Visit the locations displayed in the "Downton Abbey" televistion drama
Edited by Maria, Christine dela Cruz
Downton Abbey has captivated Worldwide audiences with it's drama and presence from Days Gone By. You can view certain locations within England to transport yourself back to the period.
Right below this writer's office in Ealing, London! Actually, the servants' quarters are all filmed on the lot here at Ealing Studios where I am writing this but for locations that you can visit, your first stop should be Highclere Castle in Hampshire. Even though Downton Abbey is supposed to be located in the rugged north of England in Yorkshire, the show is actually filmed among the gentler landscapes of the south east. This can surprise native Brits and anyone who knows English geography and expects wild, untamed scenery to surround the great house. Highclere is used for both interior and exterior shots and is about an hour from London's Paddington station by train. Fares are around £21 round trip. From there you will need to take a taxi. Cab fare will also come to about £21 one way! These days Downton is so popular that tours for the seasons when the house is open book months in advance. You may need to plan this trip for 2014.
If you can't get into Highclere, consider visiting the charming little Oxfordshire town of Bampton. This is where scenes of the local village are filmed, and St Mary's church here was the setting for Lady Mary's marriage to Matthew. The library was used as the cottage hospital. Bampton does not have rail service so a rental car is necessary.
How to Prepare a Travel Itinerary
- 1When you watch Downtown Abbey, pay attention to the names of the places that they mention on the show. It would help to do a search of the show so that you will get a more precise information as to the name of the places there.List down the places that you are targeting to visit.Advertisement
- 2You would like to find out what type of tourist destinations or other popular places that you can see in every location. If you have these types of information, it will be easier for you to actually plan your activities as well as the amount of money that you need to prepare. These are the types of places that you should research more about:Research what you can see in each of the places mentioned.Advertisement
- Tourist attractions. In each place, there must be at least one spot that is popular for visitors to see. It can be museums, libraries, universities, churches, and the like. Visiting these places will tell you a lot about a place and can also be a very educating experience.
- Restaurants. Traveling becomes more interesting when you get to try local cuisines. Food can tell you a lot about the culture of a particular place. It would be worthwhile to visit some of the most popular restaurants in an area. It does not have to be a very expensive place. In fact, a lot of good restaurants are the ones that look very local and they usually carry the type of cuisines that are most representative of the place.
- Hotels and other forms of accommodations. This is crucial, especially when you know you have to stay overnight or several nights in an area. You would like to research more about the available accommodations in the area as well as the overall feedback for those places. Safety is very important so you would want to research about how the environment is like.
- Public transportation centers. You have to know what types of transportation are available in a certain place. Also, you have to rather familiar with the stations and other centers where you have to go in order to avail of these modes of transport.
- 3Traveling does not always have to focus on one area alone. It is good to be able to visit the surrounding areas as well, especially if it's accessible anyway. What's good in the UK is most of the cities are interconnected via their train system, so a side trip to the surrounding areas may be worthwhile to do.Research on the surrounding areas.
- 4Do not go to a place with just a general idea on what you'd like to do. A simple plan will be very useful, especially if you are following the schedule of trains and the like. A little bit of deviation is alright, but if you have a plan, your trip will become more organized and you avoid wasting a lot of time in between.Plan your schedule and time.Advertisement
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Visit the locations displayed in the "Downton Abbey" televistion drama. (2015). In VisiHow. Retrieved Apr 25, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Visit_the_locations_displayed_in_the_%22Downton_Abbey%22_televistion_drama
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Visit the locations displayed in the "Downton Abbey" televistion drama." VisiHow, visihow.com/Visit_the_locations_displayed_in_the_%22Downton_Abbey%22_televistion_drama Accessed 25 Apr 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Visit the locations displayed in the "Downton Abbey" televistion drama." Accessed Apr 25, 2017. http://visihow.com/Visit_the_locations_displayed_in_the_%22Downton_Abbey%22_televistion_drama.