Whiten Your Teeth
Edited by Debbie, Charmed, Reema, Maria Sharon Ubando and 4 others
Who would not want pearly white teeth? Most of us envy people who have a nice shiny set. Celebrities' teeth are often really enviable. They feel very confident even if the camera gets an up-close look at them.
As kids, we've always been told by our teachers and parents to brush our teeth regularly to make them white, strong and healthy. Strong and healthy - perhaps you have achieved that. However, white teeth? Maybe not.
There are some people who naturally have darker or yellowish teeth. This does not mean, though, that they have poor oral hygiene. Genes also are a factor for dark teeth. The food we eat, medications we take and hygiene are other contributing factors in teeth darkening. (These will be briefly touched on later in the article.)
Dark teeth can sometimes lower one's self-esteem. Due to this, some people opt for teeth whitening procedures which are very costly. The cost of a teeth whitening procedure is around $500-800, depending on the case. Besides whitening, veneers are also a trend now.
Save some money for yourself with the whitening tips below.
Home Teeth Whitening Remedies
- 1Mix a little baking soda with lemon juice to make a paste. Get a Q-tip and dip in paste, and do each tooth individually. The paste should be left on your teeth for 15 minutes and then rinse. Do this two times a week.Baking Soda.Advertisement
- 2Use a cotton Q-tip and put extra virgin olive oil on it. Rub it on all your teeth. Wait for 15 minutes and then rinse.Olive Oil.Advertisement
- 3(Yes strawberries!) Cut a berry in half, and rub it all over your teeth, or mash it up and brush. Make sure you brush with toothpaste afterward, because strawberries have sugar in them. You will see a difference!Strawberries.
- 4Add a few drops of white vinegar, a dash of salt, and 1 tsp. baking soda. Mix and use to brush your teeth, followed by rinsing.Vinegar.
- 5Save that banana peel for later. Now, those peels can be a savior for your stained teeth. Rub the peeling on your teeth for a couple of minutes. Brush with your regular toothpaste after a few minutes. Do this process two or three times weekly and see the difference. Some minerals found in the peelings like magnesium, potassium and manganese penetrates deep inside the teeth remove the stains.Going Bananas.
- 6The acid found in lemon not only whitens the skin, but the teeth as well. You have the option to either apply lemon juice into your teeth or rub its peelings on them. The ratio should be equal - one part of lemon juice per part of water. Just do not overuse this technique, for the lemon's acid may damage your enamel. Once a week is the best frequency.Lemon.
- 7Who said that carrots are only good for your salads? The teeth love it too. With every bite of raw carrot, the teeth become more plaque-free, as they take away anything that could stain and cause darkening. Bite or rub them on your teeth; carrots can make them look whiter and sparkling.Eat more carrots.
Reasons for Teeth Staining/Darkening
- 1This is very important, not only for whiter teeth, but also for overall oral health.Poor Oral Hygiene.Advertisement
- 2Prescription medicines such as Tetracyclines, Minocycline and Chlorohexidine are known to cause staining.Some medications.
- 3There are things that we eat and drink that contribute to the discoloration of the teeth, such as tea, soda, coffee, red wine, soy sauce, tomato sauce and some berries.Food and Drink.
- 4There are some people who are born to have dark or yellow teeth. It is believed that darker, and especially the yellowish ones, are stronger.Genes.Advertisement
Tips and Warnings
- When you use over-the-counter whitening products, be sure they are FDA approved.
- When you opt for dental or aesthetic procedures, go only for the licensed ones. Always check their eligibility.
- Visit your dentist regularly.
- Replace your toothbrush regularly to ensure that the bristles can still clean hard to reach areas of the teeth.
- When you can't get rid of stain-causing drinks, at least use a straw. It keeps the stain-causing elements away from the teeth.
Tips Tricks & Warnings
Questions and Answers
How do I naturally make my teeth white i.e how do I remove the scales in my teeth without going to the dentist?
The color of my teeth is not white
Remove plaque from your teeth without seeing the dentist is a dream of many people. Some folk remedies do help people, but they are not as effective as what a dentist can do. However, some people may have hemophilia or pseudohemophilia, and their areas may not have doctors that have the right tools that prevent gums from being injured. Injuring a gum may lead to profuse bleeding for days for these people. Therefore, we shall review some hemophilia-friendly remedies that may help you a bit.
- Cheese before meal. Some countries have good aged cheese for sale. This is one of the best remedies to prevent plaque from forming. However, avoid this product if you are lactose-intolerant and eat peanuts instead.
- Baking soda with salt. You can brush your teeth with the tooth powder mixed with soda or salt. If you do not have tooth powder, just use baking soda and salt spread over your toothbrush. Brush your tongue as well to avoid spreading of bacteria.
- Before brushing, keep some extra-virgin coconut oil in your mouth for 10-20 minutes. Spit it out before brushing.
- Fruit and berries rich in vitamin C. Squish them against your teeth and keep it still for 5 minutes. You can use tomatoes, lemons, pamelos, papayas, strawberries, sweeties (oroblanco), etc.
- Aloe vera. Apply it by keeping its pulp against your teeth for 5-10 minutes.
- Spicy food. This promotes clean mouth.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Whiten Your Teeth. (2016). In VisiHow. Retrieved Apr 29, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Whiten_Your_Teeth
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Whiten Your Teeth." VisiHow, visihow.com/Whiten_Your_Teeth Accessed 29 Apr 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Whiten Your Teeth." Accessed Apr 29, 2017. http://visihow.com/Whiten_Your_Teeth.