Wash Your Car in Winter
Edited by mahalia jovita b. bugasto, Graeme, Rebecca M., Lynn and 2 others
The intense weather during the winter can certainly ruin your cars facade and pristine paint. That is why even if the temperature outside is sub-zero, you still have to find time to wash your car and do some cold car care maintenance to ensure the road worthiness and the style of your car is still intact. By keeping your car clean and well maintained, you are assuring that you and the occupants of the car are safe and secure. The million dollar question is, how can we wash or cars during the winter time? Let me share some tips on how to do it:
- 1Things you'll need:Advertisement
- 2Baby shampoo or anything that is milderAdvertisement
- 32 medium sized buckets
- 4About 3 buckets of warm water
- 51 washing mitt
- 61 large cotton towel
- 7Preparation for Washing and Rinsing:
- 8Fill one of the medium sized buckets halfway with warm water.
- 9Add a cap full of the baby shampoo or any shampoo that is milder.
- 10Agitate the water to produce foam.
- 11Then fill the other bucket with warm water.Do not put baby shampoo in this bucket because it will be used for rinsing.
- Note: Before starting to wash the car, make sure that all snow and ice are off the car. You can use your mitten protected hands or a soft bristled brush to brush off all excess snow. But since ice tends to get stuck, you can use warm water to slowly melt it away.
- 12Procedures for Washing and Rinsing:
- Note: When washing cars in the winter dress appropriately. This is not the time for short shorts and bikinis. Dress warmly since you will be washing in a cold climate.
- 13Systematically wash your car.Start on the left portion of the car and go down to the bottom panels. Use the washing mitt to scrub off the dirt, snow and ice. After washing, rinse the left part. Now just repeat the procedure for the right side of the vehicle.
- 14Last are the wheels.Do not forget to scrub them with the washing mitt and rinse them afterwards. Your wheels suffer most when it comes to cold climates. You have to make sure they are clean and not slippery due to the ice sticking.
- 15Procedures for drying:
- 16After rinsing, immediately dry off the vehicle using a large cotton towel.Cotton is recommended because it absorbs better. Drying with a towel also lessens the risk of your doors freezing shut.
- 17Now your car is ready to battle the harsh weather during winter.Washing your car in winter time is not that difficult and it is recommended that you do this every other day for a better performance of your car.Advertisement
Questions and Answers
When is the best time to wash the car in winter?
The best time to wash your car in winter is before significant snowfall, and after the snow has mostly melted. Washing it on a regular basis is also fine, to make sure that grime and salt will be washed away. Washing your car in the freezing winter may, however, cause the car locks to freeze. You can apply graphite spray into the key slot before washing to prevent this from happening.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Automotive
Recent edits by: Eng, Lynn, Rebecca M.