in the invitation. It means the host or organizer is ready to accept calls from invited guests.
- It is not proper to ask the host if you can bring a guest. A host will typically indicate on the invitation if a +1 will be accommodated. In the absence of such, respect the host's decision to omit the privilege.
Questions and Answers
Example note to accept wedding invitation?
You can use this format for your note:
Dear Will and Lilly,
I am so happy for the two of you. Thank you so much for the invitation. I can't wait to watch as you tie the knot! I'll be there on December 13, 2014 -- I wouldn't miss this for the world.
See more questions like this: Letter about accepting the wedding invitation
Etiquette for Accepting an Invitation?
- Make sure that you include your contact information. If something changes, the host will want to let you know.
- Likewise, make sure you know their contact information so you can call them if you have to cancel.
- Do your best to get your response out as quickly as possible to give your host an easy time planning their event.
- Follow up with your host the next day to thank them for the event, and send a thank-you note, as well.
See more questions like this: Format for accepting an invitation from a business partner
Examples of Letter of Acceptance to an Invitation Birthday Card (short letter)?
Thank you for the invitation -- I'll definitely be in attendance.
If you want something a little longer than that -- but still short -- try this.
I just received your invitation. Thank you so much for inviting me. I am writing back to accept your invitation. I can't wait to see you again!
See more questions like this: Formal acceptance of the conference letter
I want to send an-email to accepting an invitation as the chief guest?
How to accept an invitation as chief guest?
In your letter, you first have to express your appreciation for the invitation. Then, accept the invitation. You can also reiterate some of the information that was included in the original invitation to show the host that you understand the event. It's also important to ask if there's anything you need to prepare before you show up to the event.
Letters like this do not have to be lengthy; you just want to make sure that you understand what is required of you for the event and what you can expect when you arrive.
See more questions like this: How to write an acceptance letter to be a guest on Dias
How to write to express thanks for invitation by campus recruitment?
Acceptance mail of invitation sample required.
Dear School Recruitment,
I received your letter of invitation today and am writing back to say that I gladly accept the invitation. Thank you very much for inviting me. I look forward to working with you all!
Sincerely, Jennifer (Your name) 555-555-8032 (Your contact number) firstname.lastname@example.org (Your active email)
See more questions like this: How to write an effective email
How to write a letter to accept an invitation?
In writing a letter to accept an invitation, you must make it sound and look professional. Read the above guide and suggestions that the author and other contributors made for writing different letters for accepting invitations.
See more questions like this: How to write a letter of acceptance to a job offer?
Minister from one country invited the other for an official visit?
I need to write a letter of accepting and thanks.
You can use this simple format for accepting the invitation:
Dear Mr. Miyagi,
I would like to thank you for sending me an invitation to your ______. I am delighted to say that I will be attending the event. You can contact me, or my secretary at ________ for more details. I am looking forward to the event and meeting with you. Again, thank you very much for inviting me.
Ms. Lee Yakimoto
A reply to an invitation to play football?
How should I reply?
You can be a little more playful with less formal events. For example:
I got so pumped when I received your football game invitation this week. I will definitely show up. Dibs on being the quarterback.
See you on Saturday!
See more questions like this: Mail reply for an Invitation, which to be attend
How can I apologize for being unable to attend a wedding?
Write that you are grateful for the invitation and that you are sorry you won't be there to celebrate the wedding. Tell the soon-to-be-wed couple that you want to see them after the honeymoon, so you can celebrate the occasion together.
See more questions like this: How to thank a friend who just invited me to his wedding
Do you think that can help me now?
You have received an invitation to a birthday party. Write a letter (120-180 words) accepting the invitation and suggesting that you organize the music"
I was thrilled to get your birthday party invitation. I would love to attend the event. I would also like to offer my services as a music organizer, since I have some experience in that area (and know all your favorite music!). Please get in touch if you would be interested in my help organizing the music.
Sammie (555) 555-5555 email@example.com
There is an invite to our general secretary, I need to accept the letter and accept our participation in the event?
Acceptance letter for invitation.
To write a proper acceptance letter, make sure you cover the following points:
- Your appreciation of the invitation.
- Your understanding of the event.
- Your acceptance and confirmation of attendance to the event.
- Ask if anything needs to be prepared prior to the event.
The letter does not have to be long. As long as you confirm that you are indeed attending, your letter is good enough to send.
How we can write a letter telling a friend our news?
How we can write a letter telling a friend our news? You would write an announcement letter and start the letter with " We are pleased to announce..." and add details of your announcement.
Well I'm looking for more examples from native speakers -- not only invitations but also postcards, short notes, messages?
Hope you can help me please? Thank you. More samples of different types of letters.
Keep in mind that letters, especially those for invitations, should never be too long. All you need to do is state the purpose of the letter and include the corresponding details. You also have to indicate what type of response you are expecting from the person you are writing to. Most letters are expected to be that way, unless it's a very personal letter.
See more questions like this: How to answer an invitation message?
Lunch Invitation Email Response?
Hello! So my question is that my adviser at university has invited me for a lunch to appreciate my work during the last year and I was wondering how to accept her invitation in a formal way? Thanks for your help.
Formal letters always have to be professional and to the point. Here is one way of doing it:
Dear [ADVISER'S NAME],
Thank you for the invitation for lunch. I gladly accept and will see you on [DATE] at [PLACE] for lunch.
Thank you again!
See more questions like this: I want to respond to an invitation
Good Morning I just want to reply for a message from my friend inviting me for her daughter's birthday 3 years old. simple word that we confirm our attendance?
I just want to reply for a message from my friend inviting me for her daughter's birthday 3 years old. simple word that we confirm our attendance.
Hi (Friend's name),
I got your invitation for (daughter's name)'s birthday party, and I would be glad to attend. I can't believe she's 3 already! Seems like just yesterday you were bringing her home. I will definitely be at (location) on (date).
See you then!
Simple Text Message informing guests of their seat/table no?
I wish to write a text message to the guest accepting invitation to our company's anniversary dinner and inform them their seat/table no.
Text messages have a 160 character limit, so your response should be particularly short and to the point. Here is one possibility:
Thanks for your confirmation for the anniversary dinner on (date). You will be seated at table #, seat #. See you there!
How do you write a letter given this scenario: You work for the Dean of the School of Business at UVU. You received the following letter from a local high school teacher, Karen Swenson. Send her a "yes" reply?
Do you offer tours of the business school on the UVU campus? If so, may I arrange a tour for 45 members of the Future Business Leaders of America at our high school for some afternoon the first week in December. This tour will be one of several the chapter is making to compare colleges in the area.
So that I can better prepare our FBLA members, please explain in your reply the advantages of attending UVU.
We will appreciate hearing from you in the next week so that we can complete our schedule.
Yes, you would send her a "yes" reply with details of what a campus visit to your institution would entail. You can leave the date and time open so that she may choose what works best for her, or try to give her at least three dates and times that you have open in the schedule.
See more questions like this: I NEED TO REPLY TO A CLIENT WHO HAPPENS TO HAVE ANOTHER CLIENT WHO WANTS TO VISIT AND DO BUSINESS WITH OUR COMPANY
Hi, I got an SMS from another organization for induction program at their organization?
I just want to reply to the SMS professionally
Many company SMS programs do not receive responses back via SMS. You should reply with a formal letter using the format above for accepting an invitation.
Acknowledgement of one day trip?
I have an invitation of one day trip arranged by office HR. How can I acknowledge my confirmation for the trip?
If there are R.S.V.P. details, you should use those details to thank them for the invite and make them aware you will be attending. You also could send an email to the H.R. department as well, using the format above in the body of your email.
How to postpone the proposed time of the appointment?
I received the invitation for a job interview in the morning, but I am only available in the afternoon.
Dear (Their Name),
Can we possibly delay the interview to later in the afternoon? I have a previous engagement at the time that you have suggested, and unavailable. I am free after 1 p.m. so please let me know if you can also reschedule during that time.
Although you are requesting that the time be changed because of a previous engagement, this reschedule may take you out of the running for the position. No employer wants to be told they are not a priority, including future employers. It would be best for you to reschedule your morning appointment if you really want this job opportunity.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Writing
Recent edits by: Bobby-Jo Keats, Yuliya, hateletters