Edited by Alma
Questions and Answers
What should I do with my obsessive and possessive boyfriend?
I love my boyfriend, but I think he is possessive and obsessive
Always re-assure your boyfriend and let him know who you hang out with. Take him with you when you go out. It is okay to tag him along, but not all the time. Tell him that in a relationship, there is a thing called trust. Ask him how it would feel if you would always be possessive with him to the point that he can't hang out with his friends. Tell him that the more he tightens his grip (obsessiveness and possessiveness), the more the relationship will seem to strangulate you. If this goes to the extent that he hits you regularly just to keep you by his side, leave him and let the authorities know.
Having a boyfriend with obsessive and possessive behavior might be quite hard to go along with especially if your boyfriend constantly monitors your every move. Below are some tips for you to properly deal with your boyfriend with obsessive and possessive behavior:
- Learn to say NO. There are some girls that passively do what their boyfriends tells them to do because they really loves their boyfriends and in some instances, their boyfriends acts like bosses telling their girlfriends what to do and what not to do. In this type of scenario, you are just supporting and enhancing your boyfriend's negative attitude. The best solution to this scenario is for you to once in a while refuse your boyfriend. By simply refusing your boyfriend, you are giving your boyfriend the idea that both of you are in equal terms.
- Set limits. If you really love your boyfriend, you need also to set limits on his actions. Tell him directly that what he's doing with you is not normal and it's making you feel more restrictive. Tell him that you also need time to do your own personal things.
- Introduce your boyfriend to your friends. By introducing your friends to your boyfriend, you are lessening his worries on you.
- Cool off. There are some couples that prefer to break-up temporarily for a few weeks or months for them to properly re-assess their relationship and to realize their faults which makes them change into a more mature couple.
The above tips are some ways for you to properly deal with your boyfriend who has possessive and obsessive behavior.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Relationships