Watch and Enjoy Bollywood Movies
Edited by Danish Qureshi, Eng, Lynn, Julia Moliere and 1 other
Bollywood is the Indian counterpart of Hollywood, which arose when film came to India in the early 20th century. Despite being in Hindi, Bollywood movies are getting popular the world over. Movies are also available with English subtitles. Film students and enthusiasts can learn some valuable points from Bollywood movies, so watch an Indian movie this weekend just for a change of pace. Warning! Beware of titillating content when watching a movie with kids.
How to watch a Bollywood movie
- 1First you need to get the Indian movie!Bollywood movies are available on CD's, DVD's or downloaded from the internet. Streaming services like Netflix and Hulu also occasionally have a small selection of Bollywood movies.Advertisement
- 2Indian movies are lengthy, so brace yourself for sitting for at least two to three hours before a TV or computer screen.Advertisement
- 3Appreciate the difference between Indian and Western movies.Bollywood flicks are quite a bit different from Hollywood movies. Tragedy, humor, and romance are usually all rolled into one. In the West, a movie generally gets one category, and though there may be a mix of genres sometimes, the primary emphasis of each film is to fit into one category. Bollywood films mix everything into one.
- 4Don't get distracted by abrupt choreographed songs.Indian cinema incorporates elements from classical Sanskrit theater. Classical Indian theater used dance, music and dialogues to narrate religious stories, and Bollywood films are full of these as well.
- 5Accept the cultural difference.The majority of Indians are Hindus and Muslims. Stories primarily deal these two groups. Some stories may incorporate Christian, Sikh, or Buddhist themes, as these communities also exist in India.Advertisement
- In Indian movies, all the basic emotions must be present, e.g., mirth, sadness, surprise, peace, hatred, etc., called Navarasa (nine emotions) in Sanskrit. In fact, Indian movies could be called a separate genre with subgenres, e.g., horror, romantic, mystery, musical, sci-fi etc. In contrast Hollywood movies emphasize on one emotion.
- Film students and enthusiasts may learn something valuable which they may incorporate in their future projects
- Bollywood movies are rich in music. A.R Rahman, famous Bollywood music composer won an Oscar for his compositions in "Slumdog Millionaire."
- Songs are a creative storytelling device to connect different scenes and situations in a movie. E.g., Hero meets the heroine in one scene and falls in love. This scene may be followed by a song, with hero, heroine with a group of extras dancing in choreographed steps.
- Some recommended must-see movies:3 Idiots (2009), Sholay (1975), Like Stars on Earth (2007), Barfi! (2012), Munnabhai M.B.B.S. (2003), Mother India (1957), Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (1995), Black (2005), Mughal-E-Azam (1960), Deewaar (1975), Kal Ho Naa Ho (2003), Kaagaz Ke Phool (1959), Awaara (1951), Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak (1988), Zanjeer (1973), Agneepath (1990), Yaadon Ki Baaraat (1973).
- Warning! If you plan to watch Indian movies along with your family (kids) then keep a remote control in your hands. With rising commercialism, explicit and sometimes downright pornographic content is now being used to attract viewers.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Entertainment
Recent edits by: Julia Moliere, Lynn, Eng